S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Rabidwerewolf

Jun 15, 2007
I'm looking for a new FPS, and I was wondering from those of you who have played it is it worth my $40??? Is the story line any good and how is the multiplayer?

I've played F.E.A.R. and F.E.A.R. Extraction Point and Prey, and I enjoyed them very much although I have to say I enjoyed F.E.A.R. much more so.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Well there are already tonnes of threads on this game, but it appears the consensus is that it is pretty great. An FPS with RPG elements; a decent story, multiple endings, and a lot to keep you interested.

I have not heard good things about the multiplayer though.

This is just what I have gathered from reading the other threads here, I will not actually have the game for a few more days.

Cheers,
KT

Rabidwerewolf

Jun 15, 2007
I found a few using the search function here, but not that many. From what I've read, its pretty good, but I just wanted to hear it from the horses mouth, so to speak, from people who've actually bought or borrowed the game and played it.

Rabidwerewolf

Jun 15, 2007
Thanks Keith for the linkage. I guess I should have dug further even after my search didn't turn up as much or tried harder. Feeling lazy today lol.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Rabidwerewolf
Thanks Keith for the linkage. I guess I should have dug further even after my search didn't turn up as much or tried harder. Feeling lazy today lol.

No worries, it took me a while to find that second thread through search. I knew it existed though, so I just kept digging until I found it. :D

I think you should just get the game. I heard so many things about it, I just went ahead and bought it.

Take care,
KT

filibusterman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2005
I would say buy it as long as you have the hardware to play it in its full glory...I had enough for all but dynamic lighting and now I am playing it again with my new 8800gts.

filibusterman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2005
ps if you do get it install the current patch immidiately since save games dont transfer from 1.0 to 1.2 or 1.3 etc but those after 1.0 transfer to higher patches so far

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Well, since this is already on the first page, is STALKER anything like Deus Ex? If so, is it more like the first one or the second?

Phlargo

Jul 21, 2004
It's a great game - I highly recommend it - cool level design and a neat engine. I had loads of fun playing.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX
Well, since this is already on the first page, is STALKER anything like Deus Ex? If so, is it more like the first one or the second?

It's not too much like either. There are conversations but very few have any relevance to the storyline, you can customize your weapons in STALKER but not your character, and instead of taking multiple approaches to a single mission there is effectively just one giant mission with some non-linearish exploration allowed to do it. STALKER is still a FPS/RPG and a great one, but closer to Boling Point and Oblivion than it is to Deus Ex or System Shock 2.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Never tried the Multiplayer, but the Single Player is worth the $40. You could spend as many hours in this game as you want and replay it many times trying different things.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Stalker is an amazing game, maybe one of the best I have ever played, highly recommended :)

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
I think STALKER is one of those games that you either love or hate. It's a very different kind of FPS than games such as FEAR, Prey, etc... and is really more like an RPG. Personally, I didn't really like the game much and didn't get very far in it. It seems most other people liked the game, however, so I would give it a chance.

LightningRider

Feb 16, 2007
One of my favourite games. You should definitely pick it up, be warned though, there are some bugs and glitches, hopefully you won't run into too many of them. The next patch is supposed to be huge by the way, adding a new gameplay mode after you finish the main storyline and adding dual core optimizations and other bug fixes as well I believe.

Definitely get it. It's only 40$! Compared to some trash out there that is like 60$!

TwYsTeD

Nov 11, 2003
I just istalled the game, i get pretty crappy performance as soon as I go outside with dynamic lighting on. Is this normal? It's practically unplayable on my rig: FX-60, 4 GB pc3200, 8800gts 640 (latest drivers), x-fi- though I am running vista ultimate.

RedBeard

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: TwYsTeD
I just istalled the game, i get pretty crappy performance as soon as I go outside with dynamic lighting on. Is this normal? It's practically unplayable on my rig: FX-60, 4 GB pc3200, 8800gts 640 (latest drivers), x-fi- though I am running vista ultimate.

What resolution are you playing at?

With my E6600 w/ X1950xtx I can play 1280x1024 max detail w/ dynamic lighting on.
Now that I just got a 22" WS LCD, I want to play at 1680x1050. I bumped the lighting down to the middle option (object or something) and tweaked the gfx settings a bit.

Also get the FLOAT 32 mod.

Keep in mind this game is pretty demanding.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005

Welcome to my world =/

WinXP Pro
X2 4400+
eVGA 8800GTX
2 GB

Many areas drop to 20fps and lower, while other areas 60fps+. Max settings @ 1680x1050

Trying to figure out why. Have Float32 installed, no help there. Likely it's my CPU. I'm guessing an E6600 would give me 10-15+ more fps making those 20fps areas more playable.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000

Lighting absolutely kills the performance, adjust accordingly and try again.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I didn't like the game at first. The first area can be a little frustrating because you're going up against npc's with better armor and weapons. But once you get past the first area, you start finding better weapons, artifacts, etc. (Once you find the endurance artifacts - it makes travelling [running] a lot less painful - you can pretty much run forever pending you're not overloaded.)

It's definitely worth $40.00.