Question Ryzen Master What a Disaster

Rinzler

Jan 2, 2016
Mistakenly installed this on my Win 7 PC running a Ryzen 7 2700 (non X)

After installation (which yielded no stop/warning message indicating it was not compatible) it began to launch and immediately blue screened, upon restart windows crashed and rebooted. After some fiddling I managed to remove ryzen Master and windows then began to boot up normally.

However my cpu jumps from 15X multiplier, all the way up to around 37. Voltage is very erratic bouncing wildly from 0.7 to 1.4

I updated and flashed the bios (gigabyte 450M board)

No effect, should I simply RMA the CPU?

Anything else to try?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Windows 7 is not compatible with Ryzen as far as I know, forget the software.

Edit: see post 17, right above the link where you download the software, it says "Windows 10 64 bit edition" in big bold letters.

/end of thread

Last edited:

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
Mistakenly installed this on my Win 7 PC running a Ryzen 7 2700 (non X)

After installation (which yielded no stop/warning message indicating it was not compatible) it began to launch and immediately blue screened, upon restart windows crashed and rebooted. After some fiddling I managed to remove ryzen Master and windows then began to boot up normally.

However my cpu jumps from 15X multiplier, all the way up to around 37. Voltage is very erratic bouncing wildly from 0.7 to 1.4

I updated and flashed the bios (gigabyte 450M board)

No effect, should I simply RMA the CPU?

Anything else to try?
The CPU may be fine. As others said, the OS is the issue. Try a Ubuntu installation, just for kicks. If it works, you're probably going to need to upgrade Windows, may as well go with Windows 10.

Rinzler

Jan 2, 2016
The CPU may be fine. As others said, the OS is the issue. Try a Ubuntu installation, just for kicks. If it works, you're probably going to need to upgrade Windows, may as well go with Windows 10.

Unfortunately after some research it appears the problem goes much much deeper, came across this post in another forum

"
I used ryzen master. 1 format later... It orbitally nuked everything, i couldn't even reach bios. that was the 1st night i owned 3600. All in all, i actually managed to reach a healthy state again, after countless cmos resets, restarts and a few mantears.

I am happy to report that ryzen master has no place in my Windows, like ever again. Bios tweaking is enough. If u -redacted- up, it just will return to a prior known state, with ryzen master, you will probably need to nuke your bios along with yourself."

Still not sure how to attack the situation, but it appears RM writes some information to the bios which is very difficult to get rid of. AMD should be ashamed.

Profanity is not allowed in the tech forums.

Daveybrat
AT Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Still not sure how to attack the situation, but it appears RM writes some information to the bios which is very difficult to get rid of. AMD should be ashamed.

That's true, and it's by design. For example, if you tweak certain voltage settings from Ryzen Master, you actually have to uninstall Ryzen Master and reflash your UEFI to fix the problem. You probably have some UEFI settings changed since you installed it.

Reactions: spursindonesia

Zepp

May 18, 2019
with ryzen master, you will probably need to nuke your bios along with yourself."

why are you ranting about it here like you're trying to convince us Ryzen Master is crap?

I don't know how you even managed to install it on win7. I couldn't install it when I was still on win8.1.

YOU are at fault, not the software, or the developer

Rinzler

Jan 2, 2016
Or you know, don't install software that warns you several times not to install on your EOL operating system.

As I mentioned I received no such warning at anytime. If I had this could have been avoided.

As such this can happen too easily to anyone. The PC will still function, but poorly.

Rinzler

Jan 2, 2016
why are you ranting about it here like you're trying to convince us Ryzen Master is crap?

I don't know how you even managed to install it on win7. I couldn't install it when I was still on win8.1.

YOU are at fault, not the software, or the developer

I'm searching for some answers and simply stated what happened.

Again I got no indication this software was no compatible with my OS. I can't say if it's crap or not since it never actually launched.

It is 100% the software and developer at fault.

• Haha
Reactions: UsandThem

Rinzler

Jan 2, 2016
That's true, and it's by design. For example, if you tweak certain voltage settings from Ryzen Master, you actually have to uninstall Ryzen Master and reflash your UEFI to fix the problem. You probably have some UEFI settings changed since you installed it.

Thank you, it may not be fully uninstalled.

Since the program never launched and crashed the pc on first start up its difficult to know what settings were changed.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
As I mentioned I received no such warning at anytime. If I had this could have been avoided.

As such this can happen too easily to anyone. The PC will still function, but poorly.

My mistake, it was early and I misread your first post. With that said, Ryzen CPUs (which is what you would have if you want to use this program) are not supported on Windows 7 either and if you read the Ryzen Master user guide it clearly states it's only for Windows 10. So you have an unsupported OS running your system trying to run an unsupported overclocking application that messed up your system but it's the developer's fault?

If I were you I would completely wipe the drive, flash the bios, and reinstall from there.

Reactions: Thunder 57

Markfw

May 16, 2002
My mistake, it was early and I misread your first post. With that said, Ryzen CPUs (which is what you would have if you want to use this program) are not supported on Windows 7 either and if you read the Ryzen Master user guide it clearly states it's only for Windows 10. So you have an unsupported OS running your system trying to run an unsupported overclocking application that messed up your system but it's the developer's fault?

If I were you I would completely wipe the drive, flash the bios, and reinstall from there.
Reinstall windows 10 you might add.

Rinzler

Jan 2, 2016

Oh I'm sure AMD states in some documentation somewhere it's only Win 10 compatible, the question is how many users are actually going to read through a user guide beforehand. Allowing it to install on a Win 7 system without so much as a warning and then causing the PC to be inoperable is really inexcusable for AMD IMO. Im far from the only person that thinks so.

Anyway I will be installing Win10 on a old spare drive and then installing RM to see what happens.

• Haha
Reactions: UsandThem

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Oh I'm sure AMD states in some documentation somewhere it's only Win 10 compatible, the question is how many users are actually going to read through a user guide beforehand. Allowing it to install on a Win 7 system without so much as a warning and then causing the PC to be inoperable is really inexcusable for AMD IMO. Im far from the only person that thinks so.

Anyway I will be installing Win10 on a old spare drive and then installing RM to see what happens.
Here is the screen where you download Ryzen Master, AMD site. It says in big bold letters right above the download link "windows 10 64 bit edition" doesn't it ? Do you need glasses ??????
ZW1TjSa.png

Last edited:

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
op: per the RM reference guide on their website:  Ryzen Master will only install on a Microsoft Windows 10 PC running an AMD Ryzen or AMD Ryzen Threadripper processor

are you just looking for someone to blame in this MISTAKE of yours? Its your mistake and your mistake only. AMD doesn't need to advertise fine print everywhere. Even i was able to find the above quote in 2 minutes flat on amd's website.

if you poured vegetable oil in place of engine oil for an oil change, will you blame the car company? jesus...

if you're looking for help on how to fix this... fine. but you're doing more than that.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
the question is how many users are actually going to read through a user guide beforehand. Allowing it to install on a Win 7 system without so much as a warning and then causing the PC to be inoperable is really inexcusable for AMD
Did they take the knives away from you too? Live in a padded room? Have a little responsibility for your own actions, my friend.

Rinzler

Jan 2, 2016
Why do you guys care so much who I blame? If you are able to help then do so. If not and your only goal is to thread crap then why post at all?

You are engaging in the same thing you accuse me of. Whatever you may think what's done is done.

However my assertion that AMD didn't do near enough in regards to safeguarding it's users still stands.

• Haha
Reactions: spursindonesia

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Why do you guys care so much who I blame? If you are able to help then do so. If not and your only goal is to thread crap then why post at all?

You are engaging in the same thing you accuse me of. Whatever you may think what's done is done.

However my assertion that AMD didn't do near enough in regards to safeguarding it's users still stands.
Read post 17. Its right where you downloaded it. You can't understand how that makes everyone feel, that you couldn't use 2 cents of intelligence ? And you blame your ignorance on AMD ?

Rinzler

Jan 2, 2016
Here is the screen where you download Ryzen Master, AMD site. It says in big bold letters right above the download link "windows 10 64 bit edition" doesn't it ? Do you need glasses ??????
ZW1TjSa.png

Yes I need glasses. Did it ever cross your mind this didn't show for me? I never saw this message at any point.

Thanks for the valuable input sir.

Attachments

• rm1.png
    rm1.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 29

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Yes I need glasses. Did it ever cross your mind this didn't show for me? I never saw this message at any point.

Thanks for the valuable input sir.
OK, I found another place on AMD to download it. There is a link to the user guide, chapter 2, first thing, WINDOWS 10.
Then there is view the ORG, again, right there.
Then on these forums, its well known that Ryzen only supports windows 10.
Then there is the Ryzen user manual, its in there.

The information is widely available, and you have ignored all of it, and blame it on AMD, THATS WRONG ! Thats why you are getting flamed. Your post #20 is the most recent assertion thats its their fault.

Last edited:

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Despite your crazy clever thread title, I think that there are some forces at play here.

Clearly, companies are paying for astro-turfing (you know, people get paid to go complain about things they don't really care about but its really for lobbying or PR reasons?) and coming in here with a near fresh account (one post back in 2016 then this gem) is going to make it seem like you came in here with an agenda to make others fear to use AMD Ryzen or their Ryzen Master utility.

Well, whatever your purpose may or may not have been...

You aren't getting pity here. You installed software that you likely did click through a bunch of "yes" "next" and for sure one where it says "YOU BETTER KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING FOR DRAGONS ARE BEHIND THIS DOOR" and you still pulled a Leroy Jenkins anyway.

If you warn off others from trying to use Win 7 and incompatible software with your story of sorrow and loss, great. If you came here looking for sympathy for your FUD and for others to endorse your viewpoint, then this is the cold shoulder a seasoned community is going to give you.

Last edited:

Rinzler

Jan 2, 2016
Read post 17. Its right where you downloaded it. You can't understand how that makes everyone feel, that you couldn't use 2 cents of intelligence ? And you blame your ignorance on AMD ?

Sorry i hurt your feelings, you seem hell bent on simply assigning blame and have not added anything of any value. Again why post at all?

The VERY first word I posted in this thread is MISTAKENLY...is it not?

I made a mistake, I conceded that off the bat. And I also conceeded there is documentation stating compatibility.

However the average user new to Ryzen or not up on all things Hardware may not be aware and there needs to be a safeguard in place that costs AMD literally nothing.

Anyway all of that is not the focus. Please do not post unless you have a positive contribution.