S6 Edge Plus Vs S8 Plus

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I'm still looking for a reason to upgrade. Am I missing something here?

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S8,Samsung-Galaxy-S6-edge/phones/10312,9524

Both phones have beautiful infinity displays... S8 is a bit bigger 6.1 vs 5.7

Both phones have Octa core CPU's S8 should be a bit faster (probably not by much)

Same 4GB of RAM

Both phones have same camera S6 uses 16MP sensor S8 12 MP

Same OS

Pretty much same battery (S8 slightly bigger)

When I look at phones I value these things

CPU, CAMERA, RAM, Screen Size, and High Pixel density DPI.

Camera should be fast and good looking pics. I feel the S6 is pretty nice and takes wonderful shots. I was hoping the S8 would have dual camera's.

The only thing I can really think of that might bother me in keeping my S6 till the next iteration, is google will take FOREVER to upgrade to the newer OS. But, that seems ok with me, as I didn't really see much differences other than improved battery life with nugget. I really like the looks of S6 Plus

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
SD card.
For me that's the biggest dealbreaker with the S6, especially since we all now know adding one wasn't a big deal, even with Samsung's 'sleeker just for the sake of it, not because it adds anything of any use' kick they were on.

Otherwise, the S6 is still a great device. If you're happy with it, why even worry about what's newer?

We're all programmed like good little consumers to think these things aren't up to par the second the 'new shiney' is announced.

I lust for the new often enough myself... but this cycle I think I'm pretty justified. I never wanted an s7 just had to settle for one after the n7. Now I want a Note 8 asap. My s7 is technically good enough (minus my s-pen) but there's going to be a N8 that's mine.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
The only thing I can really think of that might bother me in keeping my S6 till the next iteration, is google will take FOREVER to upgrade to the newer OS. But, that seems ok with me, as I didn't really see much differences other than improved battery life with nugget. I really like the looks of S6 Plus

Blaming Google seems a little silly to me, perhaps you need to understand the android update process before leveling blame. And this is the biggest reason I wanted a purely Google device, because if you solely rely on Google you get updates immediately along their yearly update cadence. But for a variety of reasons I ended up with an S8 instead, now I need to wait for Samsung to verify Google's updates and add bloatware before I wait for my carrier to verify both Google and Samsung's updates and add bloatware of their own before I'll receive updates.

I agree with you assertion that phones are still perfectly viable after a few years, so if it's annoying waiting for Samsung to pass along updates (if they bother at all), the kicker is they stop supporting the product at all (after ~2 years). This is what artificially kills the device. And this is, imho, the best reason to root a phone and install something like CyanogenMod (now Lineage OS). With up to date software I've used "flagship" level phones for 4+ years easily.

I don't know much about the S6, but the S8 has a few features which are obviously much better; Like the low light camera performance, SD card slot, and waterproofing. Other features like the HDR screen and Google Daydream compatibility are missing atm but could also be a plus in the long term.

Reactions: ericlp

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Both phones have beautiful infinity displays... S8 is a bit bigger 6.1 vs 5.7
There's nothing infinity about the s6 display, the tiny bezel's on the s8 make the phone look very high end

Both phones have Octa core CPU's S8 should be a bit faster (probably not by much)
s8 scores 170k in antutu, s6+ does 60k, that's much

Same 4GB of RAM
looks like

Both phones have same camera S6 uses 16MP sensor S8 12 MP
Same? the s7/s8's sensor autofocus' instantly, its currently the king of low light pics

Same OS
looks like

Pretty much same battery (S8 slightly bigger)
17% bigger is not same
Lets not forget about the water resistance and sdcard, plus much faster storage performance, the list goes on. There's nothing similar about these two devices, they're worlds apart. Try one at a store, and play with the camera, you'll see how amazing it is.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Not the same battery. Only looking at battery size doesn't tell the whole story. I'm getting unbelievable battery performance out of my S8+, the S6 Edge wouldn't come close.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Going from an S7 Edge to an S8+ was a big enough jump for me. I still use my Note 7 and will definitely get the Note 8 when it hits. I can't stay with a phone longer than 6 months. It's a sickness I have.

Reactions: ericlp

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
As much as I like samsung, the S6 + looks too much like the S8, yeah, it's got a thinner top and bottom bezel, but the infinity screens are the same......... Dunno, how they can be different, unless the curved glass is more curved on the s8? Doubt it...

Samsung does make the best Lithium Ion Batteries. As long as it doesn't burn down your home! :) So far so good. It does last a long time!

Read this article about the Phone's Camera.

http://phandroid.com/2017/05/04/galaxy-s8-vs-s7-vs-s6-vs-s5-camera-test/

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/30/15121380/samsung-galaxy-s8-camera-specs-megapixels

It Hasn't changed.

As for the SD card, internal storage stock is fine with me. I still have plenty to go.

As for taking a shower with my phone? Sure, having a dust and water resistant phone is a plus.. But, it's not something that is high up on my mark.

Still waiting, for something worth upgrading....I guess if the S8 had a camera that everyone was raving about, I'd upgrade as that is one thing that is high on my list. So far, Meh....

Waiting for S9.... Sigh.

Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
As much as I like samsung, the S6 + looks too much like the S8, yeah, it's got a thinner top and bottom bezel, but the infinity screens are the same......... Dunno, how they can be different, unless the curved glass is more curved on the s8? Doubt it...

Samsung does make the best Lithium Ion Batteries. As long as it doesn't burn down your home! :) So far so good. It does last a long time!

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/30/15121380/samsung-galaxy-s8-camera-specs-megapixels

It Hasn't changed.

As for the SD card, internal storage stock is fine with me. I still have plenty to go.

As for taking a shower with my phone? Sure, having a dust and water resistant phone is a plus.. But, it's not something that is high up on my mark.

Still waiting, for something worth upgrading....I guess if the S8 had a camera that everyone was raving about, I'd upgrade as that is one thing that is high on my list. So far, Meh....

Waiting for S9.... Sigh.

What about the Note 8? It sounds like you're getting an iPhone 7 Plus-style dual camera and a screen slightly larger than that from the S8 Plus. You can completely ignore the S Pen if that's not your thing.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004

It Hasn't changed.

Waiting for S9.... Sigh.

The S6 is NOT an "infinity display". The bezels are far too large. Minimal bezel = infinity display. S6e+ = maximum bezel. Not only that, but the S8 is 5.8" with a 572ppi and the S6e+ is 518ppi.

Battery: SD835 SoC smokes the Exynos 7420 in every category, including battery efficiency. If you have a CDMA model S6+, it gets even better, because the CDMA models have a separate radio chip for CDMA, as Samsung didn't build CDMA into the SoC. S8 doesn't even get warm while fast charging.

Camera: Megapixels are NOT the metric to judge a camera by. If that were the case, my 18Mp Point n Shoot from 2007 would blow away these phones, but the phone cameras just absolutely DESTROY it. The S8 has better lenses, better internals, newer sensors and image processors and more capable software. My Note 4 has the exact same camera from the module to the software, as the S6e+ and the S8 buries it.

That's not even mentioning the S8's superior fingerprint reader (S6 has the same swipe junk as the Note4), IP68 water resistance rating, Bluetooth 5, dual Bluetooth, virtual home button, AoD, uSD card slot, USB-C.

Reactions: Oyeve

legcramp

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
Buries not so much.. slightly kicked some dust on it is what I got from reading the article.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Buries not so much.. slightly kicked some dust on it is what I got from reading the article.
S8 has an f/1.7 aperture, S6 is f/1.9. Can the S6 shoot in RAW? Does it have Pro mode?

Edit: Since I don't have my S6 anymore (mine was a lemon, gave it to Verizon) I subbed in my Note 4 Here's a sampling of pics taken with 3 phones. You tell me which is which.
http://imgur.com/a/xZbH8
One is the Note 4, one is the S8 and one is the LG G6, a phone I'm actually super impressed by and wish I would've gotten it before I got the S8.

Last edited:

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The S6 is NOT an "infinity display"
I don't think its worth replying to this thread anymore, when someone thinks that a camera between 3 generations of phones is identical you know they've lost their mind.

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I don't think its worth replying to this thread anymore, when someone thinks that a camera between 3 generations of phones is identical you know they've lost their mind.
Yeah, I'm thinking he's stuck with the s6 and wants to quantify that. I skipped over the 6 as it had no SD slot. Don't regret it.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Thanks for all the replies, I guess if you can't read the links I gave, then nothing will convince you that the hardware in the camera hasn't changed much and for what has changed is negotiable of any enhancements it have made over the older hardware.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Lets see, the S9, already in the works....

Samsung Galaxy S9 Camera:
As of the latest rumor, the Samsung Galaxy S9 will be sporting the Dual Camera with 21-megapixel rear cameras. Also, will have a dual tone LED flash for better low light capture. Front camera expected to be 8MP with single LED flash.

I have listed the expected features of the Samsung Galaxy S9. Keep it in mind that these features are just rumors. There is no official announcement about Samsung Galaxy S9. In this article “Galaxy S9 rumors, features, specifications” I have highlighted the most expected feature of Galaxy S9, that’d be nice if Samsung comes with those features.

Now don't bail out on me now people... That's what I'm waiting for... :D

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
You're still using the incorrect thinking that more megapixels is better. The Phandroid article is bunk, because they aren't really an authority on camera performance. Go check DXO mobile for real camera professionals testing. Don't pay any attention to the actual score numbers however, the important part is the image analysis.

The S9 is more than a year off. If you were smart, you'd simply dismiss any rumors out of hand - Concrete rumors on devices never come out till just a couple months before device release.

Last edited:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Why does everything have to devolve into a useless battle?

If you like your S6 and it works for you... great for you. If you want something newer (the whole looking for a reason to upgrade bit) then get something newer. Silly though to try and argue tooth and nail with people who have the newer stuff that the older is just as good.

There's much more stuff worthy of doing battle over than a silly consumer choice that virtually anyone can make.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Larger default memory and SD card slot, along with improvements in performance from newer components would be the short list.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Why does everything have to devolve into a useless battle?
He's literally saying something two generations old is the exact same thing as a brand new flagship release, while simultaneously not knowing what he's talking about.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
The S6 was a great phone for its time but battery on the S8 lasts almost twice as long. I will be curious to know what Samsung does with dual-camera setup but what I have seen so far from other phones are underwhelming to say the least.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
My $0.02 on this is simple. The fact that the s8 has ridiculous battery life while being far more powerful than its predecessors says everything. That's what new tech brings. While you may not necessarily notice it is faster (I do compared previous phones like the Note4 and S6), the battery life is truly eye-opening. That's always the #1 short coming with smart phones. I loved how I could use flip phones for days without worrying about charging.