S.C. poised to elect black GOP Congressman

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Were - You don't think something is strange about a philosophically individualist party going after groups?
Mo' debinitely. But while it's good to walk the straight and narrow, you can't do that if you start in a hole. :D

The GOP doesn't need to target blacks as a group; that would be a problem. Instead it needs to find like-minded individuals who make could attractive candidates and whose physical characteristics happen to fall within the grouping we classify as black. In almost any district there are a number of qualified and electable candidates with views within the mainstream of conservative beliefs. Some of those will be black. But it's hard for those potential candidates to see the GOP as a possible venue. It's also hard for conservative blacks to believe they can be elected. This is what the GOP needs to fix. Put it this way: I know no members of the New Black Panther Party. I therefore do not necessarily know that they are racist. But as they are a monochromatic party, I presume that they are racist. The GOP has the same perception problem with blacks. It's not enough for them to SAY they aren't racist, they need to actively work at proving it. True, it's quite ironic that in order to prove oneself colorblind one must sometimes be color-sensitive.

The few GOP outreach programs have started with the question "What do black people want and how can we promise it to them?" The problem is with this question, you'll never get the right answer. Black people more or less want what non-black people want - opportunity, prosperity, a better life for their children. The problem isn't message or principles; one cannot compromise principles. The problem is the perception of inclusion. The Democrats actively worked to get most blacks away from the party of Lincoln; the Republicans must actively work to get them back.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Because we're talking about racist, backwater, kkk loving S.C.

You sir are an idiot and have no idea what you are talking about.

Racist are everywhere.

The KKK is not ingrained into SC. Do you even know the history of the KKK? Obvious answer is no.

Everyone assumes SC is a racist KKK state and it just isn't true. Or at least no more so than anywhere else in the USA.

NAACP is more racist and vocal than the KKK.

Where do you live highland?

In my experience the Northern US is more biased than the Southern Region. I have lived from New London to Honolulu and Washington State to Florida.

Jul 10, 2007
Sarcasm.

Crossfyer said "Well now, are you sure those adjectives are even remotely true? They sure don't represent the majority, or even majority of republicans"
in response to my "Because we're talking about racist, backwater, kkk loving S.C." post

IMO, It made the news because that's the perception others have about S.C. and the south in general. Bunch of backwards rednecks. At times, I agree but mostly not.

i don't think that means what you think it does.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'm not sure why skin color has anything to do with anything.

If the guy is qualified and has good ideas about the way things should be done, why is his skin color even entered into the equation?

Why are you even asking? It goes without saying.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Guys, that this made the news has nothing to do with South Carolina. It's the whole fucking national GOP who hasn't had a black representative since J.C. Watts left. In all fifty states. Not one. South Carolina is the state that is apparently poised to send a black Republican to Congress. Whichever enlightened state you live in it has NOT done what South Carolina is apparently about to do.

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
You sir are an idiot and have no idea what you are talking about.

Racist are everywhere.

The KKK is not ingrained into SC. Do you even know the history of the KKK? Obvious answer is no.

Everyone assumes SC is a racist KKK state and it just isn't true. Or at least no more so than anywhere else in the USA.

NAACP is more racist and vocal than the KKK.

Where do you live highland?

In my experience the Northern US is more biased than the Southern Region. I have lived from New London to Honolulu and Washington State to Florida.
Read on.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Sarcasm.

Crossfyer said "Well now, are you sure those adjectives are even remotely true? They sure don't represent the majority, or even majority of republicans"
in response to my "Because we're talking about racist, backwater, kkk loving S.C." post

IMO, It made the news because that's the perception others have about S.C. and the south in general. Bunch of backwards rednecks. At times, I agree but mostly not.

Sorry I should have read all the post before I posted...

Tim Scott has been active in politics for 15 years and it just pisses me off when people that have never even been in the South start their attitude about the southern US and they don't have a clue. I'm in the Charleston area of SC.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Sorry I should have read all the post before I posted...

Tim Scott has been active in politics for 15 years and it just pisses me off when people that have never even been in the South start their attitude about the southern US and they don't have a clue. I'm in the Charleston area of SC.
The candidates could be Martians as long as they do the best job. You have to admit that, when videoed for the news, we aren't portrayed well. There was a self described "mountain man" last week that saw big foot in N.C. Real winner.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
...The few GOP outreach programs have started with the question "What do black people want and how can we promise it to them?" The problem is with this question, you'll never get the right answer...
The Republican problem dates from the '70s and '80s and the Earl Butz answer to your question.
The GOP may have grown away from its "Southern Strategy" past and President Reagan's pandering to racists, but the perception of the party remains.

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
The Republican problem dates from the '70s and '80s and the Earl Butts answer to your question.
The GOP may have grown away from its "Southern Strategy" past and President Reagan's pandering to racists, but the perception of the party remains.
Sounds like.
Butz said that "the only thing the coloreds are looking for in life are tight p - - - - , loose shoes and a warm place to s - - -."
Oh, my. I was 12 and don't remember it.

Had a customer(black high school teacher) that said she wouldn't vote for McCain because of what he said about women. Her info was 3rd hand of someone elses 3rd hand. While she was still here, we searched for it, with no luck, because it never happened. As she walking out of the door, she says," I can't vote for him because of what he said about women." Huh?

A lot of people are going to do the same thing irregardless of the facts. And yes, the repubs could do a lot more in this area.