Ryzen... Ryzen makes me Happy. I think. ?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
So far (it's been, maybe a week?), I'm pretty happy with my current "new" Ryzen 5 1600 rig.

I mean, it was a PITA to attempt to OC on the stock Wraith Spire heatsink.

I still think that I wasn't doing something right, or my case airflow just sucks overall (being in a desk cubby, although the front is free and not covered). I was hitting 86C Package Temp., running at 3700 and 1.2875V, after a while, with a 10-thread BOINC / PrimeGrid load.

I couldn't hit 3800 (Mhz) reliably on the air cooler, seemingly no matter whether I pumped, or lowered, the voltage.

So, I went looking at AIO CLC water/liquid coolers.

Found a CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 120mm Rad cooler kit for $39.99 FS on Newegg.

After installing that, my temps were a lot better, and I was able to OC to 3800 (Mhz) on 1.3250V stable.

Package Temp., gets to 71C max, after a few hours.

I did have to turn the fan on my Rad to "full speed". My top exhaust 120mm fan and my front intake 120mm fan are both connected directly to a PSU molex connector.

Otherwise, I had a black-screen at 3800 (Mhz), and temps were creeping up over 75C when I left, and unknown how high they got before the crash.

So, overall, I may not have the best clocker, nor do I have the best cooler (was recommended to stick with nothing smaller than a 240mm Rad AIO CLC kit), but I'm pretty happy.

It grinds out the BOINC points pretty well.

But, I can't help getting a slight sense of Deja Vu here.

About 8 years ago, or so, I was debating between an Intel 2500K rig, and an AMD Thuban rig. I wanted what I percieved to be better platform features on my super-deluxe 990FX mobo. (SATA6G and IDE and floppy! And SLI!)

I was pretty happy with that rig too, for the most part, but eventually I stopped running it, mostly over power / temp concerns.

Ryzen is pretty power-efficient, especially non-overclocked. So I don't really feel the same way about that. Yet, at least.

I have to say, though, I think that I would have preferred the 2500K for some things. Especially if my primary usage was Gaming. (It's not, DC is equally / more important to me.)

So, that same line of thinking is why I purchased Ryzen, plus, it's SO CHEAP! 6C/12T UNLOCKED, for the same price as a locked mid-range Intel i5 CPU. Plus, they offer an "affordable" overclocking chipset, the B350. I picked up an ASRock AB350M Pro4 for $80 or so.

But I can't help wondering, if CFL or SKL-X is worth getting.

Reactions: Drazick and Jen

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
6 core Sky-X will cost about double what the R7 was. Depends on if you want the extra performance or not. It should be a good bit faster than a 3800mhz Ryzen though. But the price you will pay will be even higher because you will lose money if you sell the Ryzen parts. If you don't care about losing the money then its all good I guess. Of course you are aware of the TIM on skylakeX. You could run into temp issues on an OC'd SkyX with sustained workloads like boinc unless you have enough cooling capacity. That TIM is a real bummer unless you don't mind direct die cooling.
I'll come right out and say it. If I had a Ryzen that was stuck at 3800mhz, I'd definitely sell it and get a SkylakeX. I'm a gamer though and care about that kind of performance. If I wasn't a gamer, I wouldn't care. Not a bit. I'd probably just keep the Ryzen.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
The amount you would pay for CFL/SKL-X wouldn't justify the returns.
Ryzen 5 was the gaming chip I think the masses should get.
Intel only have i7 and above from CFL/SKL-X to offer.

Ryzen's whole lineup actually is interesting. I couldn't recommend something below an i7 from intel.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
The amount you would pay for CFL/SKL-X wouldn't justify the returns.
Ryzen 5 was the gaming chip I think the masses should get.
Intel only have i7 and above from CFL/SKL-X to offer.

Ryzen's whole lineup actually is interesting. I couldn't recommend something below an i7 from intel.
Yeah I agree the Ryzen 5 1600 seems to be the best overall CPU right now. If I was building a rig for myself the 1600 and the 1700 will be the CPUs I would be looking at the moment.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
well, back in 2011 I would not recommend a PII X6 over a 2500K, PII was released in Q1 2009 and was not 100% convincing even against 65nm Core 2.
right now I don't feel the same way about Ryzen;
I think the 1600 is a solid choice for the money,

anyway, 2500K OC is still a good CPU, PII not really.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Sandy Bridge was like 50% faster than Conroe and clocked like 25% higher. PII traded blows with Conroe. Anyone getting a PII X6 at the time was either getting an upgrade for current board or were stupidly loyal to AMD.

Someone getting a 1600x or 1700 over a 7600 or 7700 is like getting a Phenom II X6 over a Core 2 Quad. Close and sometimes even able to trade blows in a couple games. But really shines on everything else.

coffeemonster

Apr 18, 2015
So far (it's been, maybe a week?)

I mean, it was a PITA to attempt to OC on the stock Wraith Spire heatsink.
I couldn't hit 3800 (Mhz) reliably on the air cooler, seemingly no matter whether I pumped, or lowered, the voltage.
I've been reading ~3.7 is typical max OC for that cooler anyway. I mean when you look at it is't a pretty small block of aluminum with a copper core.
Pretty impressive though, that you can get near max clocks on ryzen with it's packaged 65w cooler.

Last edited:

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
I have become unhappy with ryzen , just after seeing the threadripper Motherboard ! :D
I'm glad I waited, although it helped that they had so many BIOS issues which kept me from upgrading my 6700k. Now 6700k to thread-ripper is going to be a nice upgrade :D

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I'm glad I waited, although it helped that they had so many BIOS issues which kept me from upgrading my 6700k. Now 6700k to thread-ripper is going to be a nice upgrade :D
I waited as well. I'm not the 'Early Adopter' guy anymore. I had planned on a Ryzen 8 core build for July. But with TR coming in August, that may be worth waiting another month.

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
Wish I had the money for this stuff. I'd love to build a cute little R7-1700 rig once mITX boards start coming out, and pair it with 32GB of memory and a small, zippy NVMe SSD. Ryzen and Gentoo Linux were made for each other.

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
Larry, your temps are way, way high compared to my experience with the r5 1600. I've never once seen a package temp higher than 61 during stress testing. This is at 3.8. When I try 3.9 then test only lasts aboutn2 seconds before it crashes. The problem isn't temps though. Probably needs more voltage but I'm keeping it to 1.35.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Larry, your temps are way, way high compared to my experience with the r5 1600. I've never once seen a package temp higher than 61 during stress testing. This is at 3.8. When I try 3.9 then test only lasts aboutn2 seconds before it crashes. The problem isn't temps though. Probably needs more voltage but I'm keeping it to 1.35.
Yes, your temps are pretty out of line with what others are getting. It may be something to address. Case? Location? Something worth looking into at any rate.

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
How much of a performance gain I would get with new Ryzen APUs coming out? My understanding is AMD is required to lower the clock speeds to make sure there's enough GPU power within max TDP watt. I fear they won't be too much faster vs. Trinity APUs I've been finding good deals lately.

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
Meanwhile some of us still have the 2500K and have no intention of upgrading :p
A10-5800K FM2 is the same thing here. I found out on Newegg it has 648 reviews, surprisingly, making this the best-selling "K" APU from AMD, despite this model is hard to find on eBay and not many for sale. A lot of them are still in people's home with no plans to upgrade to Kaveri, it turns out.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Woah... Larry has a faster rig than I do.

*cries into beer and buys more power tools*

Maybe not for gaming, though. Yours is at 4Ghz, I couldn't quite get my Ryzen that high.

But for DC, it seems decent.

Currently running at 3.70Ghz at 1.2500V. Package Temp under 120mm MasterLiquid Lite AIO CLC is up to 70C since last reboot. Package Power is max 89W or so.

Reactions: Drazick

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Ah. Good to see Larry slip down that slippery slope as I predicted.

Alas, had he went with the 2500k, he'd probably would still be using it and expedited his conversion to powerful cores 5 years sooner.