Question Ryzen Master What a Disaster

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rinzler

Jan 2, 2016
Mistakenly installed this on my Win 7 PC running a Ryzen 7 2700 (non X)

After installation (which yielded no stop/warning message indicating it was not compatible) it began to launch and immediately blue screened, upon restart windows crashed and rebooted. After some fiddling I managed to remove ryzen Master and windows then began to boot up normally.

However my cpu jumps from 15X multiplier, all the way up to around 37. Voltage is very erratic bouncing wildly from 0.7 to 1.4

I updated and flashed the bios (gigabyte 450M board)

No effect, should I simply RMA the CPU?

Anything else to try?

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
Man you guys are giving this guy a pretty big amount of negative attitude. Yeah one should read the "bold print" about it being win 10 only and such. But the guy has a point. Having the installer detect the OS and abort install if not Win 10 isn't exactly magic. Any half competent programmer should be able to do it with with couple lines of code (getVersion + if/else).
If the software can nearly brick your computer if installed on wrong OS, making it hard to impossible to install on wrong OS is for sure not asking too much from the supplier.

I haven't known about ryzen master messing with the BIOS that hard. When I did RAM OC on my ryzen build for almost every failed attempt I had to reflash the bios. Guess I now finally know why.
Huh? Installing an unsupported OS and an unsupported bare metal application which shows disclaimers up the wazoo then blaming everyone but himself when his computer conks out? If you are using a computer one assumes you have a decent level of intelligence.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Man you guys are giving this guy a pretty big amount of negative attitude. Yeah one should read the "bold print" about it being win 10 only and such. But the guy has a point. Having the installer detect the OS and abort install if not Win 10 isn't exactly magic. Any half competent programmer should be able to do it with with couple lines of code (getVersion + if/else).
If the software can nearly brick your computer if installed on wrong OS, making it hard to impossible to install on wrong OS is for sure not asking too much from the supplier.

I haven't known about ryzen master messing with the BIOS that hard. When I did RAM OC on my ryzen build for almost every failed attempt I had to reflash the bios. Guess I now finally know why.
Its not just Ryzen master, the HARDWARE is not compatible per AMD. You want them to put another chip on the motherboards to see if win7 or older is being installed and stop it ?

Come on, get real.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Its not just Ryzen master, the HARDWARE is not compatible per AMD. You want them to put another chip on the motherboards to see if win7 or older is being installed and stop it ?

Come on, get real.

I was specifically talking about Ryzen Master which also happens to be the threads title and also is the cause of his system being nearly bricked. I'm a software dev and if you make an applications that manipulates the bios in such a way the computer becomes nonfunctional if you do that using the wrong OS, then it's simply lazy and bad practice if there is no check that prevents installation on anything else than supported OS. Especially since checking OS version is trivial on windows.

Was it smart what he did? Especially using EOL Windows 7? No. Is he overreacting? Yes. Still he has a point about being able to install Ryzen Master at all on anything else than win 10. That simply should not be possible when using the installer.

Reactions: Egonic

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I was specifically talking about Ryzen Master which also happens to be the threads title and also is the cause of his system being nearly bricked. I'm a software dev and if you make an applications that manipulates the bios in such a way the computer becomes nonfunctional if you do that using the wrong OS, then it's simply lazy and bad practice if there is no check that prevents installation on anything else than supported OS. Especially since checking OS version is trivial on windows.

Was it smart what he did? Especially using EOL Windows 7? No. Is he overreacting? Yes. Still he has a point about being able to install Ryzen Master at all on anything else than win 10. That simply should not be possible when using the installer.
Accidentally tried installing the wrong version of Canon software and it refused to install. I was instructed to download a newer compatible version. A basic OS check would not be a bad idea for serious software like Ryzen Master.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Asrock and Asus supported Win7 on X370 with 1st gen ryzen and I believe I ran Ryzen Master as well (version 1.0 or 1.3). Don't remember if I noticed it was win10 when I went to download or upgrade to version 2.x

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Asrock and Asus supported Win7 on X370 with 1st gen ryzen and I believe I ran Ryzen Master as well (version 1.0 or 1.3). Don't remember if I noticed it was win10 when I went to download or upgrade to version 2.x

Asrock and Asus provided Windows 7 drivers. Ryzen and X370 as AMD products were not supported in Windows 7 and Microsoft also doesn't support these products within the OS. Asus and Asrock giving enthusiasts options if they are willing to be enthusiasts about it, to get a few extra MB sales doesn't remove the facts that the primary hardware in these systems are not supported by the actual manufacturer or the OS developer.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
I tend to think posters for threads like these are designed as much to make sure negative thread titles stay in the forum as anything else. Is it possible to treat these a bit more light heartedly and change the titles of these threads to something like 'AMD launches biggest comeback since Lazarus' 'I bought AMD and I liked it' "man drops Intel like its hot (because 14nm is really hot)?

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I tend to think posters for threads like these are designed as much to make sure negative thread titles stay in the forum as anything else. Is it possible to treat these a bit more light heartedly and change the titles of these threads to something like 'AMD launches biggest comeback since Lazarus' 'I bought AMD and I liked it' "man drops Intel like its hot (because 14nm is really hot)?
I like this idea. Would help getting fewer clickbait titles for sure.