Discussion Ryzen CPU with Xilinx AI Engine: in the lab for testing!

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
Looks like AMD is full speed ahead with Xilinx (technology).
They have dies ready in the lab for testing.

Not sure which Zen core this could be, maybe a first test version of Zen5.
I would assume that the Xilinx engine is a separate die. (probably stacked)
Could also be a Zen4 as substitute during tests for zen5 later.

I thought they would first go to the server market, but maybe Ryzen is the field test for servers. I certainly don' t mind :)
On the other hand there is no info for servers so could still be sooner than Ryzen.

I'm wondering which specific AI applications they are targetting with this engine.
Maybe game related AI....

EDIT: AI use in gaming: https://dataconomy.com/2022/04/artificial-intelligence-games/

Last edited:

naad

May 31, 2022
Considering how much use Intel's "NPU" and "ISP" IP blocks are being put to use in mobile, I don't have much hope for this in 2023, now if it can be used for internal power and SMU management I'm game.

Also it's for Phoenix point, early 2023 at CES apparently.

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
Considering how much use Intel's "NPU" and "ISP" IP blocks are being put to use in mobile, I don't have much hope for this in 2023, now if it can be used for internal power and SMU management I'm game.
I hope Cisco WebEx and Microsoft Teams implement something using WinML so that using this AI Engine in business laptops instead of GPU/CPU can contribute to extending battery life. Teams and WebEx do a lot of echo cancellation, noise reduction, AI bits to handle non real time and real time calls etc.
Our Teams have some AI bits and start suggesting responses whenever you receive messages, pretty nifty when you are busy in a meeting and cannot respond to people's messages.
Latest version of Outlook and Word also have lots of AI bits, but I am yet to activate them.

We use WebEx a lot and it slows down to a crawl because of all these AI stuffs they are adding. They have real time CC, hints, auto translation, echo cancellation, noise reduction and they have AV1 enabled too during screen sharing. Basically a must have for folks doing work from home. If they can demo this, for business is a big win.

Last edited:

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I hope Cisco WebEx and Microsoft Teams implement something using WinML so that using this AI Engine in business laptops instead of GPU/CPU can contribute to extending battery life. Teams and WebEx do a lot of echo cancellation, noise reduction, AI bits to handle non real time and real time calls etc.
Our Teams have some AI bits and start suggesting responses whenever you receive messages, pretty nifty when you are busy in a meeting and cannot respond to people's messages.
Latest version of Outlook and Word also have lots of AI bits, but I am yet to activate them.

We use WebEx a lot and it slows down to a crawl because of all these AI stuffs they are adding. They have real time CC, hints, auto translation, echo cancellation, noise reduction and they have AV1 enabled too during screen sharing. Basically a must have for folks doing work from home. If they can demo this, for business is a big win.

Agreed, GPU Offload was a huge boost to being able to use WebEx (and of course later on Teams) with big WebEx calls on battery and still have both excellent performance and battery life. The GPU barely needs to ramp its clocks to keep up and on like Intel’s iGPUs, is responsible for less than 1W of Power.

Now that AI features have come for noise reduction, background filtering, and transcribing, we need a ML implementation that will use some of these blocks for these functions while keeping the CPU as close to idle as possible.

Of course, none of that will matter as long as Corporate keeps shoving enough file scanners and security analytics applications on our systems. 🙄

Reactions: Kaluan

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Of course, I'm curious if these CPUs can do "FPGA mining"... I'm waiting for Intel to include "Bitcoin mining accceleration tech" into their CPU lineup.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
Agreed, GPU Offload was a huge boost to being able to use WebEx (and of course later on Teams) with big WebEx calls on battery and still have both excellent performance and battery life. The GPU barely needs to ramp its clocks to keep up and on like Intel’s iGPUs, is responsible for less than 1W of Power.

Now that AI features have come for noise reduction, background filtering, and transcribing, we need a ML implementation that will use some of these blocks for these functions while keeping the CPU as close to idle as possible.

Of course, none of that will matter as long as Corporate keeps shoving enough file scanners and security analytics applications on our systems. 🙄
Ugh, that junk! It has me poyring over ssd reviews, not for all iut performance, but for total energy usage per lookup and transfer action. I'm literally replacing older OEM ssds with nore energy efficient ones and realizing improved battery life.