Rx 570 installation issue

1988cnl

Mar 28, 2020
Hello guys and girls.
I have an ASUS rx 570 Expedition, just bought from Amazon Warehouse, for very cheap, classed as 'used'.

Long story short after much experimentation, I put it in, and it didn't show anything. I have seen a few people post about BIOS/Legacy/UEFI, so I went down that avenue eventually.

If I leave this option at its previous value of choosing Legacy BIOS as the first option, my PC boots, with no output to the monitor and no activity on the card itself. The card gets gradually hot, but the fans are off, they spin for 5 seconds then they stop so I feel like the card is asleep. However, I know the PC actually boots, as it beeps on startup, then I hear the Windows jingle through my speakers afterwards.

If I put the UEFI Bios priority option, then my PC does not boot. There is no beep, and there is no Windows jingle. However, the card fans are running the entire time! I don't know if that is better or worse in this case.

My current PC is P8p67LE (yep, old), i5 3400, 12gb ddr3 ram, and up til now have used the r9 270X from Sapphire, with no issues, for about 5 years. Corsair 430W PSU.

I believe I have the newest BIOS version. I have cleared the BIOS and the results are the same with legacy/uefi.

If I absolutely have to, I will upgrade my motherboard and CPU, I just had no intention to spend that extra money what with the coronavirus shutdown and all.

Thanks for your help and I hope everyone is looking after themselves and their families in these strange times.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Well, just checking, did you plug in the required power connectors on the RX 570? Also, did you make sure the monitor was plugged into the RX 570 and not the onboard graphics? Other than these too things, it may be a bad card, or maybe the PSU is not supplying enough power.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
maybe it's not detecting the new card due to the BIOS being set to onboard only. Set it to auto or something and it may work.

or the card is dead.

1988cnl

Mar 28, 2020
Hey guys! thanks for the replies.
The power is plugged in, yes, it has the little white light on indicating it has enough power.
I don't have onboard graphics, so no issue plugging it into the wrong place.
The previous card is a r9 270x which from what I have read uses more power than a rx570 so I don't think its that. Also, as a Corsair 430w, I thought it would be good enough.
If I set the bios to auto, it reverts to the Legacy which doesn't show anything.
My fear was that the card is DOA.

As it happens, the PCI E slot I had plugged my old card into was the one limited to pci 4x, and actually set in the bios at 2x. The rx570 was too big to go in that slot, so I put it in the other one (still didn't work). However, I then looked up the difference somehow, and found that the unused slot was set to maximum speed (pci 16x) and now the games I was struggling with before (Doom Eternal, basically) run like an absolute dream and I don't need the card upgrade any more!

It should be noted that the card was a 'used - good' bargain from Amazon Warehouse, so I think I would have a decent case of sending it back and getting a full refund as a dead card.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
CLR_CMOS

Boot in Safe Mode (might be difficult to get to in Windows 10, might have to intentionally "crash the system" three times, to get to auto-recovery mode), then un-install current drivers, then reboot into regular mode, should get display, and then allow Win10 to install drivers for it over the internet, or manually download and install the newest AMD drivers.

The RX 570 requires newer drivers than the R9 270X does. Just swapping the cards physically may not be "good enough".

1988cnl

Mar 28, 2020
Hey, thanks for the reply. I tried to clear cmos, didn't make any difference.
I couldn't get any output on the screen for any configuration.
I have the latest drivers for my current card, I imagine its not too far off the rx580's latest. However, I get no output from the second the computer starts, not just windows. Would the drivers have any effect on the boot screen?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
However, I get no output from the second the computer starts, not just windows. Would the drivers have any effect on the boot screen?
No, they wouldn't. Which output are you using, and is the monitor turned on? Try using the HDMI, or DVI, if it has one. If still no output, return the card.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I think you have to change more than just the bios setting to switch between legacy bios and uefi. The boot drive needs to have changes made to it.

1988cnl

Mar 28, 2020
No, they wouldn't. Which output are you using, and is the monitor turned on? Try using the HDMI, or DVI, if it has one. If still no output, return the card.
I tried HDMI and DP. I don't have a DVI-D cable, only DVI-I. The monitor is turned on.

I think you have to change more than just the bios setting to switch between legacy bios and uefi. The boot drive needs to have changes made to it.

Like what? It definitely makes a change as there is a change to the result.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Card may be fine, but not for your system. I have had compatibility issues with old boards, both AMD and Intel and newer vid cards. I.E. Failed to work, after troubleshooting it out - BIOS update, CMOS clear, better PSU, BIOS settings, cables and ports swapped. Did have a weird one where it would not work with a new 22' HP monitor with VGA or HDMI, but would work with an older Samsung using HDMI. Don't ask me why, the tech gods are capricious. Had a GTX 1650 that would not work in an old Phenom based OEM, a Vega 56 that will not work in a few. Put in a Gigabyte reference GTX 1070 or EVGA RTX 2060 Super Super, and viola, everything is great. Firmware incompatibility, power circuitry issue, beats me what is responsible from some of the oddities? I can only say that in my experience, old boards and new cards are a crap shoot.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I can only say that in my experience, old boards and new cards are a crap shoot.
Unfortunately, this is true.

I remember one time I tried upgrading my friend's P4 rig (with a Via chipset, ugh), with a "generic" NV 6600GT PCI card (maybe AGP? maybe PCI-E?). Well, the BIOS on the card, and the mobo, didn't get along.

Once inserted, and attempting to boot, would essentially corrupt the CMOS settings somehow, requiring removal of the card, and clearing the CMOS to factory settings to boot again.

I actually initially thought that I fried my friend's board, so I bought him an AM2+ board, and he bought the CPU for it. He had that AM2+ board for like 8-10 years (it was a good one, an ASRock with solid caps). So the move was a good one, even if I later figured out that his old board wasn't completely fried like I thought that it was.

The video card, I used/sold in another rig, at some later date. It worked in boards with Intel chipsets. Just not stinking Via system chipsets. :(

Reactions: DAPUNISHER