Question Ryzen 5000 series having worrying failure rate

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
So rumors or statements have been going out about the 5000 series having high failure rates.
At first i threw it off as rumors from PowerGPU due to them pulling the thread.
But now PCMag has also confirmed some troubling issues with the silicon.

I'm not saying AMD is at fault here, i think something might be wrong with TSMC's 7nm.

The problem also does not only lie in the CPU.
I'm also hearing very bad things about the motherboards (B550 and X570).
About USB issues in general.
There are a lot of threads like this popping out on Reddit and other tech forums outside ours:

To me honestly this is sort of disturbing.
I can always write off one thing as just bad building, but when its slowly catching fire and momentum, it has to make you wonder.

Is it memory compatibility or again, is something wrong with TSMC?
Maybe a mouse got in the waffer and thought it was real and took a off it? (sarcasm)
Seriously tho, you guys think this is all just hype or whose at fault here?
TSMC rushing production, or AMD's 7nm arch?

therealmongo

Jul 5, 2019
Not to take away from the "suffering" some people are going through with any issues they are having with their systems, but from reading around on the Internets its becoming very difficult to distinguish those who are having issues from those that are simply shilling in the AMD threads, pretending to be users with AMD CPUs, for reasons only they know of.

I noticed a pattern, where you will have say two to three people from the same country who either register new accounts or used old accounts with either no posts or one/two posts and post back to back posts about the "issues" they are having with their CPU.

Ive seen this three times and from three different countries, which I found a bit strange

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I've seen this issue with my Corsair mouse with both my 3800X and the 5800X, however since that device can be used both wired and wireless hasn't really been a issue for me. With the latest bios and me switching around what was connected to what port due to replacing a case fan I've not seen it since. I've been on x570 since Dec 2019 and no other issues.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
aigomorla, have not had one problem with my 5900x on a MSI X570 Unify and my 3900x on a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite.

I have 5900X, previously 3900X(T) on a MSI X570 Unify. Same as you, no problems with USB, but I've just recently purchased a cheap prebuilt PC based on Giga A520 board and Ryzen 4350Pro where USB 2.0 ports are virtually unusable. Hard to tell if that's board / BIOS or CPU at fault though.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
I have 5900X, previously 3900X(T) on a MSI X570 Unify. Same as you, no problems with USB, but I've just recently purchased a cheap prebuilt PC based on Giga A520 board and Ryzen 4350Pro where USB 2.0 ports are virtually unusable. Hard to tell if that's board / BIOS or CPU at fault though.

Gigabyte boards are the ones most affected by the USB issue.

Disabling C-States helps, but doesn’t eliminate the issue.

Reactions: lightmanek

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
The failure rate BS is a smear job.

The usb issue... I keep reading about it but have not experienced this. Then again I don't use usb 2.0 and the issue apparently affects usb 2.0.

Omega215A

Feb 24, 2021
Only Europe? They are virtual unobtanium in the US also, afaict. I do see them on ebay.de if you want to pay 980+ euros.

Not really. If you live in the US and are near a Microcenter there will be plenty of 5600X and 5800X CPUs. I just bought mine from a store in NY and they've had over 30 pieces in stock. I've checked other stores in the area and they have the same "25+" numbers in stock.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Not really. If you live in the US and are near a Microcenter there will be plenty of 5600X and 5800X CPUs. I just bought mine from a store in NY and they've had over 30 pieces in stock. I've checked other stores in the area and they have the same "25+" numbers in stock.
The closest Microcenter to me doesn't have any. Stories about Microcenter availability are afaict only valid for a small percentage of people. Also I looked at the 3 NY Microcenters and could not verify your claim.
I stand by my statement.

Zepp

May 18, 2019
I've just recently purchased a cheap prebuilt PC based on Giga A520 board and Ryzen 4350Pro where USB 2.0 ports are virtually unusable. Hard to tell if that's board / BIOS or CPU at fault though.
Strange. I'm on an Aorus A520(latest stable BIOS) with 4700G and I initially had USB issues only when all my peripherals were plugged into the row of USB2.0 ports together. I moved my mouse to one of the 3.0 ports and the issue disappeared. Initially Gigabyte support said a BIOS update would fix it but I havent kept up with it since my issue was 'resolved'

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
The failure rate BS is a smear job.

The usb issue... I keep reading about it but have not experienced this. Then again I don't use usb 2.0 and the issue apparently affects usb 2.0.
I've tried every port, same problem. If I attached the mouse and keyboard to my monitor USB hub, they worked fine.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
What is complete and utter failure is inability of AMD to provide 5950X in any quantity in most of Europe. Supply is so bad, that vendors have not seen any 5950x yet. Can't really comment on failure rates when you've seen zero CPUs :)

I am eyeballing amd.com direct-buy at this point .. that would mean vat + custom fees on top of that price... though the price is listed in euros ..

And amd.com do seem to have stock!

edit : well 5800 anyway, it has 5950 yesterday but no 5900 (the one i am looking for).

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
I haven't had any USB issues (both 3.0, 2.0, USB-C all work fine front panel/rear panel) with my 5600X + Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX (since the 5600X launch).

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I upgraded basically for VR only. I could only imagine the frustration if the headset kept disconnecting. Is this issue actually widespread and real? Seems kind of random.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Been running a 5600X with a B550 Gigabyte Aorus Pro on the F11d BIOS since launch. Completely rock solid stable, no USB issues either. Wonder if the USB issue has anything to do with newer BIOS/Agesa versions...I haven't seen the need to update my older BIOS, but now I'd be very hesitant.

Reactions: IEC and DAPUNISHER