S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SOC End of Game Question

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
OK...I will try to explain my situation...

I believe I am at the end or very near the end.

I went through the segment toward the end where you have to walk through the soccer stadium with the rocket launcher dudes...

Now the next level there are attack choppers and random guys everywhere...

It seems like the second you take one of them out they swarm on you like a swarm of bee's

and once the choppers spot you it is over...

I had managed to take one out with an RPG (Red Dawn Style) but that just magically alerted the other two where I was and led to my eventual death 5 seconds later.

I have tried to sprint to the target (getting half way there and having the timer kick off) but again, there are at least a half dozen guys by that door and no available cover just wind up dying...

I have sparse ammo...mostly the ak-47 which is about as accurate as a blind man trying to hit a pig in the ass with a hand full of rice from 10 yards...

For those of you who beat this part...how did you go about doing it?

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
OK...I will try to explain my situation...

I believe I am at the end or very near the end.

I went through the segment toward the end where you have to walk through the soccer stadium with the rocket launcher dudes...

Now the next level there are attack choppers and random guys everywhere...

It seems like the second you take one of them out they swarm on you like a swarm of bee's

and once the choppers spot you it is over...

I had managed to take one out with an RPG (Red Dawn Style) but that just magically alerted the other two where I was and led to my eventual death 5 seconds later.

I have tried to sprint to the target (getting half way there and having the timer kick off) but again, there are at least a half dozen guys by that door and no available cover just wind up dying...

I have sparse ammo...mostly the ak-47 which is about as accurate as a blind man trying to hit a pig in the ass with a hand full of rice from 10 yards...

For those of you who beat this part...how did you go about doing it?

To conserve resources, snipe as many of the rocket launcher dudes as you can before you start moving. Do not cross directly across the field, circle around the sides staying off the field. Move fast then kill the remaining rocket guys closer in when you are on their side of the stadium. You can avoid most rockets by getting behind some cover, their reload time is quite long. Pick up better weapons from the stadium area, how did you wind up only having only one lesser quality weapon by this point? Stealth is your friend as are better long distance weapons once you get to the next place.

Last edited:

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
I tried to find one of those energy sniper rifles during my time on the stadium quest...but no luck...just got the kills no guns...

I didn't venture out into the middle of the stadium field, and did go around the side which is how I got the rocket launcher in the first place (after killing the two guys)

Now I am on the next leg of the journey and have about 100 rounds of various weapons (3 or 4 rifles) no sniper rounds and like 300 rounds with the AK

At the beginning of the level there are 3 different snipers, each easy to kill and yield about 20 rounds of sniper ammo...

But the constant buzzing of the choppers is what is damming on this level...

Once they got you pegged you are screwed which is why I contempated on taking them out to remove them from the equation.

I am also playing with the Complete 2009 Mod if that makes any difference...

I haven't had a ton of time to sit down and go all over with the game...if I stumble across a cool gun or can buy one then great, otherwise it has been pretty vanilla to this point...

I would have liked to explore more but not that much time...I have been trying to beat this game for close to three years :) on and off...

To conserve resources, snipe as many of the rocket launcher dudes as you can before you start moving. Do not cross directly across the field, circle around the sides staying off the field. Move fast then kill the remaining rocket guys closer in when you are on their side of the stadium. You can avoid most rockets by getting behind some cover, their reload time is quite long. Pick up better weapons from the stadium area, how did you wind up only having only one lesser quality weapon by this point? Stealth is your friend as are better long distance weapons once you get to the next place.

rangda

Nov 20, 2006
But the constant buzzing of the choppers is what is damming on this level...

Once they got you pegged you are screwed which is why I contempated on taking them out to remove them from the equation.

I am also playing with the Complete 2009 Mod if that makes any difference...

I haven't had a ton of time to sit down and go all over with the game...if I stumble across a cool gun or can buy one then great, otherwise it has been pretty vanilla to this point...

I would have liked to explore more but not that much time...I have been trying to beat this game for close to three years :) on and off...

At this point in the game no way in hell should you be using an AK. You should be using something that uses either NATO (5.56) or 9x39mm ammo as that is the ammunition that will be dropped by what you are fighting, allowing you to resupply.

You are at the endgame but you still have a fair ways to go past that and there is no way you will finish it with the ammo you have and you aren't going to get any 5.45 ammo at all for the rest of the game.

I finished complete 2009 and guns should drop fairly often. You can either buy a gun of the above calibers (Freedom will sell NATO guns and Duty should sell a Groza) or just kill Monolith in Pripyat or the Red forest and they will drop guns pretty quick.

When I did the Pripyat to endgame run I had a F2000 (managed to find one in a stash so I was lucky) and a Vintar for sniping. I took about 1,000 rounds for each gun with me but it could have been done with 1/3 of that as you can resupply.

For the particular place you are stuck the helicopters are a PITA; when I did it I just ignored them; using cover as much as possible and sniping with the Vintar (which is silenced and Complete 2009 makes at least a passing attempt at some sort of stealth). Once the zone in area is cleared with the Vintar go forward and hug the left wall which will minimize your exposure to choppers; you may have to kill a couple of soldiers but lots of times you can sprint by all of them and just ignore them (you'll get hit a few times but this shouldn't be a big deal just use med kits and keep moving). When I did it I killed as little as possible and just made a beeline for the power plant; where you can hide under the pipes and be reasonably safe from chopper fire and have a fair amount of cover for firefights. But be prepared to reload a few times (or more depending on what difficulty you have it set at).

Making a temp save whenever you get a lull helps too.

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
At this point in the game no way in hell should you be using an AK. You should be using something that uses either NATO (5.56) or 9x39mm ammo as that is the ammunition that will be dropped by what you are fighting, allowing you to resupply.

You are at the endgame but you still have a fair ways to go past that and there is no way you will finish it with the ammo you have and you aren't going to get any 5.45 ammo at all for the rest of the game.

I finished complete 2009 and guns should drop fairly often. You can either buy a gun of the above calibers (Freedom will sell NATO guns and Duty should sell a Groza) or just kill Monolith in Pripyat or the Red forest and they will drop guns pretty quick.

When I did the Pripyat to endgame run I had a F2000 (managed to find one in a stash so I was lucky) and a Vintar for sniping. I took about 1,000 rounds for each gun with me but it could have been done with 1/3 of that as you can resupply.

For the particular place you are stuck the helicopters are a PITA; when I did it I just ignored them; using cover as much as possible and sniping with the Vintar (which is silenced and Complete 2009 makes at least a passing attempt at some sort of stealth). Once the zone in area is cleared with the Vintar go forward and hug the left wall which will minimize your exposure to choppers; you may have to kill a couple of soldiers but lots of times you can sprint by all of them and just ignore them (you'll get hit a few times but this shouldn't be a big deal just use med kits and keep moving). When I did it I killed as little as possible and just made a beeline for the power plant; where you can hide under the pipes and be reasonably safe from chopper fire and have a fair amount of cover for firefights. But be prepared to reload a few times (or more depending on what difficulty you have it set at).

Making a temp save whenever you get a lull helps too.

Interesting...I guess I must have mucked up somewhere...

In the beginning I was exploring quite a lot, taking on on quests...and then it seemed I got away from that and started just going for the main objectives...

I shouldn't have made it sound like I only have an AK...but that is the gun that I have most ammo with...IDK the actual gun names in the game, I have the green looking M-16, a bullnose looking stocky gun, an a couple others one looks like an old german WWII gun and of course the high end sniper rifle with only a few rounds.

As for the other guns, IDK what to say...I usually bought out all the ammo I could for the higher end guns...

I will give your strategy a try...more stealth vs. pitching a tent and having it out with them!

Last edited:

rangda

Nov 20, 2006
Note my approach won't work if you're wearing exo armor, I used the SSP-99M with a fair amount of +weight artifacts so I was well under being overloaded so could sprint a fair ways.

With Complete 2009 ammo for any gun you want shouldn't be a big deal. You should be able to buy NATO rounds from the Barkeep & Freedom, and you should be able buy 9x39's from Duty (and maybe the Barkeep I forget). Also all of the random people in the bar, wild territory, & warehouses usually have ammo they will sell so you can buy from them too. And traders restock every time you load the game, so you can clean them out, save, reload, clean them out again, and repeat until you have as much ammo as you want.

Lots of this stuff could be found in stashes but if you sprinted through the MQ you might not have looted (or even triggered) many stashes. But most stuff was buyable so it doesn't really matter. The G36/F2000 are slightly better than the NATO guns you can buy but it's a small enough difference that since you already have the M16 clone it's not really worth bothering. When I got to the point where I was ready for Pripyat I had close to 4000 5.56 and 4000 5.45 rounds (1600-1900'ish of each type) (I don't recall how much 9x39 I had but it was a lot too). I didn't make any real attempt to farm ammo, but just doing all of the side quests (some of them multiple times) made me kill a lot of NPC's and I always looted all the ammo.

In vanilla/complete the 9x39 ammo has a lot more stopping power than anything else in the game, headshots with 9x39 AP rounds in the Vintar are pretty much 1 shot kills regardless of what armor the target is wearing. Makes clearing out the endgame easier.

What is important is that whatever guns you use you want scopes, at this point you should have multiple scopes for both NATO and Warsaw guns. You should at least have the Warsaw scope as you get that as part of the main quest in Dark Valley, and if you don't have a NATO scope you can get them killing mercs in the wild territory (the multi story partially constructed building with no walls is where they hang out) or warehouses (there is 4 of them in the NW corner of the zone, you get an optional quest to get a sniper rifle from them). They sometimes (but not always) have guns with scopes on them.

Also the NATO G36 & F2000 have scopes built in (F2000 also has a grenade launcher built in).

A silencer helps too as unlike vanilla shooting somebody with a silenced gun doesn't immediately put the entire map into a state of alert.

When I did my run in that part of Chernobyl, I think there were 5-6 NPC's to kill right in the zone in area, and two I had to kill when getting to the PP wall. When you move up along the fence going towards the PP 2/3 of the way or so there there is a little building, there is one army NPC there that is close enough you really have to kill him. And when you get to the end of the wall and you have to sprint across the open area to the PP there is a monolith vs. army battle there; usually by the time you get there everybody but 1 or 2 is dead. You might have to kill the survivors of that fight depending on how close they are to you.