Ryzen will support Windows 7

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
W10 is malware.

Malware that helps people be productive? Interesting concept.

I now get bombarded with actual MS popups asking me to setup MS one drive.

Simple to stop. Would you like to know how?

7 also supports more SW/HW configurations than 10 does.

What basis do you have for this assertion?

I can no longer use of my USB adapters, which works fine on 7, with 10. You're hobbling yourself by going to 10, not sticking with 7.

Is this the sole basis of your claim? That one manufacturer may not have produced Win10 drivers for one piece of hardware?

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
Onedrive can be uninstalled without consequences... There are cmd scripts on the web to do it. I did it on three my PC with W10 and had no problems...

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Well it will likely boot Win7 but there is no guarantee it will work without issues or that all CPU features Ryzen offers will be supported.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Onedrive can be uninstalled without consequences... There are cmd scripts on the web to do it. I did it on three my PC with W10 and had no problems...

I just go with right-clicking on it, telling it not to start with Windows, then when the next notification comes along I right-click on that and turn off all notifications from OneDrive.

Of course I don't use a Microsoft account, but if one does then there's one more step, again in OneDrive options to configure it to save in the computer's docs/pics folders by default, and possibly to unlink the account from OneDrive. On computers I've configured, I don't think I've heard a peep out of it since.

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
I just go with right-clicking on it, telling it not to start with Windows, then when the next notification comes along I right-click on that and turn off all notifications from OneDrive.

Of course I don't use a Microsoft account, but if one does then there's one more step, again in OneDrive options to configure it to save in the computer's docs/pics folders by default, and possibly to unlink the account from OneDrive. On computers I've configured, I don't think I've heard a peep out of it since.

But the onedrive folder in the sidebar remains and if I remember well the default location for file saving is not Documents, but Onedrive... And also the service is running, wasting resources. So i preferred to uninstall it...

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
But the onedrive folder in the sidebar remains and if I remember well the default location for file saving is not Documents, but Onedrive... And also the service is running, wasting resources. So i preferred to uninstall it...

He was talking about getting bombarded with it. I suggested a means of stopping that. You're talking about eradicating it. The two aren't the same. On my own system I probably would eradicate it too, but if someone takes the time to complain about it on a forum in a non-constructive way then they're probably not going to take the time to investigate eradicating it completely, opting instead for the easier/quicker option (as well as being easy to reverse).

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
Why go to the effort of "validating" it to "boot" on windows 7 if some weird issue could cripple it entirely? Validation sounds more involved than just making sure it boots.

Sure some of the advanced features might not work, but crashes? I seriously doubt it... Doesn't sound anything like "validation" to me.

"Our rocket has been validated to launch, it may explode and you may die during launch but it's validated to launch."

vs

"Our rocket has been validated to launch and deliver you to your intended orbit, you may experience turbulence during this ascent, but you are guaranteed to make orbit in one piece."

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
W10 is malware. I now get bombarded with actual MS popups asking me to setup MS one drive. 7 also supports more SW/HW configurations than 10 does. I can no longer use of my USB adapters, which works fine on 7, with 10. You're hobbling yourself by going to 10, not sticking with 7.
<sarcasm>
Nah, that's not true! (or Google / Apple are watching you fap anyways, why not Microsoft)
Also, get with the times gramps! The kewl kids are using Win10!
Also, DX12 is the new hotness and no cool titles will be released for < DX12.
etc.
</sarcasm>

JDG1980

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2013
Why go to the effort of "validating" it to "boot" on windows 7 if some weird issue could cripple it entirely? Validation sounds more involved than just making sure it boots.

Sounds like Win7 support was part of AMD's original plan, but Microsoft twisted their arm to convince them to cut it. A shame.