S.C., simple state fossil bill adds religion to the bill

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
I think it's a total waste of our damn time and money to have 43 states with a state fossil. Jeebus don't they have something better to do!?!?!

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
States propose "state anything" because they can't get any other bill accomplished and are just trying to rack up total bills passed to look important. It's silly. The only thing more silly than a state fossil is trying to add an amendment to a bill that creates a state fossil.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Our government doesn't want you to learn about the world around you, because it may disprove or clash with the bible.

Saaaaaay, isn't that something a BIG GOVERNMENT would do???

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Our government doesn't want you to learn about the world around you, because it may disprove or clash with the bible.

Saaaaaay, isn't that something a BIG GOVERNMENT would do???

herp derp , yeah, not having a state fossil is going to prevent people from "learning about the world around them". Herp derp.

The bill is a waste of time, the attachment to the bill is even dumber.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
herp derp , yeah, not having a state fossil is going to prevent people from "learning about the world around them". Herp derp.

The bill is a waste of time, the attachment to the bill is even dumber.

No problems with forcing the bible on people I see,...

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
No problems with forcing the bible on people I see,...

Sigh. Apparently you are another product of a failed education system. Nowhere did I state anything of the kind. In fact I've already stated that the bill itself is a waste of time and the amendment is even dumber. What does such a bill actually achieve, and what does the amendment achieve? In fact the answer to both is "nothing". Nothing is really achieved by either, although the bill itself doesn't hurt anything. Adding language to single out who (or what) created the fossil is completely stupid. That said, I'd love to hear how adding that language "forces the bible on people", especially considering that the language does not reference the bible. What impact exactly would adding that language have on you (or a resident of SC) specifically?

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I think it's a total waste of our damn time and money to have 43 states with a state fossil. Jeebus don't they have something better to do!?!?!
It was proposed by an 8yo girl who loves science. What should she be doing instead? Collecting guns & ammo for the coming revolution?

The Senator is a jackass. Maybe we should refer to every animal from now on as created by God on the 6th day. I'm having chicken which was created by God on the 6th day piccata for dinner tonight.

LetsGetReal

Apr 8, 2014
big deal. Typical theophobes afraid of something they dont even think exists. The founding fathers themselves mention the Creator in the Declaration of Independence, this is no different and not a big deal. State fossil? Who cares. If the bill doesnt go through because he put that in there, fine, they are all elected by the people of that state. If they allow it, thats fine too for the same reason. It doesnt involve the congress of the united states which is what the 1st amendment restricts from making laws regarding an establisment of religion or the free exercise thereof. The liberty bell itself has a frigging bible verse on it. You people love to revise history to suit your own anti american dogma.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2012
Bill needs to be stopped. Again we see the failure of big government. The only good thing about this is it angers the leftist OP and his ilk.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
That said, I'd love to hear how adding that language "forces the bible on people", especially considering that the language does not reference the bible.

Herp-a-derp-a-sarus Rex.

Bryant’s amendment sought to insert a passage from the book of Genesis into the bill, which says God created the beasts of the field on the sixth day of Creation.

“And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good,” the passage reads in part.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Bill needs to be stopped. Again we see the failure of big government. The only good thing about this is it angers the leftist OP and his ilk.
Why does the bill need to be stopped? Does naming a state fossil somehow violate the Constitution?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Herp-a-derp-a-sarus Rex.

I know reading is difficult for someone of limited capacity such as yourself, but try reading the article further. That original text was scrapped and a new version inserted that does not reference the bible. It's still stupid, but it is kind of funny how folks like you get your panties in a bunch over it ;)

Apr 27, 2012
Why does the bill need to be stopped? Does naming a state fossil somehow violate the Constitution?

The bill isn't necessary and is just politicians wasting time. Shouldn't they have more important things to deal with. Also there is a potential violation for separation of Church and state.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The bill isn't necessary and is just politicians wasting time. Shouldn't they have more important things to deal with. Also there is a potential violation for separation of Church and state.
I agree the ammendment has to go but I don't think the bill is preventing the state government from accomplishing other things.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

It is a logical fallacy to believe time is somehow valuable to a deadlocked people who vote on a partisan basis.

Look at the US Congress and Senate for example. Until one party gains control of both sides, nothing is really going to change. They have all the free time in the world to do nothing.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
I know reading is difficult for someone of limited capacity such as yourself, but try reading the article further. That original text was scrapped and a new version inserted that does not reference the bible. It's still stupid, but it is kind of funny how folks like you get your panties in a bunch over it ;)

It's still some good old boy pushing his religion on people.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I guess this will be an important learning opportunity for the girl.

Lesson One: You can't always get what you want.
Lesson Two: There are some really stupid people in the world, many of them in elected office.

Apr 27, 2012
I agree the ammendment has to go but I don't think the bill is preventing the state government from accomplishing other things.

It's wasting time and resources dealing with this though. It's just another way to pander to the religious right when they should be concentrating their time on more important things.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It's wasting time and resources dealing with this though. It's just another way to pander to the religious right when they should be concentrating their time on more important things.
So you have a problem with the ammendment, not the bill.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
big deal. Typical theophobes afraid of something they dont even think exists. The founding fathers themselves mention the Creator in the Declaration of Independence, this is no different and not a big deal. State fossil? Who cares. If the bill doesnt go through because he put that in there, fine, they are all elected by the people of that state. If they allow it, thats fine too for the same reason. It doesnt involve the congress of the united states which is what the 1st amendment restricts from making laws regarding an establisment of religion or the free exercise thereof. The liberty bell itself has a frigging bible verse on it. You people love to revise history to suit your own anti american dogma.

So if you are not christian you are anti american?