Sacramento County, CA GOP advocates torture

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
(unabashedly ripped from this morning's DKos News Roundup diary, and elsewhere)

Material linking Obama to Bin Laden removed from Sacramento GOP Web site
efletcher@sacbee.com
Published Wednesday, Oct. 15, 2008

Sacramento County Republican leaders Tuesday took down offensive material on their official party Web site that sought to link Sen. Barack Obama to Osama bin Laden and encouraged people to "Waterboard Barack Obama" ? material that offended even state GOP leaders.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has pushed the party to try to broaden its appeal, took issue with the site. "In the governor's view, it's completely and totally inappropriate," said Julie Soderlund, a Schwarzenegger spokeswoman.

Hector Barajas, a California Republican Party spokesman, said Democrats have been playing the race card, but that the local party went too far in this instance.

He said the campaign should be about who is ready to be the nation's commander-in-chief, that Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain has never questioned Obama's patriotism, and that he'd ask local leaders to take down the offensive content.

Taking credit for the site (sacramentorepublicans.org) and its content was county party chairman Craig MacGlashan ? husband of Sacramento County Supervisor Roberta MacGlashan.

The Bee asked MacGlashan about the content after seeking his reaction to hate-filled graffiti that was spray-painted over an Obama display on a fence at Fair Oaks Boulevard and Garfield Avenue.

In recent weeks, MacGlashan, an attorney, joined local Democratic party officials in condemning vandalism to political displays.

The vandalism to the Obama display appeared to have been done overnight Monday. A racial epithet, profanity, "KKK" and the words "white power" were clearly visible from the roadway. Six of the nine fence panels were defaced.

"What you are describing to me is not free speech, it's vandalism. We don't condone it," MacGlashan said.

But he defended his Web site. "I'm aware of the content," he said. "Some people find it offensive, others do not. I cannot comment on how people interpret things."

MacGlashan said he would "consider people's complaints" before taking any action.

SacBee's screencap of the material in question

Link to Story

I know, I'm supposed to leave some personal editorial commentary, but what can I say?

If that ain't enough, how about a fake Anthrax scare at an Obama campaign office in Philly...

Feds Investigate Threatening Letter Sent To Obama Campaign Office
Substance Later Determined To Be Sugar
Last Edited: Tuesday, 14 Oct 2008, 10:14 PM EDT
Created: Tuesday, 14 Oct 2008, 5:31 PM EDT

WTXF-TV Fox 29 News

PHILADELPHIA -- There was a scare Tuesday at the South Philadelphia campaign headquarters of Democratic Sen. Barack Obama.

The office at 15th and Christian streets was filled with volunteers around 5 p.m. when one of them brought in the mail and opened a letter that had a note and a powdery substance on it that immediately set off alarms.

She notified a supervisor. Then, they placed the letter outside, evacuated the building and called police.

Fortunately, the substance found in the letter was harmless and nobody was hurt. But the incident is still under investigation as a threat, Fox 29's Sharon Crowley reported.

Philadelphia police, fire officials, hazardous materials teams, the Secret Service, FBI and the U.S. Postal Service responded to the presidential nominee's campaign office.

Linky

Ironically enough, the Right Wing of American politics has convinced itself that its current state of bowl-swirling is due to the efforts of the Evil ACORN. And the Media, of course.

(Don't tell them that the latter news report came from FOX).

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
I guess it's time to ressurect the "local D's and R's doing stupid stuff during the national election" threads.

Here's burnedout's thread from 4 years ago:
Link

Things seem a bit calmer this time around. Lefties not as freaked at the prospect of 4 years of McCain/Palin as they were about 4 more years of Bush/Cheney I'm thinking.

Bush Lite :)

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: alchemize
I guess it's time to ressurect the "local D's and R's doing stupid stuff during the national election" threads.

Here's burnedout's thread from 4 years ago:
Link

Things seem a bit calmer this time around. Lefties not as freaked at the prospect of 4 years of McCain/Palin as they were about 4 more years of Bush/Cheney I'm thinking.

Bush Lite :)

I perused the linked thread.

Plenty of dumbfuckery to be found within, but this ain't 2004.

In the first case I cited, we have a political organization, not some random individual, advocating physical harm to a candidate.

In the second case, we have something that goes beyond the scope of a simple death threat, because it involved the physical actualization of a threat, intended to be seen as potentially lethal, delivered to the target via a federal organ (the USPS). It's now the subject of a federal criminal investigation. Not to mention the thousands of taxpayer dollars that a HazMat retreival and investigation racks up.

I'm not buying your attempt at an equivalency.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
saw this on the sacbee website and my jaw dropped.

Sactown's gonna get some national exposure....and it ain't gonna be pretty! :p

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
I read this just a few minutes ago in the newspaper. This sort of extremism is getting out of hand, on both sides, yet this will be "apologized" for and "explained" away. Can't un-ring a bell, blah blah blah.
Between people from the Right calling for the murder of Obama and now this, it's hard to be truly conservative these days without appearing to be wearing a Brown Shirt.
" They SAY... It's all about to End".... < Current Favorite Song

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
You know, seriously Republicans, do you think this sort of hateful BS is going to win you an election? Not even close. :thumbsdown:

GOP Site in California Removes 'Waterboard Obama' Graphic

The Sacramento Republican Party's Web site encouraged readers to "Waterboard Barack Obama" and compared Obama to Usama bin Laden, drawing criticism from state and local Democrats and Republicans.

A California county's Republican Party Web site encouraged readers to "Waterboard Barack Obama" and compared Obama to Usama bin Laden, drawing criticism on Wednesday from Democrats and Republicans in the state.

The Web site of the Sacramento County Republican Party posted five illustrations saying that the terrorist group Hamas supported Obama and that "the only difference between Obama and Osama is BS." Another attacked Michelle Obama, reading, "Hey Obama! Want to see bitter?"

The graphics were removed from the site by Wednesday, after the state GOP urged the local group to take them down.

The state Republican Party learned of the controversial content when it received a phone call from a reporter, said party spokesman Hector Barajas.

"I called the Sacramento county chairman and I had them remove it," Barajas said. "I also noted to them that this is a complete distraction from what we're trying to do, and that's elect John McCain and Sarah Palin as the next president and vice president of the United States."

Sacramento County Republican Chairman Craig MacGlashan could not be reached for comment Wednesday afternoon, but the Sacramento Bee reported that he defended the Web site's content.

"I'm aware of the content," MacGlashan told the newspaper. "Some people find it offensive, others do not. I cannot comment on how people interpret things."

By Tuesday night the graphics had been removed. "These types of innuendos have absolutely no place in this election," Barajas said. "This isn't a thing we want out there."

Barajas said the slurs asserting Obama was Muslim and tying him to terrorism were like the Democratic Party's attempts make race an issue in the election.

"I think it's a distraction... I figured that we would have moved far beyond this, and as a person of color I'd rather have a discussion on the issues and why Barack Obama is not ready to be commander in chief," Barajas said.

Bob Mulholland, spokesman for the California Democratic Party, said that the state party wasn't focusing on the incident.

"The big picture, that's where we're focusing," Mulholland said.

"I think the Republicans will be indicted on Nov. 4, so the jury will speak then. The verdict will be Barack Obama for president. We'll be picking up House seats. We'll be picking up Senate seats."

He called the Sacramento County GOP's move just one more flailing attempt to stop the Republicans' slide "down that path of oblivion."

Foxnews.com

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
This is what happens when republicans take away all books but the bible from their kids.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
You know, seriously Republicans, do you think this sort of hateful BS is going to win you an election? Not even close. :thumbsdown:

GOP Site in California Removes 'Waterboard Obama' Graphic

Sacramento County Republican Chairman Craig MacGlashan could not be reached for comment Wednesday afternoon, but the Sacramento Bee reported that he defended the Web site's content.

"I'm aware of the content," MacGlashan told the newspaper.

"Some people find it offensive, others do not.

I cannot comment on how people interpret things."

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
he's a liberal plant like the guy in all the gop rallies that yells 'kill him'....

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Painman:

Huh? There's been plenty of wingnut dems that have said shit about Bush/Cheney being killed/tortured. And I recall idiot republicans saying bad things shoud happen to clinton back in the day. Your shit stinks too.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
In WI, the democrats are HUGE hate mongers. I mean, the ads around here by Obama are sickening. I'm surprised that they aren't claiming that McCain eats babies for breakfast. So don't go thinking that Democrats are high and mighty and not pulling the same crap. I'm SOOOOO sick of Obama and his attack ads around here.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Jesus. I'm from Sacramento and I used to drive through that intersection all the time. As long as California Republicans stay crazy, the worst we'll have to deal with is another Arnold.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Originally posted by: XZeroII
In WI, the democrats are HUGE hate mongers. I mean, the ads around here by Obama are sickening. I'm surprised that they aren't claiming that McCain eats babies for breakfast. So don't go thinking that Democrats are high and mighty and not pulling the same crap. I'm SOOOOO sick of Obama and his attack ads around here.

When anyone on the Dem side claims McCain is eating babies, we'll call it even.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: XZeroII

Sorry but facts don't support your view because the McCain campaign is running a higher % of negative ads than Obama.

Show me where Obama or Biden said anything as controversial as Palin's 'palling around with a terrorist' comment. McCain attacked away last night on Ayers and Obama's response was to explain the (lack of) relationship. Obama could have opened up Keating or Troopergate but he didn't. His worst 'attack' was to note the fringe idiots in the McCain/Palin rallies yelling 'kill him' and 'terrorist'.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I think the "waterboard Obama" is the worst offender.

God I've never seen that anywhere on anything before.

That kind of comment is stupid and hateful and inflammatory.

is it a bumper sticker?

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Woah, woah, woah now. Allow me to put this all in perspective for the "Leftist Pinkie Commies" in P&N:

This is the same town that gave us manslaughter by stupid contest (Hold your wee for a Wii).

This is the same town where the 'University' is most famous for the football team spraying each other down with PAM on the sidelines (Which made national headlines for it's sheer stupidity).

This is the same town that has housed such bastions of genius as Willie Brown, Gray Davis, Pete Wilson, and Darth Raider.

This is the same town that experienced horrible flooding in 1997/98 when the levees broke and later that year greenlighted THOUSANDS of new homes be built on the land that was under water only months prior (*ahem*NATOMAS*ahem*).

Are you really surprised by the insipid, vacuous dearth of intelligence and decency in Sac?