Ryzen 1600 versus i5 7600k

xaeniac

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
a decision was already made in that thread. Unfortunately, upon reassembly my system is kaput with both the i3 and i7. If a new power supply does not fix it, then i will be looking at a full upgrade.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I made the same choice and went with 1600 and am happy. Why?

I use lightroom/ photoshop a LOT and its very much faster during video and photo exports.

Also I play mmorpg's where I am quite often running an entire group of 6 chars by myself so I needed atleast 6 cores.

Could I do that with intel? Yes but it started to lag after 4 clients due to quad core earlier.

Am I happy with my upgrade/ sidegrade? Yes.

Your mileage and needs may vary. It's all about how you're going to use it and no one can answer that but you. You need single core performance or multiple cores.

Power consumption wise I'm quite surprised the Ryzen scales awesomely. Outside of benchmarks (where I've hit 91 watts), I've never hit 51 watts and that's exactly the same I used to get with Intel earlier.

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
I made the same choice and went with 1600 and am happy. Why?

I use lightroom/ photoshop a LOT and its very much faster during video and photo exports.

Also I play mmorpg's where I am quite often running an entire group of 6 chars by myself so I needed atleast 6 cores.

Could I do that with intel? Yes but it started to lag after 4 clients due to quad core earlier.

Am I happy with my upgrade/ sidegrade? Yes.

Your mileage and needs may vary. It's all about how you're going to use it and no one can answer that but you. You need single core performance or multiple cores.

Power consumption wise I'm quite surprised the Ryzen scales awesomely. Outside of benchmarks (where I've hit 91 watts), I've never hit 51 watts and that's exactly the same I used to get with Intel earlier.

Found the eve player.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, I'm the happy owner of a (few) Ryzen 5 1600 CPUs. My current one overclocked to 3.70Ghz stable at 1.2875V, but gets up to 110-115W Package Power sometimes. Cooling is a MasterLiquid Lite 120, which was the cheapest water-cooler I could find. It hovers around 70-75C Package Temp, while under a load of 10-11 PrimeGrid threads.

Reactions: Gikaseixas

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If I was doing a new build today I'd be leaning heavily towards Ryzen. With little to no R&D budget AMD looks to have made a very compelling product.

Reactions: Sable