Question Ryzen 3800X cpu overheating Issue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

osmium7

Dec 29, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm new to building PCs and understanding various CPU/motherboard related/technical parameters and settings.

I recently built a brand new gaming rig, after learning how to build a computer on my own, from various youtube videos and online resources.

Here are the specifications of my build:

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X (with Stock Wraith Prism Cooler with Cooler Master master-gel thermal paste applied)
Asus Tuf Gaming B450 Plus Mobo
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200Hz RAM (8x2)
Asus Tuf gaming X3 Radeon 5700X OC Edition 8 GB DDR6
Crusial P1 1 TB NVME SSD
Corsair CX750M modular power supply

It is the first rig, I've ever built and I was full of joy when I switched on the pc for the first time and it booted.

However, my joy was short-lived as I'm facing a very frustrating problem with the cpu overheating and system crashing every time I try to play my favorite games like FALLOUT 4, GTA V or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

When, I go into the BIOS settings, the motherboard shows the cpu temperature of 50-55 degrees and VDDRC voltage something like 1.4770, both of which as far as I know, are pretty high.

AMD Ryzen master shows the idle temps at 33-38d degrees.
AIDA64 : 42-49 degrees
Hwinfo64: 49-53 degrees
Hwmonitor: 42-45 degrees
OCCT: 46-50 degrees

Literally, every game I play crashes my system, sometimes after 15-20 minutes but sometimes immediately upon launching the game and the system restarts again.

Please help me. I'm very much confused and annoyed by this.

I tried wiping out stock thermal paste and applying Cooler master paste.
Uninstalled and re-installed CPU into the MoBO socket.

Also, updated MoBo BIOS, which actually worsened the problem. Now the temps are even higher (used to be 45-50 earlier on the UEFI screen before the update).

Is something wrong with my MoBo or CPU? Should I send the CPU for replacement? Or is there a fault with the motherboard?

I don't have much knowledge about under/overclocking and haven't tweaked any CPU/RAM related parameters from BIOS.

Kindly advise, what should I do now?

I can give whatever information and screenshot you may need.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@osmium7

Yup! Those are the ones. And running DX11 was generally the proper thing to do (you can try Vulkan or DX12, but you get lower scores).

I guess another missing piece of the puzzle would be the boost behavior of his 3800x. Lighter loads such as gaming will have a higher boost than stress testing all cores. Depening on uEFI settings boos beyond stability is a possibilility.

That's a good point, actually. osmium7 should try running some ST stress-tests, like y-cruncher ST or CBR20 ST.

osmium7

Dec 29, 2019
Have you tried using software to monitor the temps during stress testing and gaming? Maybe leave the side panel off to eliminate poor airflow as the culprit.

Let me know, which software would that be!
I'm swaying towards the gpu now also. Reviews don't look favorable as far as I can see. Internet diagnosis of computer stabiltiy can be mind boggling at times.

I guess another missing piece of the puzzle would be the boost behavior of his 3800x. Lighter loads such as gaming will have a higher boost than stress testing all cores. Depening on uEFI settings boos beyond stability is a possibilility.
All these tests I'm doing, are with open side panel only...I though I might have to pull out and plug in things a couple of times, so kept it open for easy access.

CHA2 looks whonky :)
:sweatsmile::sweatsmile: I know.....Some error with the motherboard 4 pin fan header, I guess....CHA2 connector always gives weird numbers, but when I plug fans to CHA3, the numbers revert to normal range....

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I had heating issues when I first got my 3900x. I've said this a few times in other threads recently, but to rule out overheating do this.
Run Prime95 on small FFTs, and monitor your temps with HWinfo64. If temps stay in the 70 range then you are good. If temp go into the 90s then you have issues.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
there are other video benchmarks like 3dmark or the Heaven benchmark.

any idea of GPU temp?

does it do it in only 1 game or others?

osmium7

Dec 29, 2019
there are other video benchmarks like 3dmark or the Heaven benchmark.

any idea of GPU temp?

does it do it in only 1 game or others?

Unigine Heaven benchmark is crashing everytime I try to run.
It shows a green screen with in 3-4 seconds of starting.

If it helps to know, every game I play also crashes with similar green screen now (It used to be a black screen, earlier).

Also, please let me know, if there is any too available to measure GPU temps.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Black screen to green screen sounds like video card RAM. Try underclocking memory -300MHz (or maybe even -500MHz) with MSI Afterburner and see if you get the same behavior.

If you don't, then your answer is your video card is defective. Even if you do, it might still be your video card.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

If it helps to know, every game I play also crashes with similar green screen now (It used to be a black screen, earlier).

you can measure GPU temps with GPU-Z.

As far as I am concerned there is something wrong with your video card. You should RMA it ASAP.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000

Afterburner monitors GPU temps:

osmium7

Dec 29, 2019
I think the problem is inside the GPU only. So, opened a support ticket to return my GPU.

Hopefully, they would still honor the return.

Didn't expect such a lousy product from a company like ASUS. I feel so cheated!

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I think the problem is inside the GPU only. So, opened a support ticket to return my GPU.

Hopefully, they would still honor the return.

Didn't expect such a lousy product from a company like ASUS. I feel so cheated!
any company can make a dud. Stuff happens.

if it's under a year old then you are covered. Some vendors offer longer warranties. Maybe for a bit extra you can upgrade the card to the Strix version? I would ask about that, too.

osmium7

Dec 29, 2019
Tried running Heaven extreme benchmark with MSI afterburner open alongside, the temperature jumps from 35 to 50 and then the green screen of crash. Even amping up the fan speed to 100% is not doing any good (makes my card sound like a loud vacuum cleaner)!!

osmium7

Dec 29, 2019
any company can make a dud. Stuff happens.

if it's under a year old then you are covered. Some vendors offer longer warranties. Maybe for a bit extra you can upgrade the card to the Strix version? I would ask about that, too.
Thanks.
I purchased the GPU before 20 days. But, will have to check if my vendor would entertain the return request.

Might keep in mind about the strix upgrade, if I eventually need to contact asus directly for the product support.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks.
I purchased the GPU before 20 days. But, will have to check if my vendor would entertain the return request.

Might keep in mind about the strix upgrade, if I eventually need to contact asus directly for the product support.
never hurts to try. the worst that could happen is they say no.

osmium7

Dec 29, 2019
never hurts to try. the worst that could happen is they say no.

Also,

Would it be better to return the GPU altogether and go for something like 2070 super or 2080 super?
This is my first GPU, and I got a pretty nasty experience with Radeon cards. Scared to try another Radeon card!

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Also,

Would it be better to return the GPU altogether and go for something like 2070 super or 2080 super?
This is my first GPU, and I got a pretty nasty experience with Radeon cards. Scared to try another Radeon card!

You can get faulty cards on the NV side also I've seen many in the 20 years I've been building computers.

That isn't a reason to be scared of anything.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Also,

this is one of those things only you can decide on.

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
Also,

This isn't an AMD problem, it's an ASUS problem. The Tuf 5700XTs aren't very highly reviewed.

The Gigabyte OC, Powercolor (Red Dragon and Red Devil), Sapphire (Pulse and whatever the other one is called) are good cards that run cool and quiet. Performance of every 5700XT is close enough that 'Quality of Life' is the best metric.

And "crashing" is not a good Quality of Life. I bought a Red Dragon because it's quiet, uses less power, and is only two slots.

If you can, return the Asus card and get a better 5700XT. My Red Dragon was only $400.

osmium7

Dec 29, 2019
This isn't an AMD problem, it's an ASUS problem. The Tuf 5700XTs aren't very highly reviewed.

The Gigabyte OC, Powercolor (Red Dragon and Red Devil), Sapphire (Pulse and whatever the other one is called) are good cards that run cool and quiet. Performance of every 5700XT is close enough that 'Quality of Life' is the best metric.

And "crashing" is not a good Quality of Life. I bought a Red Dragon because it's quiet, uses less power, and is only two slots.

If you can, return the Asus card and get a better 5700XT. My Red Dragon was only $400.
But, Asus has been flaunting these cards as their top notch products. On almost every vendor's website, they have put such tall claims like below.

Now, if a product has been "extensively" tested for 144 hours (that's 6 whole days), you wouldn't expect it to turn out to be a piece of crap, would you?Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 11.50.39 PM.pngScreenshot 2019-12-30 at 11.51.00 PM.png

Last edited:

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Also,

I would return the GPU to the merchant if it is still within return window, as that particular model has a known design defect (overheating memory chips). This is an ASUS problem rather than being specific to Radeon cards, however. Specific ASUS products are very good, and specific ASUS products like this video card are also very bad.

As far as the "validation" program, I question if they actually test each and every card, given the widespread issues reported by users on that particular model. It's got terrible reviews on Newegg.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
But, Asus has been flaunting these cards as their top notch products. On almost every vendor's website, they have put such tall claims like below.

Now, if a product has been "extensively" tested for 144 hours (that's 6 whole days), you wouldn't expect it to turn out to be a piece of crap, would you?View attachment 15080View attachment 15081
the Strix is their top end product line.

I bought a used Asus Strix RX570 4GB card. It worked flawlessly. I got it for my young nephew.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

Now, if a product has been "extensively" tested for 144 hours (that's 6 whole days), you wouldn't expect it to turn out to be a piece of crap, would you?View attachment 15080View attachment 15081

Simple question do you believe asus marketing or end user reviews?

Who do you have faith on to be more honest?

And as mentioned before its possible to get a dud.

osmium7

Dec 29, 2019
Simple question do you believe asus marketing or end user reviews?

Who do you have faith on to be more honest?

And as mentioned before its possible to get a dud.

Amazon and New Egg doesn't supply these cards at my location. And, the local vendor sites didn't have any reviews for the cards. That's the reason for the goof-up.