How To Ryzen Master Performance Boost Overdrive EDC vs. PPT showdown

mtcn77

Feb 25, 2017
Hi,
I just found this on Reddit which I happened to consider to be useful for comparison's sake between EDC vs. PPT settings. Normally, you would think power regulation via PPT should fare better. That is more than likely, not to be the case. PPT helps relieve socket TDP for untampered overclocking. EDC is better in undervolting. I hope that helps.
Here are the charts reordered for better visibility of real world performance on Cinebench-R15. Not to spur any fanbase controversy - it is just that, the evidence base is relatively limited on this field. :p

Attachments

• PPT 3.png
    PPT 3.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 77
  • EDC 3.png
    EDC 3.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Interesting that they have data for declining values of PPT and EDC, but no data for increasing values.

My problem with PBO in general is that turning it on takes all rational limits off PPT, TDC, and EDC and . . . the result is really bad. For example, Ryzen Master lists PPT limit of 1200W, TDC of 540a and EDC of 600a when turning on PBO through that application. It doesn't really seem to do much.

edit: also, your URL is broken. The text is correct, but the link you specified is not.

Corrected link.

mtcn77

Feb 25, 2017
Interesting that they have data for declining values of PPT and EDC, but no data for increasing values.

My problem with PBO in general is that turning it on takes all rational limits off PPT, TDC, and EDC and . . . the result is really bad. For example, Ryzen Master lists PPT limit of 1200W, TDC of 540a and EDC of 600a when turning on PBO through that application. It doesn't really seem to do much.

edit: also, your URL is broken. The text is correct, but the link you specified is not.

Corrected link.
Ryzen Master provides you on pointers as to how you can revert back to basics. Generally, even 3900X has a correspondingly low base setting(90A EDC - equal to 60A on 3700X). The gist of the matter is that EDC provides another safety net which should fall just shy of the PPT limit.
Also, PBO is not warranted. This is only a demonstration showcase for PB 2 optimisation with personalized pointers.