S754 Board Suggestions

sheemone00

Sep 17, 2003
First, I don't really want to upgrade my whole system yet to Core2 Duo so I want to try to salvage my machine if I can.

My rig has been giving me some problems lately (My Problem) and I think it might be the motherboard.

I need a Socket 754 board with SATA & AGP.

I've seen a few that I have been intrigued by:

Biostar

ECS

MSI

Any other suggestions are welcome.

I just want another year out of my current rig, then hopefully I can upgrade around next summer.

Thanks in advance.

SerpentRoyal

Banned
May 20, 2007
MSI or Biostar. Not sure if the MSI is a used board. The ECS NF4 754 is a very good board. Got mine up to 276MHz FSB. CPU was the bottleneck. Currently running ECS KN1 Lite (essentially same board with 939 socket) at 297MHz FSB.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I like the MSI, its cheap, and I've had good luck with their K8N boards. You can start a wanted to buy, and scout For sale forums too, someone probably has one they are looking to sell.

BTW, check the caps for bulging and leaking, many Soltek boards suffered from using faulty capacitors that afflicted almost every board maker. If that is the problem, you can google up which ones you need and replace them yourself, or have someone else handy with soldering do it. Or buy the new board which is the easiest solution.

Ozoneman

Nov 15, 2005
I just upgraded from the MSI K8N. It was still running great when I pulled it out of the case. Worked well for 3 years. Now it's in a box in the attic. I may use it to build my sister a new PC. She's still using an Athlon Tbird 1400.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
The ECS NF4-754 is a solid board for PCIE. If it's got to be AGP, I'd take their 755-A2 again anytime.