Sabbath Mode??!!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Optional mode is optional.

Dont like it? Dont use it then.

Stupid mode is stupid.

Naw, I just won't buy it then. Religious quandary solved.

images

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Stupid mode is stupid.

Naw, I just won't buy it then. Religious quandary solved.

Um..... just about every stove has them now..... especially the higher end ones. I ended up with a LG stove that has Sabbath mode, it gets installed in a few weeks. Good luck finding one that doesn't. It strikes me as hilarious that a feature that allows a small minority of Jews to put one over on their God has become a standard feature on all stoves.

Last edited:

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
Its not just stoves, but refrigerators too. The refrigerator Sabbath mode works on the principal that when you open the door on the Sabbath, the light is always on and the thermostat is disabled (timer used instead), so that you can use the fridge without causing a light to go on or the compressor to turn on. After the Sabbath, the fridge reverts back to normal light and thermostat usage.

As many have said, if you have no need for this feature, don't buy it. Basically it is only the orthodox Jewish who require it. You might ask, what did they do before Sabbath stoves and refrigerators? They used a piece of duct tape over the light switch. As for stoves, they used a separate hot plate with a plug timer.

Any stove or refrigerator that has a Sabbath mode, you will be paying more for due to this extra option being built in. Like others have said, if you don't need it, buy a different stove. If you are offended, send Best Buy or the manufacturer of the stove a letter protesting. Because the orthodox Jewish stove/refrigerator buyers are such a small demographic, it would not take many letters for the manufacturer to decided to stop with the Sabbath appliances.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
This sends you into a religious quandary?

My, you're a delicate little flower aren't you?

Why yes, yes I am. At any rate, I can always scrape the stupid mode off if all else fails, while I'm baking my magical clay Golem.

clay_golem_by_armoredthirteen-d4tk261.png

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Why not scrape the stupid mode off now, theres no reason for you to be stuck in it.

And you thought I was the delicate little flower...

When my magical Golem cools, you will see what a REAL religious fable can do to you, by golly gosh darn it! I may replace your hideous lawn gnome with it!

images

Last edited:

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
BSHOLE - Do you get equally upset about Kosher pickles or Kosher Hotdogs? Do you avoid brands like Hebrew National? Do you get upset when you drive through St. Paul, MN or St. Cloud, MN?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Why would a pickle not be kosher? o_O

:sneaky:
Um, because pickles are one of the few times that non-kosher tastes better?

Far too many people are missing the tone of the OP, which is 90% entertainment with 10% WTF? I for one was also surprised to learn that stoves now have a Sabbath mode, and similarly amused by the rules lawyering that makes it a desirable feature.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Um, because pickles are one of the few times that non-kosher tastes better?

Far too many people are missing the tone of the OP, which is 90% entertainment with 10% WTF? I for one was also surprised to learn that stoves now have a Sabbath mode, and similarly amused by the rules lawyering that makes it a desirable feature.

No matter what you think of Bill Maher, there is a segment in that movie Religulous where he talks to a guy whose whole business is built around designing rules lawyering devices to help escape Sabbath restrictions.

Some of the devices and rationales are truly hilarious.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Just buy doughnuts the day before. I think Jesus is thinking that Jews are kind of stupid. I wonder if they are allowed to kneel to pray? That is work to me. I use to eat cake for breakfast.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
No matter what you think of Bill Maher, there is a segment in that movie Religulous where he talks to a guy whose whole business is built around designing rules lawyering devices to help escape Sabbath restrictions.

Some of the devices and rationales are truly hilarious.
I think very little of Maher as I'm sure you suspected, but this is one point where I'd agree with him and you. I used to spend a lot of time of Jewish philosophical, news, history and religion sites, and one question that has stuck with me almost twenty years is whether or not causing a motion detector to turn on the lights constitutes work. It's as though G-d cannot see your soul, only whether or not your electric meter moves.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
:oops:
It's sad and funny how easily but-hurt atheists get these days.

Who in hell can't spell BUTT?

And you could pretty much replace "atheists" with any group imaginable in your statement, which was a pretty poor generalization to start with. BUTT most adults would already know this. So what is your excuse?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I don't want other people's religious fantasies pushed down my throat... ESPECIALLY IN MY OWN FUCKING HOME! It is morally repugnant to me. They might as well slaughter a goat to their god in my living room, it is the same god damn thing.
:confused: you don't have to turn it on :confused: