Discussion [SA] Intel should not launch Ice Lake-SP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
OK lets get this out in the open right away, Intel’s Ice Lake-SP CPU is a dog, it loses at just about everything but a few benchmarks that heavily use it’s already deprecated AI instructions. For anything real world it is badly outclassed by both AMD’s and Intel’s own offerings, at times by multiples not percentages. Intel should simply not launch it, the damage it will do to their reputation, customer relations, and investor confidence far outweigh the meager marketing halo they will attempt to grab.

Not a subscriber, so I can't see the numbers... But that's a pretty bold headline. I dread to think how much Ice Lake has been neutered to get it out the door.

ksec

Mar 5, 2010
GAA is interesting. There was the recent blog post from an Intel engineer which claimed that Intel tried to get GAAFETs working for 7nm, but had to abandon it and be less ambitious with 7nm.

Is there any link to it, Or was it from Taiwan Sources? ( Which was nonsense )

Intel has always been committing to EUV in 7nm and ( Possible ) GAA at 5nm.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Aside from selling his premium access (after all nothing sells like clickbait excerpts that make you want to read the rest...) I do feel his constant doomsaying was to counterbalance the unwarranted high rating Intel got in the market for way too long. It's telling that Intel's stock only significantly dropped when Swan admitted the issues with 7nm may warrant a change of course. I mean duh, everybody looking at the technical developments since 2015 should see that there are real serious issues, but apparently Intel's constant sugarcoating (and nice financial stats) was always sufficient for everybody to look the other way. Only Charlie repeatedly put it in (exaggerated) words.
This.

The real hyperbole is not Charlie Demerjian's articles, but almost every official OnTrack™ Intel press release or quarterly report of the past 3 years.