Discussion Ryzen 3000 series benchmark thread ** Open **

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
On Amazon AMD is #1, 2 and 3 in best sellers and has 7 of the top 10. I don't think I've ever seen that before.
It was like that during the Intel chip shortage too, then it began to get a bit more balanced after Intel managed to get supply under control.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Yeah, I snagged a whole bunch of R5 1600 CPUs, and open-box/refurb ATX mobos, for "budget" (LOL) builds. (*)

(*) If you can consider an originally $230 6C/12T CPU to now be a "budget" CPU. :)

My how far we have come in only 3 years. Imagine where we would be if AMD hadn't been starved due to Intel's illegal tactics.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
My how far we have come in only 3 years. Imagine where we would be if AMD hadn't been starved due to Intel's illegal tactics.

In exactly the same place.

AMD sold all the CPU's they could get manufactured during this period and were supply constrained.

Shortly after Conroe came out, AMD was picked up by Dell and despite now being far less attractive an option due to Conroe, couldn't adequately supply their regular retail channels, due to giving Dell first bite of the cherry.

How on Earth could they have done any better when the K8 was the undisputed King?

People need to stop telling themselves this comforting lie that AMD would have been great, if not for nasty Intel doing the dirty on them.

Jan 15, 2017

AMD sold all the CPU's they could get manufactured during this period and were supply constrained.

Shortly after Conroe came out, AMD was picked up by Dell and despite now being far less attractive an option due to Conroe, couldn't adequately supply their regular retail channels, due to giving Dell first bite of the cherry.

How on Earth could they have done any better when the K8 was the undisputed King?

People need to stop telling themselves this comforting lie that AMD would have been great, if not for nasty Intel doing the dirty on them.

The problem was not some DIY builders. The problem was lucrative server side where with less products one gets more money coming in. It's just fanboyism to tell yourself that Intel's doings did not harm AMD.

Remember, most of the parts that went to retail could have been diverted for more money in server space.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
The problem was not some DIY builders. The problem was lucrative server side where with less products one gets more money coming in. It's just fanboyism to tell yourself that Intel's doings did not harm AMD.

Remember, most of the parts that went to retail could have been diverted for more money in server space.

If this was the case, why didn't companies beat down HP's door to get some of that AMD server goodness?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

I actually enjoyed the Athlon / Athlon XP era a lot more than the Athlon 64 / X2 era.

Prices were awesome during AXP, and lower models could OC to insane levels, then Athlon 64, especially when they went to X2, they went completely flagship on pricing. I actually built a few Intel Pentium Ds purely for value, lol. Cheapest X2 was $300 for the 3800 x2, while 805 Ds I could score for about $120, and OC them between 3.8 and 4.1Ghz. X2s would run better after also OCing, but at 3.8+ the 805 was faster than a stock 3800 X2. IIRC, the Zalman 9500 was my go-to for those, because it was pretty cheap and tamed the PDs down into the 60s @ load.

And both Intel and AMD were only too happy to throw $1000 CPUs at us with little to no real value or common sense.

Reactions: CHADBOGA
Jan 15, 2017
If this was the case, why didn't companies beat down HP's door to get some of that AMD server goodness?

Companies even at that time bought platforms, not some certain cpu's. If it was not offered, it was not bought.

End of my participation in this issue.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
the power is very variable based on site
power is very variable because components and firmware make it so.

In the case of reviews made on Asus boards it's already been discussed that power numbers should be taken with a grain of salt, as original BIOS delivered to reviewers was faulty (tricked the CPU into believing it was using less power).

I am really tired of that power crap around the web
It's the nature of the beast - reviewers get different hardware to test on, firmware updates come in at the last minute etc.

I think the best place to start with expectations on power consumption should be with the power constraints AMD themselves imposed. They are outlined in the Anandtech review:

Screenshot_2019-07-09 The AMD 3rd Gen Ryzen Deep Dive Review 3700X and 3900X Raising The Bar.png

Reactions: DarthKyrie

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
That s not the thread but let say that HP had to decline 100K chips offered for free by AMD to launch sales rapidly, it tells you the grip that Intel had over OEMs.

Or that the notion that no one ever got sacked for buying IBM Intel servers, meant that business IT Department decision makers, are very conservative and take longer to be won over, before jumping ship.

Reactions: Space Tyrant

exquisitechar

Apr 18, 2017
Andrei Frumusanu says that the IPC increase in Spec 2017 is 15%. Very nice - before launch some people were arguing with me how AMD was inflating the IPC increase by using Spec *int* 2006, by pointing at ARM IPC increases being bigger in Spec 2006 than in 2017...

Reactions: lightmanek

birdie

Jan 12, 2019

The X570 chipset power consumption.

It's not good, very not good. At idle ~ 8W.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Bad for SFF builds. For those of us who idle at 120-140W total system power from the wall it is meaningless.

Also, love the heatsink he put on that thing.

Reactions: maddogmcgee

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
No surprises there, if you're gaming at 1080p you probably have a budget. All of those make a lot more sense budget-wise than a 9900K outside of extreme corner cases like X-Plane. Because you then have literally double or more $ in your budget for your GPU, which makes the biggest difference in FPS.

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
https://www.techspot.com/review/1871-amd-ryzen-3600/
3600 review
man how I love this CPU
equal to 8700K or non K, doesnt matter when not oced but for 200EUR instead of 300
power on the 6C parts seem to be less different, 3600 is lower than 8700K but not that much to be considered as important

the only negatives are non existent overclock

for people aware of their OEE on desktop this is THE choice

this one deserves a medal, exactly like the 8700K 1,5 years before it

Reactions: lightmanek

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
But you dont have "a logical reason to be disapointed".

Yes, I personally do. I have no upgrade path here especially since I don't do any work on my computer besides play games. Like I said, the CPUs are great but those of us with a 9900k already don't have anything to upgrade to if all we do is game.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018

The BF5 numbers look great, i had picked my 8700 non k some time ago for the max 1080p results but that 3600 gives it a nice run for the money. Assuming boards get cheaper soon,i can see the 3600 being the new $200 favorite. The 3600 simply shines. It should be the default $200 choice period if a game is heavily threaded.