Question S4 and beyond

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nalyk

May 21, 2009
So my Samsung S4 is starting to linger on it's last legs. It will hard reset of it's own accord, most often when I've got chrome open and I'm just messing around reading wikipedia or something. In an attempt to get my phone to quit hard resetting on it's own (often when it does this it will also take a few times before it will completely boot, hitching at different loading screens along the way), I did a factory reset. Wiping the hard drive mitigated a lot of the problem, but it still occurs about 25% to 30% as often as it did before. I'm inexperienced in loading new Versions of OS's onto phones, but I'm wondering if that would solve the problem, any advice to help me trouble shoot would be welcome.

Because of the aforementioned problems, I've been considering upgrading to a new phone. I mostly use my phone for browsing the internet, listening to podcasts, books or music, and sometimes watching videos on youtube. So if I do replace it, I don't really need something super intense to get the job done. All that aside, I want something with a headphone jack, and have been considering the S9, or the OnePlus 5 or 6 with a heavy lean into the 5 or the 6 because of price, and the streamlined implementation of the OS.

The problem with new phone options is that I really don't want to pay 800+ and financing charges by purchasing a new phone from AT&T or changing carriers to T-mobile. So I've been looking at phones on amazon and newegg trying to learn the in's and outs of purchasing an unlocked phone. I would appreciate any recommendations.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I'm seeing brand new Samsung Galaxy S8s on eBay for $338 and new Oneplus 5s for $320 while that a6 plus looks to go for $250.

We paid $200 for our S8s and our S9 but we are locked in to get those prices.

Cool thing about the 8s and 9s is that they can be used with DeX which we find very handy. Using DeX now...

Nalyk

May 21, 2009
250 was the price I kept seeing around Newegg and amazon. Though I suppose I could opt out and just try to buy a new battery for my s4. I really think that's what the problem is. After 4 years of use, I think the battery is simply getting long in the tooth.

Nalyk

May 21, 2009
For the record I decided upon the motor g6 play. Motorola had it on sale for 150 and it seemed like a solid performer and a solid deal.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
We just picked up Moto G6 play for the son.
Dirt cheap. Grab a sd card and you have tons of space.
Huge battery.
Charged it on Sunday and we kept it on the side to allow all the updates to run and set him up with accounts and basic stuff
Last night I picked it up and it was 67%. I admit it was with light use but you will be happy with the battery life. Will be interesting to see it with Android pie on it.

Nalyk

May 21, 2009
We just picked up Moto G6 play for the son.
Dirt cheap. Grab a sd card and you have tons of space.
Huge battery.
Charged it on Sunday and we kept it on the side to allow all the updates to run and set him up with accounts and basic stuff
Last night I picked it up and it was 67%. I admit it was with light use but you will be happy with the battery life. Will be interesting to see it with Android pie on it.

I'm pretty excited about it honestly. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to swap in the 64gig sd card in my s4, or simply buy another one, for however dirt cheap they're going for now.