Question Ryzen 7 5800x Temps

LouPoir

Lifer
Mar 17, 2000
Have been running Intel for the last 10 years. Bored, decided to try AMD. I bought a Ryzen 7 5800X and a Gigabyte X570 M/B and Corsair H80i water cooling.

Wow, this processor runs hot all the time. What a disappointment. Idle in the 40c range, under load prime95 max, 85c. Guess I should have done my research before I jumped in. I value a silent computer for gaming.

The 5800X is a 105w processor. Wondering if I drop down to a 65w processor, it would run cooler.

My intel 9700k ran quiet under all conditions.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Lou

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Have been running Intel for the last 10 years. Bored, decided to try AMD. I bought a Ryzen 7 5800X and a Gigabyte X570 M/B and Corsair H80i water cooling.

Wow, this processor runs hot all the time. What a disappointment. Idle in the 40c range, under load prime95 max, 85c. Guess I should have done my research before I jumped in. I value a silent computer for gaming.

The 5800X is a 105w processor. Wondering if I drop down to a 65w processor, it would run cooler.

Lou
It would run cooler, but probably not significantly. The Zen 3 chips run hot simply due to how they measure it and how dense it is, and if you're not pushing up against thermal limits you're probably fine. It takes a little recalibration as to what's considered hot.
You might need to adjust your fan profile for the new chip though, allowing the chip to run hotter for a given fan speed.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
But what are you temps when you use your PC for real world tasks?

I don't understand when people post Prime95 temps for any high-end CPU as it will cause high temps for just about every 8+ core CPU out there.

Plus, you could set your CPU to eco mode in the BIOS, and lose just a small amount of performance, while saving a good amount of electricity and heat. The motherboard manufacturer likely has things like PBO turned on automatically, and those settings will use run the CPU with higher voltages and boosts (the same thing is done with current Intel boards as well causing their CPUs to use way more power than official Intel "specs").

I know when I put together my 2700X build in my signature, Asus had aggressive enabled by default, and my CPU was idling in the upper 40s. After I disabled PBO and I believe it was called "multi-core enhancement", both of which increased performance by small amount (at the expense of power and efficiency). Now my CPU idles in the low to mid 30s, and I believe tops out in the low 60s (it's been a while now since I looked).

If you would have gone with a CPU like the 10900k or 10700k, and left the motherboard to default settings, you'd really see power usage and heat running Prime95.

Here's a thread on Reddit about the eco mode setting:
There was a user who posted their results as well here before, but I couldn't quickly find it. Found it: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/new-5950x-box-for-dc.2587905/page-2#post-40373351

Last edited:

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
when i was a child i would be so worried about the temps of my cpu (i wanted it to idle 30c or lower and never go above 60C :p , the 5800x runs hot because it has less area for the heat to dissipate from its fine, under volt it a tiny bit if you are worried.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
when i was a child i would be so worried about the temps of my cpu (i wanted it to idle 30c or lower and never go above 60C :p , the 5800x runs hot because it has less area for the heat to dissipate from its fine, under volt it a tiny bit if you are worried.
I really didn't care about my temps so much, however with the default Asus settings, my CPU fan had to spin at a higher RPM and it was louder than I wanted in my home office. However, when I began looking into changing the BIOS settings, I noticed the CPU fan constantly spinning up and down to combat the temperature jumps and that was the most noticeable thing for me. Now when I'm at my desktop or doing normal desktop work, the RPMs are much more consistent.

Reactions: killster1

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
My 5800x runs peaks at around 84C during a single run of Cinebench R11.5 (Multicore). Mine peaks at round 79C during 5 minutes of Prime95 v30.3's (small FFT). During a 5-minute run of OCCT CPU test, mine peaks at around 84C. I have the latest official BIOS (1202) for my Asus B550-F Strix (Wi-Fi) motherboard, but did find that the latest beta BIOS (1801) ran my 5800x around 5C hotter during full load than the latest official BIOS (1202). I have PBO disabled, Asus Performance Enhancer disabled, and using the stock power/current limits of the CPU. If I enable Asus Performance Enhancer, my 5800x shoots up to 90C near the end of the first run of Cinebench R11.5 (Multicore) and the score does not improve, most likely because of the thermal throttling cancelling out the performance benefit of the Asus Performance Enhancer feature. However, in X-Plane 11, it's usually around 65C during flight and peaks at around 82C during loading an airport with the Cpu fans spinning at top or near top speeds. I do limit the frame rate to 30 fps for X-Plane 11. I'm using a Noctua U12A for my 5800x.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The issue is the noise of the fans. I want a quiet gaming computer and do not want to hear the fans of the water cooling.
I had to create a custom fan curve in the BIOS, so you might need to do the same (Corsair fans are usually pretty noticeable when running at higher RPMs). I set my temperature polling at every 10 seconds so the short CPU boosts didn't cause the CPU fan to spin up and down every few seconds.

Honestly, a custom fan curve and changing a couple of CPU related settings mentioned in this thread, you can make it pretty quiet. I have my PC dead silent where I can't even hear it running.

LouPoir

Lifer
Mar 17, 2000
I had to create a custom fan curve in the BIOS, so you might need to do the same (Corsair fans are usually pretty noticeable when running at higher RPMs). I set my temperature polling at every 10 seconds so the short CPU boosts didn't cause the CPU fan to spin up and down every few seconds.

Honestly, a custom fan curve and changing a couple of CPU related settings mentioned in this thread, you can make it pretty quiet. I have my PC dead silent where I can't even hear it running.

Great idea. I'm trying that out and I am able to reduce the fan noise.

Thanks,

Lou

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Would my old X99 water block work for one of these chips? I want an 8 core 5000 series for the single core wrecking power in VR.

LouPoir

Lifer
Mar 17, 2000
Would my old X99 water block work for one of these chips? I want an 8 core 5000 series for the single core wrecking power in VR.

Likely. The water cooling I have works great, its just the fan speed I find annoying. I look for a completely silent or as close to that in a gaming computer.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Yeah, if the concern is acoustics you'll just need to adjust your fan curves. The way the chips are designed and the temperature is measured it's simply impossible to keep temperatures what you might consider low. Even with full custom water my CPU runs north of 60C running Cinebench R20 single thread, and that's with package power being 1/2 of TDP. One core is running 5GHz though, and it measures that hot spot. I could run the fans full out or not at all and it would only change that temperature by a couple degrees though, since it's only dumping 55W into my loop.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

Lou

Yes more research required.

That AIO isn't strong enough.

I'm on a Corsair H150i Pro which is 360mm my full load temps don't exceed 76c and machine is silent.

Running Aida64 Stress test with AVX on.

Last edited:
Reactions: loafbred

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Not sure why anyone would use the Corsair H80i when you could just use a Dark Rock Pro 4 or NH-D15 instead. Unless size/clearance is an issue. Those HSFs don't make that much noise, and probably get you better cooling capacity than a tiny AiO like the H80i.

A 5800X is basically a 142W CPU in MT tasks. And it's not that easy to keep the temps below 70C when you push something on that process.

Reactions: Makaveli

Snakexor

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
what voltage are you running? i undervolted mine to 1.35 with 5.05ghz boost PBO2

significantly lowered temps and average sustained boost clocks

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013

Lou
An H80i is a toy. You have a great build and then use a cooler that is about as entry level as it gets.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013

Lou
The research you should have done is that H80i is not up to the task of cooling any modern high end cpu. The 5800X doesn't run hot. The problem is your cooler is just a tiny piece of junk with maybe an ounce of liquid in it. Would you try to cool a 455 cubic inch V8 with the radiator from a 1.6 litre 4 banger?

LouPoir

Lifer
Mar 17, 2000
From your inputs, I came away thinking that as the generation of cpu's went up, my cooling remained the same
The research you should have done is that H80i is not up to the task of cooling any modern high end cpu. The 5800X doesn't run hot. The problem is your cooler is just a tiny piece of junk with maybe an ounce of liquid in it. Would you try to cool a 455 cubic inch V8 with the radiator from a 1.6 litre 4 banger?

After reading your and others input, it became apparent that my cooling was not up to handling a Ryzen 7 5800X. Appreciate your input.

Lou

Reactions: Makaveli and Markfw

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Yeah, I didn't notice OP was talking about an H80i. My radiators are basically 9 of those things combined but better, lol. I'm such a water snob now. Its your guyzes fault. You did this to me. I want a 5800X and it's been months since release. I can't find one. I'm getting pissed off. This is stupid.

LouPoir

Lifer
Mar 17, 2000
Yeah, I didn't notice OP was talking about an H80i. My radiators are basically 9 of those things combined but better, lol. I'm such a water snob now. Its your guyzes fault. You did this to me. I want a 5800X and it's been months since release. I can't find one. I'm getting pissed off. This is stupid.

I have one for sale in the for sale forums.

Lou

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
I grabbed Lou's chip, so far am happy with it.

Will post its current setup in the builders thread.

Best of luck with the parts hunt Lou, strange time for PC builders :confused: