Solved! Ryzen 3600 safe OC values for PPT, TDC, EDC

VforV

Oct 19, 2019
Hey guys, I've tried the search function, but did not find anything specific to my question.

I just recently got a Ryzen 3600 and having PBO is something extra that my Ryzen 2600 didn't have, so I want to know for an all core OC with PBO what are safe values for PPT, TDC, EDC ? And some other settings...

I've seen people on reddit saying that you shouldn't go over 90A, while Buildzoid in his videos goes way above that for the 3600.

Also what about the other options, like: PBO scalar, cTDP limit control and package power limit?
You can see Buildzoid's settings in this video:
@11:14 HWinfo shows EDC max 126A and 123W CPU package power and
@15:21 all his Bios settings: PPT 200W, TDC 155A, EDC 155A and 200W for cTDP and PPL.

Solution
It is indeed an issue somewhere, because he has 2 long videos of OC-ing the 3600 on an MSI board (he has a B550, I have a B450 Max) and the BIOS is almost identical with mine and in both videos the entire time he uses static OC with those PBO values set to custom numbers...

You don't need to watch the entire video, just the parts I stated in my original post, but this is the dilemma for me, how is that possible...
He uses the PBO configuration to justify his choice of 1.34V for the static overclock. With PBO enabled and static overclock disabled the CPU is shown to use ~1.35V under stress. He explains why this is a good choice for a static voltage overclock right in the video you complained nobody watched.

So, to recap...

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
My suggestion would be not to bother unless its purely for fun. Play with ram timings first and then leave it. You really don't gain much.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VforV

Oct 19, 2019
My suggestion would be not to bother unless its purely for fun. Play with ram timings first and then leave it. You really don't gain much.

Thanks, but I'm not a complete noob in this, I OC-ed my Ryzen 2600 to 4.15GHz and it was worth it, it gave me better performance than stock, equal to a 2600x or more. I just don't know about these new settings which Ryzen 2600 didn't have.

Anyway, the issue is closed now, since I made the topic, I OC-ed my Ryzen 3600 to 4.4Ghz @ 1.26v. It runs stable (prime 95 testing) and cooler (8-10 degrees cooler actually) and has 5-10% better performance than stock (depending on the application/game).

I just left those values at default (PPT, TDC, EDC, etc). I guess if I tweak those too I might get a higher OC, but for me this is good enough.

The most important thing about a good and stable OC (for CPU especially) that a lot of people are missing when they say it's not a big improvement over stock is that it gives you better 1% Lows is games, even if the average does not improve much, that's what it's all about. It could mean the difference between being over 60 fps or below it and for that alone makes it worth it.

From Ryzen 2600 4.15Ghz OC to Ryzen 3600 stock I get up to about 15% better 1% Lows and with it OC-ed to 4.4Ghz I get up to 27% better 1% Lows - again depending on the game. This is just with a GTX 1080, I think I would get more with a better GPU.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
PBO is for tweaking the parameters for PB2, and as @maddogmcgee already indicated the Ryzen 3000 series has no headroom worth talking about there. People like @DrMrLordX even have the experience of enabling PBO resulting in worse performance. To me it sounds like you would prefer doing a (classic) static overclock, doing that disables the whole PB2 feature including PBO though. With a static overclock you get better all core performance at the cost of the best possible single core performance which PB2 already achieves at stock.

Edit: You could look at ClockTuner for Ryzen by 1usmus, that should be capable of getting the most out of a Ryzen 3000 series chip.
Looks like the upcoming CTR 2 will support Hybrid OC, allowing PB2 for ST and all core OC for MT.

Last edited:
Reactions: maddogmcgee

VforV

Oct 19, 2019
PBO is for tweaking the parameters for PB2, and as @maddogmcgee already indicated the Ryzen 3000 series has no headroom worth talking about there. People like @DrMrLordX even have the experience of enabling PBO resulting in worse performance. To me it sounds like you would prefer doing a (classic) static overclock, doing that disables the whole PB2 feature including PBO though. With a static overclock you get better all core performance at the cost of the best possible single core performance which PB2 already achieves at stock.
If you had seen Buildzoid's video, which I posted above (but apparently no one is watching or knowing about) you (and others) would have known that he's doing a static OC + manual PBO which let's him use those PBO functions/values to achieve a better (questionable) static OC. Those values in the PBO section let him raise the power and current over default settings.

Before watching that OC video I didn't know it's possible too, but then again Ryzen 2600 didn't have PBO so I'm excused. I didn't need to know that at that time.

What I wanted was someone more knowledgeable in those parameters to tell me how important they are and what they do for manual OC.

It's clear that I need to look for that info elsewhere. However the issue remains now just for pure knowledge since I'm happy with the 4.4Ghz OC I have now, that I achieved without changing those settings, with them at default.

VforV

Oct 19, 2019
@DrMrLordX maybe able to chime in as he focuses on static overclock on Ryzen 3000.
I only need info on the PPT, TDC, EDC PBO scalar, cTDP limit control and package power limit. More specific how they can help manual OC, like it's done in the video, not separate.

With no manual OC and just PBO turned on for my chip does nothing compared to stock, so it's useless that way for me.

Otherwise I've already got my OC and I'm satisfied with it.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Maybe have some patience and wait a little. You put very specific questions out there and I tagged somebody who may be able to help you. Not everybody reads and watches your stuff and also bothers to answer you in an instant.

VforV

Oct 19, 2019
Maybe have some patience and wait a little. You put very specific questions out there and I tagged somebody who may be able to help you. Not everybody reads and watches your stuff and also bothers to answer you in an instant.
I do have patience since this is not an issue for me anymore... I'm sorry if I appeared to be the opposite.
I would have been impatient if the OC went unsuccessful, that I confess, but it's not the case.

therealmongo

Jul 5, 2019
I only need info on the PPT, TDC, EDC PBO scalar, cTDP limit control and package power limit. More specific how they can help manual OC, like it's done in the video, not separate.

With no manual OC and just PBO turned on for my chip does nothing compared to stock, so it's useless that way for me.

Otherwise I've already got my OC and I'm satisfied with it.
Sorry, but there is a misunderstanding somewhere .....!

I have not watched the video....and I am fully aware of who Buildzoid is.

When you use a static overclock than non of those values you are asking about PPT/TDC/EDC effect your overclock, they are defunct.

As @moinmoin as correctly stated, those values are only taken into account when NOT using a static overclock.

Many peeps, including myself, took advantage of the "EDC bug" where you can gain extra performance by setting EDC a low value (I used EDC@2 when I had a 3600).

Here is some stuff I did regarding the "EDC bug"

Seeing you have a stable all core overclock than you may as well keep, the only thing PBO may give you is lower temps with higher single threaded boost frequencies, but you need to spend time tweaking it.

Reactions: coercitiv

VforV

Oct 19, 2019
Sorry, but there is a misunderstanding somewhere .....!

I have not watched the video....and I am fully aware of who Buildzoid is.

When you use a static overclock than non of those values you are asking about PPT/TDC/EDC effect your overclock, they are defunct.

As @moinmoin as correctly stated, those values are only taken into account when NOT using a static overclock.

Many peeps, including myself, took advantage of the "EDC bug" where you can gain extra performance by setting EDC a low value (I used EDC@2 when I had a 3600).

Here is some stuff I did regarding the "EDC bug"

Seeing you have a stable all core overclock than you may as well keep, the only thing PBO may give you is lower temps with higher single threaded boost frequencies, but you need to spend time tweaking it.
It is indeed an issue somewhere, because he has 2 long videos of OC-ing the 3600 on an MSI board (he has a B550, I have a B450 Max) and the BIOS is almost identical with mine and in both videos the entire time he uses static OC with those PBO values set to custom numbers...

You don't need to watch the entire video, just the parts I stated in my original post, but this is the dilemma for me, how is that possible...

therealmongo

Jul 5, 2019

Its not possible.

PBO values are null/void/defunct when you use manual overclock.

Its up to you to choose to believe this or not.

All the best...

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014

He uses the PBO configuration to justify his choice of 1.34V for the static overclock. With PBO enabled and static overclock disabled the CPU is shown to use ~1.35V under stress. He explains why this is a good choice for a static voltage overclock right in the video you complained nobody watched.

So, to recap:
  • at the start of the video he has a 4.3Ghz static overclock configured, and a PBO custom configuration that is inherently disabled
  • he disables static overclock, which automatically enables the custom PBO settings
  • he showcases auto voltage configuration while PBO is active to justify his static oc voltage configuration
  • at the end the static oc is enabled again, which disables PBO settings not matter their current value

Reactions: Elfear and VforV
Solution

VforV

Oct 19, 2019

So, to recap:
  • at the start of the video he has a 4.3Ghz static overclock configured, and a PBO custom configuration that is inherently disabled
  • he disables static overclock, which automatically enables the custom PBO settings
  • he showcases auto voltage configuration while PBO is active to justify his static oc voltage configuration
  • at the end the static oc is enabled again, which disables PBO settings not matter their current value
Thank you! The last part, that's where my misunderstanding was, I thought that if you let the custom PBO settings enabled with the static OC they work together. I did not see him turn off PBO and turn those values off to auto, so there was the issue, they were still there, but the system does not use them.

Thanks again for explaining.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I did not see him turn off PBO and turn those values off to auto
He doesn't turn off PBO, that's the catch, the system automatically turns it off the moment he changes CPU core ratio from Auto to manual. This is the reason he doesn't bother changing any PBO setting.

Reactions: VforV