Question Ryzen 2600 vs 3400G

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
Was planning on a 2600 with an RX590, but would prefer a 1660. Is dropping to a 3400G and upping GPU more viable?
And on a technical level, the 3400G is an APU. Does the graphics share cores with the CPU part or is it separate cores?
Or should I go with a 1600X and better gpu?

everything else is planned out, just this nagging dilemma.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Was planning on a 2600 with an RX590, but would prefer a 1660. Is dropping to a 3400G and upping GPU more viable?
And on a technical level, the 3400G is an APU. Does the graphics share cores with the CPU part or is it separate cores?
Or should I go with a 1600X and better gpu?

everything else is planned out, just this nagging dilemma.

I wouldn't recommend the 1600X or RX 590. I guess the 2600 + 1660 isn't an option?

The 3400G is a 4C/8T Zen+ CPU with graphics as well. CPU shares memory bandwidth with the GPU part of it, if it is being used. Since you would have a dGPU, you would not be sharing any resources.

Are you in the US? The 2600 is cheaper on Amazon then the 3400G. I'd go with a 2600 and an RX 580 or 1660 if you can fit that in your budget.

Just looked at 580 prices, have they gone up? Thought they were cheaper. If you're OK with ebay, they are selling for $80-120 for the most part. I'd suggest that route.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Agree with above post.

I think I've seen the 2600 around $100 at places like Newegg's EBay store.

If you don't need or plan to use the integrated graphics on one of AMD's APU lineup, going with a full CPU like the 2600 is a no-brainer, IMO.

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
Ok, stick with the 2600. But why the 580 over 590? I’d prefer a 1660(I like nvidia products better) but I’m trying to keep it under $900.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Ok, stick with the 2600. But why the 580 over 590? I’d prefer a 1660(I like nvidia products better) but I’m trying to keep it under $900.

It wasn't received very well because of it's price, but that may have changed. Also, it adds some performance, but also uses a good bit more power. What do you need to purchase for under $900? Clearly more than a CPU and GPU. Let us know what you need within that $900 amount, and maybe we can make some better suggestions.

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
PCPartPicker Build List

Trying to get as much as possible out of it to begin with but for as little as I can and still get quality parts. That case is now my 2nd choice as the new LianLi LanCool 2 has been reviewed and is on a pre-order status for $90 at Newegg, it looks amazing and great features that will make it an awesome option for future reuse.
I picked the mobo based on features, ARGB options and it just looks better aesthetically than other options(I’m looking at you Gigabyte and MSI) and has the feature set for the least cost. RAM is chosen on everyone saying the sweet spot on Ryzens starts at 3000mhz, Team seems to be very reliable and it will fit the aesthetics, again for best price. NVME is solely because I want 500GB(at least), WD has always been good to me, reviews are good and it prices well. The SSD is again Team purely based on price/size ratio. The PSU is becoming a contentious point, I like the reviews on the Bitfenix Whisper series, it’s a good price, but apparently everyone else thinks so too as I can’t find anything available under the 750w on the list, really only need about 550 or 650. The vertical GPU Kit is purely a “how awesome is that! I can mount it vertically and worry about it sagging or whatever “. I don’t have to get that with the main build parts. The RX590 is because it’s 8GB, cheaper than a 1660( and the Super variant), and that one would look good sitting vertical.

Sorry for the wall of text, wanted to explain my rationale for what’s on the list

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
PCPartPicker Build List

Trying to get as much as possible out of it to begin with but for as little as I can and still get quality parts. That case is now my 2nd choice as the new LianLi LanCool 2 has been reviewed and is on a pre-order status for $90 at Newegg, it looks amazing and great features that will make it an awesome option for future reuse.
I picked the mobo based on features, ARGB options and it just looks better aesthetically than other options(I’m looking at you Gigabyte and MSI) and has the feature set for the least cost. RAM is chosen on everyone saying the sweet spot on Ryzens starts at 3000mhz, Team seems to be very reliable and it will fit the aesthetics, again for best price. NVME is solely because I want 500GB(at least), WD has always been good to me, reviews are good and it prices well. The SSD is again Team purely based on price/size ratio. The PSU is becoming a contentious point, I like the reviews on the Bitfenix Whisper series, it’s a good price, but apparently everyone else thinks so too as I can’t find anything available under the 750w on the list, really only need about 550 or 650. The vertical GPU Kit is purely a “how awesome is that! I can mount it vertically and worry about it sagging or whatever “. I don’t have to get that with the main build parts. The RX590 is because it’s 8GB, cheaper than a 1660( and the Super variant), and that one would look good sitting vertical.

Sorry for the wall of text, wanted to explain my rationale for what’s on the list

Few things. I'd say for Zen(+), 3200MHz is the sweet spot for memory. With Zen 2, that moves up to 3600/3733. For the PSU you are way over the wattage you need, though the price is good. Never heard of the brand though. I like Seasonic. I got a 650W Seasonic Gold fully modular for $90 from Amazon earlier this year. Looks like the prices have increased, as now you only get the 550W for that price. Still plenty for what you are putting together though. They also have a 10 year warranty, vs seven it looks like for the one you have in that list.

I think with a little digging you could find a good PSU for $90 or so, freeing up about $20. WD is a great brand but for SSD's Samsung is even better, and they have a 500GB 970 EVO for nearly $10 less. Probably better performance, too. That should give you a little more room to go for a 1660 if that is what you really want.

As far as memory, If bling is your thing, keep what you've got. Team has 3200MHz RAM at $60, but the white sticks will cost you an extra $10.

Pretty sure I gave you a wall of text this time lol. Let me (us) know what you think, and maybe we can put something together.

EDIT

Just thought of another thing. You won't need a thermal compound unless you want to save a few degrees C. However, the 2600 comes with the Wraith Stealth, which is, not great. I'd suggest either a cheap aftermarket cooler (Coolermaster 212), or get the 2600X for about $25 more which comes with the Wraith Spire. That is more serviceable HSF by far. The 2600X would also benefit from higher base/boost clocks.

Last edited:

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
Few things. I'd say for Zen(+), 3200MHz is the sweet spot for memory. With Zen 2, that moves up to 3600/3733. For the PSU you are way over the wattage you need, though the price is good. Never heard of the brand though. I like Seasonic. I got a 650W Seasonic Gold fully modular for $90 from Amazon earlier this year. Looks like the prices have increased, as now you only get the 550W for that price. Still plenty for what you are putting together though. They also have a 10 year warranty, vs seven it looks like for the one you have in that list.

I think with a little digging you could find a good PSU for $90 or so, freeing up about $20. WD is a great brand but for SSD's Samsung is even better, and they have a 500GB 970 EVO for nearly $10 less. Probably better performance, too. That should give you a little more room to go for a 1660 if that is what you really want.

As far as memory, If bling is your thing, keep what you've got. Team has 3200MHz RAM at $60, but the white sticks will cost you an extra $10.

Pretty sure I gave you a wall of text this time lol. Let me (us) know what you think, and maybe we can put something together.

EDIT

Just thought of another thing. You won't need a thermal compound unless you want to save a few degrees C. However, the 2600 comes with the Wraith Stealth, which is, not great. I'd suggest either a cheap aftermarket cooler (Coolermaster 212), or get the 2600X for about $25 more which comes with the Wraith Spire. That is more serviceable HSF by far. The 2600X would also benefit from higher base/boost clocks.

Bitfenix has been around a while in the market. They popped up on several psu reviews and were liked to stability, efficiency and silence. I know the one on the list is overkill, but it’s all I can find available. The 550w runs about $20 cheaper. Samsung for the SSd .... (sigh). Everyone uses Samsung. I have a Samsung currently and it blows chunks. I paid up for it and am disappointed. I’ll stick with WD on this one.

thor23

Jul 13, 2019
You could roll the dice and get a 1600 and hopefully it'll be a 2600. A lot of the newer 1600's are actually 2600's so overclock to a similar level.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Didn’t intel have this happen many years ago with a pentium?
ignore Thor's post. He doesn't know what he is talking about.

I scored a brand new Corsair TX 550M PSU from Amazon for less than $90 CDN. I picked up a used (former mining) Asus Strix RX 570 4GB for $100 CDN. The case is a Fractal Design Focus G Mini I bought on sale locally. This is a build for my nephew.

Looking for good used parts can save you plenty of money for other things.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Looking for good used parts can save you plenty of money for other things.
Amen!

I have a tendency to buy refurb PC hardware (except for PSUs and HDDs!) for just that reason. Though, I really try to do "factory refurb". (I've bought factory refurb SSDs and WD HDDs, that showed zero POH, so I think that they were new-old-stock, being sold as refurb, which happens sometimes. They do that so that they can sell old or "RMA reserve" stock, without having to offer a "new product" warranty on them.)

I had a recent semi-bad experience with an Acer 1440P IPS 25" or 27" monitor that I picked up off of ebay, it was NOT "factory" refurbed, but "our 3rd-party techs tested these to be good". Well, when I got it, it had lines running down the screen. I was going to return/exchange it (they offered 30-day returns, to their credit), but then, mysteriously, the lines went away, after the monitor was leaning on another monitor at an angle for a period of maybe a week. Then I knock the monitor off onto the floor off of the top of the PC it was on with my chair, and the lines returned. Then I ended up knocking it off again, and the lines went away!

So, obviously, there are some issues with the screen. Maybe a cold solder joint, maybe a bad cap, loose cable, whatever. I can't seem to figure out how to get into the monitor, otherwise I'd attempt to fix it myself.

But it was only $100, compared to like $250 new.

OTOH, buying "new" is no guarantee of proper functionality.

I recently bought some "CableMatters" RealTek-chipset USB3.0 Type-A 2.5GbE-T dongles, for a decent price, brand-new off of Amazon. (See my thread in Hot Deals for link).

Been having issues with it disconnecting, as I have with some other ones too. It might be my system, my PSU is slightly suspect, so is my Ryzen SoC USB 3.x support, because I let my CPU "cook" at 117C (according to Ryzen Master) for a few hours. (Might have damaged my SoC/CPU.)

Or maybe, it's just the length of the USB3.0 shielded extension cables that I'm using?

Could be a multitude of things, and unrelated to the actual 2.5GbE dongle, maybe.

Conversely, pretty-much all of my routers are refurb (mostly factory refurb), and they work well. They tend to work for years, in my experience buying refurb routers for nearly 20+ years. (Once, I had a bad power adapter for an AC68U/R/1900 purchased from Newegg as a refurb. $20 and a trip to ebay fixed that.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and Arkaign

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

there were even 8 core 1600's. They have the same clocks as a 1600 but with the ipc of a zen+. Of course they overclock just as well as a 2600, well above what a 1600 can achieve overclocked.

btw a 1600x doesn't come with a heatsink, and I think a 1600>3400.
those are mislabelled cpu's or mistakes during production. From what I have read they don't OC much at all. They are not Zen+.

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
If anyone has seen the post in the PSU section, could y’all give me a recommendation on one? I’ve had a Corsair in my last two builds but they are pricy now.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
PCPartPicker Build List

I recommend skipping the Intel 660p drive. They tested them extensively, slower than the Samsung equivalent Evos (and the Pros are even better). ADATA XPG are fairly good as well.
I know there's a lot of desire for 80+ gold, but you'd probably be just fine with any recent major-brand, good line of PSU, like the Corsair CXM. While most 80+ gold are good units, and some 80+ bronze units are duds, Corsair's CXM series is solid and will save you $20. The Bitfenix Whisper is great if you can get it for a decent price.
Otherwise seems pretty good.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Not a bad board, but I would possibly get a B550 instead and a Zen 3 chip when they are out. Stick with what you have for now, when we are so close to Zen 3 launch.

• Love
Reactions: RobertL_08

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Not a bad board, but I would possibly get a B550 instead and a Zen 3 chip when they are out. Stick with what you have for now, when we are so close to Zen 3 launch.
Yeah at this point when the indicaton is that b450 is likely to not get good support for Zen3, its better to wait and get the newer chipset.