RX series undervolt. How much have you undervolted it ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Bringing this thread back again, couldn't we achieve the same by just lowering the power limit?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Bringing this thread back again, couldn't we achieve the same by just lowering the power limit?

No, the power limit works differently. Power limit limits the current consumption. When the card hits the power limit, it will down clock to stay within the set power limit.

Lower the core voltage allows for the same clocks, but uses less current. So under volting will give you the same lower power usage as setting the power limit, but also give you the same, and in some cases better performance than the stock setup without a power limit.

Reactions: ao_ika_red

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Ok thanks, now I need to figure out what to use for stability testing. I run Folding@home on the GPU so stability is important. Any suggestions?
Are their any stability testing programs which report errors & don't unrealistically load the GPU? (I would tell you how much F@H loads the GPU but it's just finished a work unit!).

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
On my RX570 i use 1340mhz@1062mv. I could try to push it futher to either way but this works fine so no need. Compared to stock im running higher freq at lower vcore.

Reactions: Assimilator1

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Ok thanks, now I need to figure out what to use for stability testing. I run Folding@home on the GPU so stability is important. Any suggestions?
Are their any stability testing programs which report errors & don't unrealistically load the GPU? (I would tell you how much F@H loads the GPU but it's just finished a work unit!).
Download 1 day worth of Einstein and milkyway WUs and then check their results. If the error results are low, consider it as a success.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Good point!
And certainly MW@H WUs will be much shorter times than F@H. And I guess the WU times for E@H is much lower too?

Ref my earlier pondering of F@H GPU power draw on my RX 580 (at stock), GPU-Z is showing an average GPU chip power draw of ~107w over the past 5 mins (was only 5% left to run!) of this current WU (project 11777). Although the 1st 5% of the next WU (11779) is averaging ~114w

So what's going to give me my best bang for my buck? Drop the GPU down by 50 MHz & see what voltage it needs?

[update] Over several WUs of MW@H (they only take ~1.5 minutes), av GPU chip power draw is ~109w (still at stock settings atm). GPU temp 71-72C, ambient 22-23C.
System wall draw (also running LHC/R@H 3/7) ~285w.

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Ref Heaven, I see the free version doesn't include reporting, how do you know when errors occur with that one? Do you just look for artefacts?

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Good point!
And certainly MW@H WUs will be much shorter times than F@H. And I guess the WU times for E@H is much lower too?

Ref my earlier pondering of F@H GPU power draw on my RX 580 (at stock), GPU-Z is showing an average GPU chip power draw of ~107w over the past 5 mins (was only 5% left to run!) of this current WU (project 11777). Although the 1st 5% of the next WU (11779) is averaging ~114w

So what's going to give me my best bang for my buck? Drop the GPU down by 50 MHz & see what voltage it needs?

[update] Over several WUs of MW@H (they only take ~1.5 minutes), av GPU chip power draw is ~109w (still at stock settings atm).
Until Navi openCL driver is totally overhauled, I believe Polaris is still best all-round DC card out there. Of course, for double precision heavy projects, like mw@h, einstein, and moo!, Polaris has advantage than similarly priced nvidia card. Even post 2019 folding also utilises it more by looking at its increased PPD and power consumption.

My starting point suggestion is 1300MHz core clock and 1000mV Vcore. If you can get it stable, you can either undervolt or overclock further. From my experience, the most efficient clock is between 1200-1250MHz, beyond that, it will ask more power for marginal performance benefit. But, I think I'm lucky with my card because even at 1300MHz I can still downvolt it further down to 960mV and offset increased power consumption.

Fo DC'ing don't mess with GPU memory setup. Left it at stock.

Between mw@h, f@h, and einstein, the most power hungry project is einstein. It consumes between 85-95W (core only) in my current setup (RX570, 1300MHz, 960mV). F@h usually floats around 70-90W (core only).

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Nice one, cheers mate :).
I've just run some at stock to make sure it's good to start with (43 validated, 0 errors), going to experiment with lower voltage in a sec.

[edit] Dropped to 1050 mV with stock 1350 MHz, system draw is down to ~259w! (same loads as previous post) Av GPU chip power draw 88w! GPU temp ~64C! :) (ambient ~23C).
I'm amazed how much difference that makes!:openmouth:

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Good stuff. I wish this info was known by every Polaris owner. I've personally yet to encounter an example that couldn't see improvements from attention to the voltage and clocks. Sometimes a quite dramatic difference!

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Honestly I think AMD should have tweaked the voltage settings once yields and such were good. Even a brand new Polaris still has the sky high voltage settings. Its a really great chip once the voltage is set where it should be. Its faster, the power usage is good, and in turn, is quieter.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Yea agreed, if it was me I would have sold it as a revised card & given it a simple rename, something like RX 580e (astounding name I know ;)), with lower voltage & still @ 1350 MHz.

Although that said, we haven't tested hundreds or even dozens of cards on dozens of games.
But at least it's still good on our own cards (or at least hopefully it is on mine, not given it a day on MW@H yet, nor tried it on F@H & games).

Last edited:

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Nice one, cheers mate :).
I've just run some at stock to make sure it's good to start with (43 validated, 0 errors), going to experiment with lower voltage in a sec.

[edit] Dropped to 1050 mV with stock 1350 MHz, system draw is down to ~259w! (same loads as previous post) Av GPU chip power draw 88w! GPU temp ~64C! :) (ambient ~23C).
I'm amazed how much difference that makes!:openmouth:
:beermug::beermug::beermug:
From my experience with manual GPU fan control using Speedfan, I can cool it down to around 60°C with GPU fan speed controlled between 15-20%. My day ambient temperature is 33°C.
Honestly I think AMD should have tweaked the voltage settings once yields and such were good. Even a brand new Polaris still has the sky high voltage settings. Its a really great chip once the voltage is set where it should be. Its faster, the power usage is good, and in turn, is quieter.
AMD couldn't afford very strict binning back then (when 480 was released, it's more awful than 580) partly because GF 14nm yield wasn't quite good and partly because nvidia had shocking stock core clock (core clock jump from Maxwell to Pascal was pretty massive). That's why AMD pushed Polaris far beyond its efficient curve.

There's one special card from Polaris family which enjoy better binning in the form of RX560 16CU 75w (no 6-pin PEG connector). It's stock boost clock is around 1220 to 1250MHz and stock VCore is around 1100mV. It's released almost a year after RX560 released.
Yea agreed, if it was me I would have sold it as a revised card & given it a simple rename, something like RX 580e (astounding name I know ;)), with lower voltage still @ 1350 MHz.
Try RX 585 XTL, because AMD loves confusing name.

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Lol, yea, although you'd need higher clocks again to justify that name ;).

I had to stop the 1 day MW@H test ~1/2 way through as I realised the F@H WU I had on pause was going to timeout (although not expireo_O), anyway it finished off the last 2/3 of it without error. I've restarted MW now.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Lol, yea, although you'd need higher clocks again to justify that name ;).

I had to stop the 1 day MW@H test ~1/2 way through as I realised the F@H WU I had on pause was going to timeout (although not expireo_O), anyway it finished off the last 2/3 of it without error. I've restarted MW now.
Never pause F@h WU. Your bonus PPD will plummet the second you pause it.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Really? Damn! :(, well I have to for gaming, or would I be better off closing the client?

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I can't wait when I'm about to play a game can I? ;)
Guess I'll just have to lose points then :(, it's a pretty stupid system if pausing it for just 1-2hrs looses you loads of points, and that's the case even if it's finished within the time out deadline? The folding@home FAQ indicates not possibly?

Last edited:

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
I can't wait when I'm about to play a game can I? ;)
Guess I'll just have to lose points then :(, it's a pretty stupid system if pausing it for just 1-2hrs looses you loads of points, and that's the case even if it's finished within the time out deadline? The folding@home FAQ indicates not possibly?
This FAQ will answer all your question regarding F@h Quick Return Bonus calculation.

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Stumbled onto this thread and decided to overclock and undervolt my ASUS RX 570 4GB Strix OC. Currently have the GPU running 1400MHz @ 1100mV, and the GDDR5 running at 1900MHz @ 900mV. Can probably go a bit lower but not going to push the issue for now. Didn't want to risk a corrupted Folding@Home WU that was near completion. Going to try 1080mV on the GPU now.

The best part is I lowered the fan speed down from over 1600RPM to 1300RPM. Amazing what a 300RPM difference makes in terms of noise!

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
To those who live in warmer climate, that helps a lot. Since Polaris era, I don't underclock anymore, instead just undervolt it as low as possible while retaining its stability.

Before undervolting, my card ran @ 75°C with 60% fan under stress. After undervolting, now it can do 60°C with 40% fan on certain project, and sometimes it needs 50% fan to achieve same temperature in other projects.
Lol before i undervolted my rx580 it used to go to 90C and shut down the PC...I'm not quite sure what the temps are now but my state 7 is at 1060 mV and I can confirm it doesn't shut down anymore and my top temperature is 80C.it doesn't go past that.Although my fans go past 2000RPM and it sounds like a jet engine,I don't really mind it because it doesn't get through my headphones...would be really nice to have my fans be silent since everyone is saying that the xfx GTS xxx black edition i bought is dead silent even at peak temps....