Question Ryzen CPU won't POST

H2OPOK

Oct 29, 2020
Hi,

a dead looking CPU got into my hands. It won't POST, there is just a black screen while the fans are spinning, but(!) the CPU is warming up after the computer is powered on.

The motherboard's BIOS supports the CPU and also other parts do work because if the CPU is replaced by another one then the system boots up as normal.

I don't see any bent pins.

Since the CPU is warming up I suspect that it could be resurrected back to life.

Any ideas about the root cause of the problem and a possible fix?

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Hi,

a dead looking CPU got into my hands. It won't POST, there is just a black screen while the fans are spinning, but(!) the CPU is warming up after the computer is powered on.

The motherboard's BIOS supports the CPU and also other parts do work because if the CPU is replaced by another one then the system boots up as normal.

I don't see any bent pins.

Since the CPU is warming up I suspect that it could be resurrected back to life.

Any ideas about the root cause of the problem and a possible fix?

Just because the CPU is warming up (hopefully you tested by checking the heatsink temperature) doesn't mean the CPU isn't dead. The CPU could still power on but the logic could be toast.

With that said, what board and CPU are you testing and what bios version are you using?

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
With that said, what board and CPU are you testing and what bios version are you using?
This. Unless you mention which CPUs you're talking about and board bios version, no one can give you a conclusive answer since bios updates are needed to work from generation to generation.

H2OPOK

Oct 29, 2020
Are you clearing CMOS when swapping?

Of course, I'm not an amateur.

This. Unless you mention which CPUs you're talking about and board bios version, no one can give you a conclusive answer since bios updates are needed to work from generation to generation.

cymjlr.jpg

I also tested the CPU with all 4 ram slots individually, no luck.

Could it be that the soldering of a pin gets loose (due to heat) and the contact breaks?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zucker2k