Ryzen builders, tell me what motherboard to buy

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
So I just bought a Ryzen 1700X with the Ebay coupon for a replacement build for my oldest son's computer. I will be getting a Noctua conversion kit to reuse the NH-U12S. Since I have used Intel for the past 10 years, I need a motherboard with the following in mind:

-Will not be overclocking.
-Number of RGB lights is not important at all.
-Looking for a good quality, stable motherboard with good BIOS support/updates
-I'll also need some RAM (16GB), so if you have good luck with a particular model, I'd appreciate that info as well.
-I really want to stay under $150 (I'd probably just buy the Taichi board if it wasn't so pricey).
-Prefer ATX, by mATX would be OK as well.

I've looked at a few boards that seem good, but I like having some "hands-on" experiences and tips.

The ones I have looked at are these:

Asus Prime X370-A **This one has PCI slots, so no longer considering it**
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132986&ignorebbr=1

Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128991&ignorebbr=1

Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157774&ignorebbr=1

***EDIT March 29***

I decided to go with the Asrock X370 Pro4 and some ADATA Ram that was on the motherboard's QVL. It's an inexpensive board at $100 ($90 after $10 MIR), but seems to have everything I need. Hopefully it works out.

***EDIT April 1st***

The install went fine. I installed a Noctua NH-U12S on it, and there were no clearance issues. The RAM was on the motherboard's QVL, and automatically booted at that speed without me having to do anything. The board is more on the basic side, but is good quality. So anybody looking for a good entry-level board, the X370 Pro4 for $90 is a solid choice.

Last edited:

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
When I bought my Taichi, it was $180 and there was a MIR for $20-$30. I'm surprised there aren't more deals with the X470 coming out soon. I only have experience with that and the Crosshair 6 though. My RAM is the Gskill FlareX, worked out of the box.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I'd start by trying to find some affordable memory... then grab a board with support. Most of the first generation AM4 boards are plenty stable now through BIOS revisions. FlareX is great memory but still expensive as far as I've seen. There are some other memory picks though for AM4 platform... do you have a speed target?

The Taichi is typically regarded as the best OC'ing board but since you aren't planning to do that you'd probably be fine with any of them. I've had really good luck with the MSI Tomahawk B350 and the BIOS is basically idiot-proof.

Reactions: UsandThem

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I'd start by trying to find some affordable memory... then grab a board with support. Most of the first generation AM4 boards are plenty stable now through BIOS revisions. FlareX is great memory but still expensive as far as I've seen. There are some other memory picks though for AM4 platform... do you have a speed target?

The Taichi is typically regarded as the best OC'ing board but since you aren't planning to do that you'd probably be fine with any of them. I've had really good luck with the MSI Tomahawk B350 and the BIOS is basically idiot-proof.
I checked pcpartpicker and the DDR4-3200 FlareX was the cheapest Cas14 on there, but $47 more expensive than the cheapest Cas16.

Reactions: UsandThem

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I would suggest you go with the X370 chipset. It's better for OCing than the B350 chipset. I have a Ryzen R3 1200 build with a MSI B350 Carbon Gaming Pro (Top Of The Line mid grade) motherboard. The latest bios solved all the memory problems of the past. I have 3200mhz ram and it loads the XMP profile of the ram by default with no memory issues. On the previous bios I could get it to run 3200mhz but with slightly loose timings.

The X370 does OC better than B350 chipset and considering you have an 8 core Ryzen. You would be best served with an x370 motherboard. Which one is up for debate.