Question Ryzen Power plan behavior

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I've been using the Ryzen balanced power plan (latest drivers) for a while and now I'm starting to question how this thing handles cool and quiet.
3900X at idle NEVER dips below 3.7 ghz. Just floats between 3.7 and 4.4-4.8 all day long.

Under Windows Balanced plan it drops down 2ghz and then bounces all over the place with voltages just like Ryzen power plan and higher temp spikes.
The only power plan that doesn't act like its on drugs is the windows power saver plan. That seems to be the only power plan where the system idles normally.

I know there was that guy who released a modified power plan but I've already seen updates where folks figured out its useless bs.

Bios was updated
Set Cool-n-Quiet to Enabled
Set Core CPPC to Enabled
Set CPPC Preferred Cores to Enabled
Set Global C-States to Enabled

No overclocks and PBO is disabled.

Whats is everyone else experiences with power plans?

Edit: Just checked the plan settings and the cpu state default minimum is set to 99%?

Last edited:

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
What are you using to monitor your frequency? If you are truly at idle then the cores should be entering sleep modes and going below base clock. Some tools will actually interrupt sleep to poll the CPU and others just don't capture the sleep frequency and will just tell you the last measurement they got while the CPU wasn't asleep making it seem like the frequency never falls below base clocks.

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
I thought Cool n Quiet was non-functioning on ANY of the Zen parts. It was only for Athlon parts.

And if I'm not mistaken, CPPC's requirement was to have a high minimum state since it ramps clock speeds more effectively when requested. If you are seeing a high load, then something is causing it to poll all the time and keeping cores from sleeping/idling. Corsair iCUE is one such program known to do this.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
What are you using to monitor your frequency? If you are truly at idle then the cores should be entering sleep modes and going below base clock. Some tools will actually interrupt sleep to poll the CPU and others just don't capture the sleep frequency and will just tell you the last measurement they got while the CPU wasn't asleep making it seem like the frequency never falls below base clocks.

Gigabytes SIV
It's on an Auros Elite

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
What clockspeeds do you see with Ryzen Master? Also, what's your idle package power in HWiNFO64?
I have both Ryzen Master and Gigabyte's SIV hardware monitor open
Ryzen Master
temp 35
"Peak speed" dipping down to 400's

SIV
Reporting 43 degrees
CPU @ 3700mhz

Hwinfo64 idle package power reported 35w

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Hwinfo64 idle package power reported 35w

could be the monitoring programs being open together (running three of them at once may not get you clean data, especially not on Matisse) may be goosing up your idle power consumption, but 35w is a little high even with tuned RAM. Assuming you have tuned RAM, which you may not. My 3900x @ stock is idling at around 28w, and that's with crazy overclocked RAM. What's your idle "SoC Power"?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
could be the monitoring programs being open together (running three of them at once may not get you clean data, especially not on Matisse) may be goosing up your idle power consumption, but 35w is a little high even with tuned RAM. Assuming you have tuned RAM, which you may not. My 3900x @ stock is idling at around 28w, and that's with crazy overclocked RAM. What's your idle "SoC Power"?

Everything was tested individually as well and number were consistently "different"
Soc power is 17w at idle.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
My SoC Power (alone, not Core + SoC Power) is only ~14W @ idle. You may be running high vSoC by a wee bit. Otherwise I would look for background processes making your CPU active, since your total idle package power is higher than mine as well.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
My SoC Power (alone, not Core + SoC Power) is only ~14W @ idle. You may be running high vSoC by a wee bit. Otherwise I would look for background processes making your CPU active, since your total idle package power is higher than mine as well.

After exiting out Steam (had it running at startup), I'm down to 12w-13w.
Thanks for offering those reference #'s to compare too