S. Hawking believes that humanity has less than a thousand years on Earth before a mass extinction

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Haven't humans already gone through a few almost extinction events already in history and we are still here? Isn't only prevailing theory that the last super volcano eruptions nearly killed us all, but a very small group of people that managed to survive from which we are all now descended from. Thus why there is very little genetic drift in human DNA compared to any other species out there. Thought I remember seeing this once a long time ago on Nova when they were discussing super volcanoes and such.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
I wonder if we would allow a different species to enslave us.

Would we go out fighting and try to nuke everything?

Or would we submit to being locked up as cattle or pets?

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Haven't humans already gone through a few almost extinction events already in history and we are still here? Isn't only prevailing theory that the last super volcano eruptions nearly killed us all, but a very small group of people that managed to survive from which we are all now descended from. Thus why there is very little genetic drift in human DNA compared to any other species out there. Thought I remember seeing this once a long time ago on Nova when they were discussing super volcanoes and such.

Huh. I always thought there was very little genetic drift because we have only been here for 6,000 years or so.

/s

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
“We must also continue to go into space for the future of humanity,” he said. “I don’t think we will survive another 1000 without escaping beyond our fragile planet.”

Yeah, sounds like he is really committed to that statement. :rolleyes:

So his idea is that we develop the advanced technology required for interstellar travel but at the same time advanced technology won't be able to solve the problems we have on earth to allow us to continue living here? Maybe he explains that logic during his talk but I don't see how.

-KeithP

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
It's time for other species to take over...........Dolphins........I'm looking at you!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It's time for other species to take over...........Dolphins........I'm looking at you!
Good luck with that, I have it on good authority they'll just make their own alternate plans to escape the planet when the time comes, but they'll have the courtesy to try and warn us first.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
Your right...is where everyone on stage will go when they exit stage left if you're in the audience and facing the stage.

Until iPhones and windows learn to autocorrect grammar your gonna have to deal with it. I suck at English

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
occurs.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/stephen-hawking-puts-expiry-date-103124525.html

What do you think what will cause the end of humanity? Nuclear war? Famine? Running out of water/food? Asteroid? Aliens from outer space? Robots?

I think lack of clean water and massive number of mouths to feed plus less and less resources left on Earth = disaster for humans. Oh and the abuses of medicines/antibiotics would not help.

We're not going to run out of water and food. Overpopulation is not a problem and is not going to be a problem. Without some major catastrophe that drastically alters the climate of the Earth a Soylent Green situation is just a fantasy, we can't outstrip the carrying capacity of the planet.

Nuclear war is possible, but even that is unlikely to cause extinction. If we're all going to go it's going to be something from beyond, a gamma ray burst, huge asteroid or comet impact, wandering neutron star tugs us out of orbit or something similar.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

Yes, Toba. Very possible that human population went from in the millions to maybe a few thousand. If that was just a little worse it could have extincted us. That's unlikely to happen now though, even if Toba or Yellowstone do their worst they're not going to wipe us out. Too many people spread out too far. Billions might starve in the nuclear winter that would follow a supervolcano, but billions more would make it through. When Yellowstone blows up again the USA and Canada are toast though.

Sep 29, 2004
Wow, that guy is optimisitc. He's an order of magnitude off. I'd be amazed if more than half the kids being born today are alive in 50 years.

Sep 29, 2004
We're not going to run out of water and food. Overpopulation is not a problem and is not going to be a problem. Without some major catastrophe that drastically alters the climate of the Earth a Soylent Green situation is just a fantasy, we can't outstrip the carrying capacity of the planet.

Nuclear war is possible, but even that is unlikely to cause extinction. If we're all going to go it's going to be something from beyond, a gamma ray burst, huge asteroid or comet impact, wandering neutron star tugs us out of orbit or something similar.

We've used over half of the known iron deposits on the planet. If we didn't recycle, there would be no iron left. Water shortages are expected within 15 years. Go look at the lake behind hoover damn some time. Melting snow on ice caps fill rivers and streams in the summer. What happens when there are no ice caps?

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
http://time.com/3035872/sixth-great-extinction/

The Earth has been stripped of up to 90% of its species five times before in the past 450 million years. Now it's happening again—and this time there's no rogue asteroid responsible.
One of the first great rules of terrestrial biology is that no species is forever.
The Earth has gone through five major extinction events before—from the Ordovician-Silurian, about 350 million years ago, to the Cretaceous-Paleogene, 65 million years back. The likely causes included volcanism, gamma ray bursts, and, in the case of the Cretaceous-Paleogene wipeout, an asteroid strike—the one that killed the dinosaurs. But the result of all of the extinctions was the same: death, a lot of it, for 70% to 90% of all species, depending on the event.

As increasingly accepted theories have argued—and as the Science papers show—we are now in the midst of the sixth great extinction, the unsettlingly-named Anthropocene, or the age of the humans.

The numbers are sobering: Over all, there has been a human-driven decline in the populations of all species by 25% over the past 500 years, but not all groups have suffered equally. Up to a third of all species of vertebrates are now considered threatened, as are 45% of most species of invertebrates. Among the vertebrates, amphibians are getting clobbered, with 41% of species in trouble, compared to just 17% of birds—at least so far. The various orders of insects suffer differently too: 35% of Lepidopteran species are in decline (goodbye butterflies), which sounds bad enough, but it’s nothing compared to the similar struggles of nearly 100% of Orthoptera species (crickets, grasshoppers and katydids, look your last).

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
We've used over half of the known iron deposits on the planet. If we didn't recycle, there would be no iron left. Water shortages are expected within 15 years. Go look at the lake behind hoover damn some time. Melting snow on ice caps fill rivers and streams in the summer. What happens when there are no ice caps?

Water on Earth is a closed system, we can't freaking run out. It sometimes redistributes from areas of drought to areas having higher than average precipitation. So if some streams and rivers and reservoirs are getting down in some areas then other areas are getting flooded. The water temporarily goes somewhere else, it doesn't disappear.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Water on Earth is a closed system, we can't freaking run out. It sometimes redistributes from areas of drought to areas having higher than average precipitation. So if some streams and rivers and reservoirs are getting down in some areas then other areas are getting flooded. The water temporarily goes somewhere else, it doesn't disappear.

Water can be converted to it's base components, Hydrogen and Oxygen. It can also be made from those components as well. The problem though is Hydrogen. It's light enough to escape Earth's atmosphere and never return. So technically would could run out of water if enough water molecules over time were separated into base atoms. All it takes is a little electric jolt to do it too. It will be a very long time before that happens. Far more than a thousand years from now.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Water can be converted to it's base components, Hydrogen and Oxygen. It can also be made from those components as well. The problem though is Hydrogen. It's light enough to escape Earth's atmosphere and never return. So technically would could run out of water if enough water molecules over time were separated into base atoms. All it takes is a little electric jolt to do it too. It will be a very long time before that happens. Far more than a thousand years from now.

so all we have to do is send a shuttle to vacuum it back up and bring it back. Ever heard of mega maid? hello...?

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
so all we have to do is send a shuttle to vacuum it back up and bring it back. Ever heard of mega maid? hello...?

LOL, chances are though that the sun will morph into a red dwarf and then super nova before all the water dries up on our planet through molecular separation.

More likely to get fried by a large solar flare plume, smashed by a large meteor, or have a another celestial system smash into ours before either of happen to wipe all living life off this planet completely.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
mass extinction is not the correct therm; and the devil is in the details.
if anything, there *might* be a population collapse. i don't know the exact number, but we need something in the region of a couple million people to continue existing not only as a species, but as a culture. extinction through our own means will NOT happen, there are parallels in the animal world, and if there is a crisis it might actually be beneficial.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
mass extinction is not the correct therm; and the devil is in the details.
if anything, there *might* be a population collapse. i don't know the exact number, but we need something in the region of a couple million people to continue existing not only as a species, but as a culture. extinction through our own means will NOT happen, there are parallels in the animal world, and if there is a crisis it might actually be beneficial.
A mass extinction is a massive number of extinctions. That kind of an event risks our own extinction, though as you say it probably wouldn't come to that. It might still cause a bunch of people to become unhappy or dead though.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I wonder how tall of a wall you'd have to build around a country to keep all the pollution out, if a country wanted to commit to 100% zero emissions and protect themselves from the pollution of others they could try to create an isolated community of sorts. While everyone outside is killing each other.

A dome would work better but a wall would be much easier to build, and might be enough if you build it tall enough. Make the polluters pay for it.