Question Ryzen 5950x with icegiant prosiphon elite build 👌

TechyGeek

Feb 23, 2015
Hi guys

Building a 5950x system here :)

• Primary role is gaming development and vms.
  • Thinking of buying 2 crucial BL2K32G36C16U4BL kits for 128gb ram total.
  • Already bought icegiant pro siphon cooler - look that one up :)
  • Already have asus gaming tuf x570 mobo.
  • Already have evga supernova 850 g3 psu
  • Already have fractal r7 case.
  • GPU is going to be 6800xt?
Questions :

Is Mobo/PSU combo OK for 4.4ghz all core pbo and 5 ghz single?

Can I do tweaks and slight ram oc on this mobo/PSU? Like run it at 3733mhz 15 cas latency and 1.4 v?

Can I throw in a gpu overclock too?

Thanks all!

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
This cooler is so heavy it has potential to break the motherboard, esp. if you jerked the PC somehow. Never try to move the PC by car or ship it with this cooler on.

Personally I would not use that. If I did, I would suspend it on some string or holder, so that it does not hang on the MB with its full weight.

Reactions: Fardringle

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I think the 850 G3 will be fine for that configuration. Even with PBO, memory tweaking, and a GPU overclock.

That being said, if you find yourself regularly fully loading your CPU and GPU simultaneously you might see what your total power draw ends up being. If it's pretty close to 850W, I'd consider upgrading to a higher tier unit with more headroom due to your professional application.

No need to toy with a mid-range consumer PSU with little headroom when you are using it for your livelihood.

TechyGeek

Feb 23, 2015
Thanks all for your feedback. The cooler and the opinions on the feasibility of the overclocks definitely help ;) i'm seeing 853 watt at 100 cpu usage and 4.5 oc pbo.

Go here for the cooler info.
It's really revolutionary design.

I think the 850 G3 will be fine for that configuration. Even with PBO, memory tweaking, and a GPU overclock.

That being said, if you find yourself regularly fully loading your CPU and GPU simultaneously you might see what your total power draw ends up being. If it's pretty close to 850W, I'd consider upgrading to a higher tier unit with more headroom due to your professional application.

No need to toy with a mid-range consumer PSU with little headroom when you are using it for your livelihood.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
holy sh ...

oh well, after watching the video, it's not that big. It's a AIO but the tubing got removed. I haven't seen the stats yet but i would imagine a big rad AIO from any major manufacturer would probably be a safer bet.

Reactions: Tlh97 and TechyGeek

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
It weights 2 kilos with the fans. I think it should be shipping with some holders to be able to mount it to the top of the case.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
BTW an interesting thing about this cooler is how is the boiling point of the cooling liquid set (by chemical compound used and pressure inside). This boiling point cannot be set too low not to compromise cooling performace at higher thermal output and temperature, so I believe the idle temperatures will be higher than on other coolers, set by the boiling point of the liquid.

TechyGeek

Feb 23, 2015
There are benchmarks of the prototype showing 400watt+ dissipation capacity. The temperature benchmarks are among the lowest. You guys do research? I provided a few links...

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Thanks all for your feedback. The cooler and the opinions on the feasibility of the overclocks definitely help ;) i'm seeing 853 watt at 100 cpu usage and 4.5 oc pbo.

I assume 853 is at the wall, so you're probably drawing around 750W. That's a bit higher than I'd like for long-term, stable loading. Think about upgrading to a higher tier unit at 1kW or so. (I would recommend the Prime TX-1000 but that's a very partial recommendation).

Mostly because its capacity is >1300W so even loading it to the rating is not actually a "full load" for the unit.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
My TR 3970X and 3090 build never saw more than 850W power draw at the wall. When looking at either my 3900XT or 9900K with the 3090, I never see more than 650W. The 5950X and 6800XT should be more efficient than any of those builds.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
we have an existing thread on the icegiant siphon. i've updated it with the LTT video on the latest production version.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
An Ice Giant seems like overkill for a 5950x considering it's designed for something like a Threadripper than can easily push over 400W when OC'd. I suppose if you did want to be able to push it as far as you could on air, it might be reasonable. You'll have to let us know how it goes when you get all of it.

Det0x

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2014
The IceGiant is a bad cooler for the 5950x according to reviews. (and all other cpus that use less then 200-250watt for that matter)

icegiant.png

Watch the last 4 minutes from this video

*edit*

This thread feels like a PR stunt (?)

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Doesn't it weigh the same as a DH15? Also if this thread is a PR stunt then it's a bad one because they got chewed out for being a poor performing cooler months ago by the Canadian wizz kid.

TechyGeek

Feb 23, 2015
I researched this. The weight is distributed by the backplate. Also, this cpu can output 250 watts overclocked. I hope that this cpu/cooler combo is excellent

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Noctua NH_D15 weights "only" 1320g with fans. (specs say with FAN, so it is possible the weight it just with one fan).

The Icegiant weights 2000g with all 4 fans.

The trouble is that the MB is not mounted to the MB tray right at the socket. So the MB between the socket and the MB mounting points acts like a spring. Weight hanging on a spring has some resonance frequency. So not just an isolated jolt but also e.g. your step matching this frequency when carrying the PC will result in components flying off the MB or tracks cracking.

Hanging 2 kilo weight on a motherboard is no fun, esp. if you then move it.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I played around with some Crucial Ballistix Max memory last month. Returned them. While the primary timings are okay, the Micron chips are no comparison to good Samsung B-die memory. The sub-timings are terrible, untweakable, and can drag performance down.

Find the lowest CAS timing Samsung B-die memory for whatever speed you're targeting.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
If you were concerned about the weight on the socket, you might be able to attach it to the top of your case with some standoffs.
1607098491542.png
Even two on the outside corners would probably be enough to keep it from flexing the PCB much of you're moving it around.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
There's actual liquid in these heat-pipes or is terminology being bent to advertise a new product?
Yes, there is liquid in the heat pipes. It is purported to be dielectric. Not sure it matters. It sounds like OP is going to overclock, so the use of some sort of more robust solution is good, but I'd just use a good AIO, which will make venting the hot air easier, won't put weight on the mobo, and has a better durability track record (not that the Ice Giant is unreliable, but there is not as much of a track record to compare so we do not know that it is reliable either -- for a work rig, no chance I'd use something unproven).

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
@amrnuke Ok. I was assuming she meant all brands of heatsinks with heatpipes had fluid in the heatpipes.

Pretty sure that's an integral mechanic to the functioning of heatpipes.... The fluid heats up and evaporates, carrying the heat away then condenses and is wicked back to the base.

If there's no fluid in a heatpipe it's not a heatpipe, just a hollow copper tube...

The difference in the Thermosiphon is it uses a siphoning effect to circulate the fluid like an air conditioning refrigerant loop instead of just up and down with a wick.

Reactions: Drazick

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
This is tangential, but how much benefit would there be to considering airflow and cooling on the back side of the socket? Rather than throwing more and more on top, what about considering how/if one could dissipate even a mild amount of heat from the rear. Gotta go through PCB, plastic socket, though they are imperfect insulators and so could be a mild target, even if only having a fan circulating back there.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
This is tangential, but how much benefit would there be to considering airflow and cooling on the back side of the socket? Rather than throwing more and more on top, what about considering how/if one could dissipate even a mild amount of heat from the rear. Gotta go through PCB, plastic socket, though they are imperfect insulators and so could be a mild target, even if only having a fan circulating back there.

This is something a lot of board designers consider for GPUs, where the die is on a substrate on the PCB with good physical contact between them.

I think a CPU socket introduces enough insulation that heatsinking the back of the motherboard is not going to present much of a benefit. Definitely not enough benefit to justify the materials/cost/space to do it.

It's really easy for GPU designers to slap a thermal pad on the back of the PCB to heatsink it to the already-existing backplate.

Last edited: