Ryzen 7 stability

tribeca600

May 18, 2017
Any of you experiencing issues with your Ryzen 7 system? I had a few disturbing issues in the last few days - once my system would not wake up from sleep, fan and power were on but nothing really happened. I had to hard reset. Today I was looking at something in CPUID and the screen just blanked out and hard reset was not working either - perhaps a total crash. I had to unplug and reboot. I don't see anything of alarm in the event viewer.

These are the only 2 events that have happened in the last 3 weeks of use.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
What BIOS you using?
Usually, when it hard locks, and you aren't O/C'ing and the voltages are normal, then it could be motherboard (or BIOS) or CPU and I have seen this a few time on RAM issues.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Any of you experiencing issues with your Ryzen 7 system? I had a few disturbing issues in the last few days - once my system would not wake up from sleep, fan and power were on but nothing really happened. I had to hard reset. Today I was looking at something in CPUID and the screen just blanked out and hard reset was not working either - perhaps a total crash. I had to unplug and reboot. I don't see anything of alarm in the event viewer.

No.
Working with memory oc gives those seldom weird problems. I dont know what your status is here?
Aside from that its fairly easy to work with oc on the system as it either works or not. Easiest oc of cpu or gpu i have tried in 30 years.

If it doesnt wake up from sleep make sure the screen is on. It can be a gfx driver/screen/windows error. I have had that issue both with core and ryzen and it was solved by either gfx driver or windows update. Cant remember.

Btw this question is perhaps better posed in the ryzen builders thread. There is a lot of people comming there.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My Ryzen 5 1600 rig with AIO CLC, sometimes fails to wake from monitor sleep mode, I had to unplug the HDMI from the video card and plug it back in, earlier today, to get it working again. The PC hadn't crashed though, just an AMD "driver bug".

Reactions: Drazick

Space Tyrant

Feb 14, 2017
I also have a sleep anomaly. My 1600 fails to wake the (DVI) monitor after sleep when SMT is disabled. With SMT enabled, it behaves normaly.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
No, but I don't overclock and I do not ever put my PC to sleep (only monitors go to sleep).

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My system is very similar to yours sporting several of the same components. I have had similar things happen with mine but not for a long time. On my 4th bios update and it has been pretty stable with the most recent bios revisions. Are you current on the bios revision? I would suggest that first if you aren't and see how things shake out.

plopke

Jan 26, 2010
My experience of ryzen stability :

I do not overclock ,Ryzen 1700, RX470 nitro sapphire(silent bios switch on) ,ADATA XPG 16GB ,
Gigabyte B350 GAMING 3 , no beta bios used. System is always shut down during night.

Default changed settings :
-SVM on (virtualisation) which is off by default not on like the manual says
-LED off
-PCIe GPU mode manually set to v3 (enabled since F7)
-XMP profile 1(enabled since F7)

Bios F5 problems :
-2 times the bios kept resetting it self on powering on the system, flashing itself back
BIOS F6 1.0.0.4 AGESA
-changing any bios setting then restarting (save/exit-restart) created sometimes a loop, the motherboards led go CPU ok , memory ok , and then loops on the GPU initialisation
-if i set bios logo off it changes the above result to a soft lock and shows American blabla bios text logo and sits there still , so soft lock.
BIOS F7 , enabled xmp profile now AGESA 1.0.0.6
-after the flash to F7 and the restart still soft locked only a power down worked.

Also i never seem my bios post screen ever , it goes straight to windows , maybe because the GPU ramps up slowly i just do not see the screen.
These happened very rarely once a month and not yet after the F7 bios , i still wonder if fast boot settings are wrong and it is actually on, you can not trust the manual at least what is so called default on/off.

In windows, Firefox crashed on twitch streams now and then , that seams to be gone since F7 which i assume is purely accidental or one of the Readon drivers update fixed it. 2 months of average use of 12-16 hours a day , one BSOD on a video game.

Ran after F7 the windows memory diagnostic just out of curiosity and was ok , maybe i should run some stability tests.

kush120

Mar 16, 2017
I'm using a Ryzen 7 1700 at 3,850mhz with 3200mhz memory and a 1070. No problems at all. Have it sitting next to a 6600k 4.5ghz rig with similar specs and beats it in almost everything.

Have had no issues, using newest bios on a gigabyte k7 x370 mobo.

Only issues I've had was memory not running XMP but thats been fixed with newest BIOS. Crashing during stability tests when finding my OC sweetspot. Love gigabyte dual bios switch, the peace of mind of having the backup bios I can swap to if I bork it is fantastic.

I run my machine hard, and use it 6-10 hours per day everyday. Not one crash since I've found the correct offset voltage.

Also, I don't sleep my PC since it mines Eth while I'm not using it.

Reactions: richierich1212

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

I had issues at first till I realized the problem for me.

Windows 10 power settings has turn off hard disk after 20 minutes. After I turned that off, no problems since.

Before that it used to annoy me that if I wanted to save something to my storage hard disk, it would almost feel like it was locking up and blue screening.

Since then no problems and its almost been like windows 7.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Could be Motherboard related on the waking from sleep or a vid driver issue. While it only affects a small portion of users sleep wake up issues have been plaguing users since like the 6950 gen. For Motherboard, I have an asrock Z97 ITX board that absolutely refuses to stay asleep or will lockup post windows shutdown if I did anything intensive in the 30 minutes prior to shutdown.

As for the CPUID problem. I would say it's too early to chart. If its the first time you have had the issue, I wouldn't write it off. But if doing the same thing doesn't make it crash now. Keep an eye on it and see how it goes. It could be anything from CPU, Motherboard, or memory, or just some problem with the program/OS or could have been some poorly timed memory access that windows freaked out over (won't be the first nor the last time that happens).

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
you-cant-if-you-dont-you-cant-have-the-wake-from-sleep-bug-if-you-dont-go-to-sleep.jpg

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
Not OC or putting to sleep my 1800X, 3200 Trident Z, MSI XPower Gaming Titanium system, I leave it running 24/7 (very stable too) but every now and then I have to unplug the HDMI and plug it back in when switching my TV source to PCs HDMI.

I am using an XFX RX 480 GTR Black Edition 8GB (1338Mhz stock) card, and using a Display Port to HDMI cable (Need the native HDMI for my HTC Vive).

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
I've got an r5 1600 and a stock b350 pro4. For what its worth in was not having any video issues with my trusty old GTS450. But I recently swapped that out for an rx460 I started having a issue. My system doesn't sleep but the screens blank and the monitors go into low power mode. With the rx460, one of the three monitors is all white noise when I return after the monitors sleep. Its always the same monitor and its fixed by powering off then powering on the monitor in question. I've been assuming its the rx460 or RADEON driver since it only started after installing the new video card.

On CPU ID, there is a dozen specific version floating around . Don't remember where I got it but the voltages it displays seem to match up with what I get in the bios.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No stability issues. I dont go to sleep though i have all sleep and power saving features disabled.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
No crashes or BSODs here except when I was playing with higher memory speeds (3466 and 3600). Though I don't use sleep mode so I can't comment on that.

If it only crashes in CPUID, it might be a compatibility issue (old version of CPUID?). However if it's generally unstable, it could be something else (RAM, CPU, mobo, PSU...).

DidelisDiskas

Dec 27, 2015
r7 1700 stock with Asrock b350 pro4 and an amd r7 360 gpu. Have not encountered any strange behaviour for the 3 months that i own the cpu. I am however running linux and have not made a swap partition for hibernation.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
R7 1700 on Asus Prime X370 Pro running with DDR4 3200 CL14 - no issues. Mining and gaming on R9 290X + R9 290. Computer is running 24/7 for the last two weeks with all power savings options turned on for mining and disabled for gaming. Default BIOS settings for power. BIOS 0803.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
R5 1600 (currently stock but have ran @ 3600 mhz all-core before with no issues I recall and stock cooler) on Asus B350 Prime Plus, running GSkill Hynix 3000 MHz 15-16-16 ram @ 3066 Mhz 14-15-15 timing, R9-285 Video and on 24-7 except during thunder boomer's and no sleep bug or any other issue for what I do. (I'm even using a very old Antec 550w True Power 2.0 psu that I've used for 4 builds).

There are some mobo makers behind the curve especially MSI last I recall a while back when it comes to certain updates.

tribeca600

May 18, 2017
The crash was a one off, it has not crashed since and the system has been up for about 10 days since now. I tried CPU-Z as well and can't get it to crash again.