S.C., simple state fossil bill adds religion to the bill

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
So if you are not christian you are anti american?

Not so much anti-American, more like not being a true red-white-and-blue REAL American with conservative Christian values and a desire to bring back them good 'ol days. Because if you're (generically speaking) not that, then you're not a true patriot and you should then be gerrymandered into hell. ;)

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Laws that serve no purpose should not be laws. Even if they're completely innocuous, they're unnecessary clutter. The religious buffoon should be mocked until the day he dies, but I'd be happy if all these pointless laws were stricken too.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
big deal. Typical theophobes afraid of something they dont even think exists. The founding fathers themselves mention the Creator in the Declaration of Independence, this is no different and not a big deal. State fossil? Who cares. If the bill doesnt go through because he put that in there, fine, they are all elected by the people of that state. If they allow it, thats fine too for the same reason. It doesnt involve the congress of the united states which is what the 1st amendment restricts from making laws regarding an establisment of religion or the free exercise thereof. The liberty bell itself has a frigging bible verse on it. You people love to revise history to suit your own anti american dogma.

You could have just written that you are too stupid to understand what people are talking about and saved time for people on this forum.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
States propose "state anything" because they can't get any other bill accomplished and are just trying to rack up total bills passed to look important. It's silly. The only thing more silly than a state fossil is trying to add an amendment to a bill that creates a state fossil.

I remember this being an issue during one of the Presidential campaigns. I can't remember who, and it's kinda besides the point, but the nominee had something crazy like 56 bills under his name or co-sponsored and only 1 or 2 were of substance. The rest were naming parks and stupid shit like that.

Feb 6, 2007
A state fossil proposed by a little girl is no place for political grandstanding. That should be a simple up or down vote and take approximately 3 minutes to get sorted. And I don't have a problem with "state fossils" or "state birds" or "state Pokemon" or whatever; my family had a state tree poster in our beach house when I was growing up and it prompted me to research trees that I would have never otherwise had an interest in (fun fact: the most common state tree is the sugar maple). Seems like this would have been an ideal time to think of the children...

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I think it's a total waste of our damn time and money to have 43 states with a state fossil. Jeebus don't they have something better to do!?!?!
I tend to agree, but anytime a legislature can pass a bill that deprives no one of life, liberty or property I consider that a win. Plus, Nikki Haley is smokin' hot.

I propose a compromise: The law will mention G_d and Creation, but the state fossil shall be the Baby Raptor Jesus. Stinkin' mammoths can't run across water, now can they?

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I have no problem with the bill nor the concept of the official state $WHATEVER, but the state senator that proposed the amendment is a fucking idiot.