RX 480 vs GTX 1060 (same price)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestbar

May 9, 2016
Which is better; Asus Strix RX 480 8GB or Gigabyte G1 GTX 1060 6GB on the same price point?
Also if you consider another aftermarket card stronger tell me your opinion.

I can't decide which card I should buy. People say 1060 is stronger now (DX 11), but for future titles (DX12, Vulkan) 480 is far more powered. I do believe this, but will these cards be on a strong position when the game market is more than 50% on Vulkan and DirectX 12 ? Also, is it real than nvidia can do anything to power up Pascal on Async Computing because it is "hardware's" thing ? But is it really possible that they release a new chip technology on 2016 and they do nothing to get better on Async ?

Please no fanboy-ism here.

I like both companies, but this is a product that I would like to keep it for at least 3 years, so I want to buy what is really better in general.

PS.: Sorry for bad english.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
if you overclock a 1060 will win 85% of the important benchmarks.
If you don't overclock the 1060 will win 70% of the benchmarks out there.

These are the facts.

If you have a magic 8 ball and can predict the future, some say the 480 will somehow be faster in 2 years or so.
This is a fanboy opinion.

In 3 years both cards will be worthless.
This is my opinion.

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
Which is better; Asus Strix RX 480 8GB or Gigabyte G1 GTX 1060 6GB on the same price point?
Also if you consider another aftermarket card stronger tell me your opinion.

I can't decide which card I should buy. People say 1060 is stronger now (DX 11), but for future titles (DX12, Vulkan) 480 is far more powered. I do believe this, but will these cards be on a strong position when the game market is more than 50% on Vulkan and DirectX 12 ? Also, is it real than nvidia can do anything to power up Pascal on Async Computing because it is "hardware's" thing ? But is it really possible that they release a new chip technology on 2016 and they do nothing to get better on Async ?

I like both companies, but this is a product that I would like to keep it for at least 3 years, so I want to buy what is really better in general.

AMD is future proof.They have dx12 ready cards.NV will win under dx11, but fail under dx12 if its not gameworks title.
First NV dx12 cards will be Volta.
If you want to keep it 3 yeas go 1000% for AMD.

Reactions: kawi6rr

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013
If you have a magic 8 ball and can predict the future, some say the 480 will somehow be faster in 2 years or so.
This is a fanboy opinion.

In 3 years both cards will be worthless.
This is my opinion.

That's pretty pretentious to say that in 3 years both cards will be worthless. Plenty of people are running 3 year old mid-high end cards and play most games at high/1080p just fine.

And AMD cards have a past history of being better over a period of time than Nvidia. Whether or not that will hold true with Polaris is not certain, but it's far better than your magic 8 ball, just see Kepler/Fermi vs GCN 1.0.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Plenty of people are running 3 year old high end cards

These cards are mid range at best, not high end, and yes in my opinion will BOTH be worthless in 3 years.

I see no one commented on the facts I laid out.
They just want to state the OPINION that the 480 will somehow become faster, or attack my opinions.

Anyone want to debate the facts?

The 1060 is the faster card, period, fact ,end of story.
and for the same price is the better buy.

Reactions: Sweepr
Aug 11, 2008
AMD is future proof.They have dx12 ready cards.NV will win under dx11, but fail under dx12 if its not gameworks title.
First NV dx12 cards will be Volta.
If you want to keep it 3 yeas go 1000% for AMD.

Got a link for that data 1 or 2 or 3 years from now??? Oh wait, it is impossible to know isnt it? And gee, I must be confused, I thought you could actually play DX12 on nVidia cards. I did not know that they are not "ready" yet.

OP, I agree with Phynaz in this case. Toss a coin. 1060 is somewhat faster in the vast majority of games now, will most likely overclock better, and will use less power. Only advantage to the 480 is that it most likely will gain as more titles utilize DX12, but who knows how much. My opinion is that by the time (if ever) that the 480 is enough faster than the 1060 to make a huge difference, both cards will be obsolete. As for vulcan, AMD fans love to cite the one game that actually utilizes vulcan, but until proven otherwise, I consider it a niche product and most likely always will be.

Reactions: happy medium
Aug 11, 2008
These cards are mid range at best, not high end, and yes in my opinion will BOTH be worthless in 3 years.

They just want to state the OPINION that the 480 will somehow become faster, or attack my opinions.

I would not say that they will be "worthless", but for sure they will be "low end" by then, and both will require sacrifices in settings. I also dont buy the "oh, people that buy mid range cards want to keep them longer". Maybe they just don't demand the best performance, or they would rather replace the card in a year or to when faster cards come out instead of buying a high end card and having to keep it longer. I certainly dont pretend to know the motivations of all dgpu buyers, like some on these forums (not you), but my personal metric that I would absolutely expect to keep a high end card like the 1080 or 980Ti in its day, longer than I would a 250.00 card.

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013

Yea, you conveniently ignored the other fact, that AMD cards have a history of being a better value. So let's fact check this at 1080p/1200p. Note, this does not mean Polaris will do the same, but indicates that it is

GTX 770 review (March 2013), the GTX 770 (Kepler) is 32% faster than a Radeon 7950. Also note the GTX 780 is 20% faster than the Radeon 7970 GHz edition.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_770/27.html

GTX 1060 review (July 2016). The R9 285 (a rebadged R7950 with less VRAM) is now 2% faster than the GTX 770. The R9 280x (rebadged R7970) is now just 10% behind the GTX 780.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/26.html

So no, its not just AMD fanbois talking random crap about your magic 8 ball. It is precedent.

PS, I (and many others on this forum) will take all these worthless cards off your hands in 3 years.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Yea, you conveniently ignored the other fact, that AMD cards have a history of being a better value. So let's fact check this at 1080p/1200p. Note, this does not mean Polaris will do the same, but indicates that it is

GTX 770 review (March 2013), the GTX 770 (Kepler) is 32% faster than a Radeon 7950. Also note the GTX 780 is 20% faster than the Radeon 7970 GHz edition.

GTX 1060 review (July 2016). The R9 285 (a rebadged R7950 with less VRAM) is now 2% faster than the GTX 770. The R9 280x (rebadged R7970) is now just 10% behind the GTX 780.

So no, its not just AMD fanbois talking random crap about your magic 8 ball. It is precedent.

PS, I (and many others on this forum) will take all these worthless cards off your hands in 3 years.

Stop changing the subject....

I'll say it again...for the same price the 1060 is the better card, the faster card, the quieter card, the card that uses less power, the card that overclocks better.

Get over it, these are the facts.

If you want to predict the future, your in the wrong forum.

Reactions: tviceman

kondziowy

Feb 19, 2016
Also, is it real than nvidia can do anything to power up Pascal on Async Computing because it is "hardware's" thing ? But is it really possible that they release a new chip technology on 2016 and they do nothing to get better on Async ?

Nvidia is still behind on architecture because thay can't switch from heavily single threaded DX11 in a blink of an eye. It will take them a couple of generations. AMD was suffering in single threaded APIs and they were ready for this switch years ago - and lost lots of marketshare in the process. Still - Nvidia has more efficient cards, but not better in perf/$.

It really depends WHICH games YOU want to play. Old games, and future heavy gameworks titles - 1060 is better no doubt. New DX12 games - 480 wins in almost all of them with only a few (1-2?) exceptions.
6GB is minimum for Ultra details today, provided that you have raw gpu power to drive those details(depends on the game). With 480 you get 8GB - the same amount as GTX1070/1080 - that means you will get better textures on this card for sure in the future.

GTX1060 6GB/ 3GB just can't match RX470/480 in DX12-only games. Forza Horizon 3 releases tomorrow and confirms that.
1060 6GB vs 480: https://youtu.be/tz85_GqYbR8?t=434
1060 3GB vs 470: https://youtu.be/l0XejmBCuEk?list=PLWW7sTlNZKJeCdSgEZQq2mKceRO4Borai&t=266

Yet another DX12 only title and the trend continues. It's not a coincidence my friend. 480 is the way to go.

I would go MSI RX480 8GB or ASUS. MSI has the most quiet RX480 -best cooler. So I would probably choose that one.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Get the 1060. Faster, lower power, lower heat. Why suffer lower performance now in the hopes of maybe getting 5 or 10 percent more performance later, which is just speculation?

If you really want something that will last three years without question and ends any chance of regret, get a 1070.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004

You could also say it takes AMD quite a long time to get their drivers rights...either way, I'd rather have the faster, quieter card now, and see what happens about DX12 later. As is now, they are neck and neck with DX12.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
fh3_zpsvlpwoogv.jpg

yea, another direct x 12 win for the gtx1060. and when you overclock the 1060 its even faster.

thestbar

May 9, 2016
I bought back on 2010 a GT 430 because back then my gaming level was DotA, WoW etc. After almost 7 years I decided that a good GPU will offer me the potential to play some more graphics based games. You understand that my new GPU, if everything goes well, will be on my rig for 3 years at least.

Currently I spend my free time on Overwatch and Legion, but I would like to try games like the new Deus X, RE 7, ME Andromeda, Last Guardian, GoW 4

And for sure more aged titles like Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3 and the always fun to play GTA V.

Everything on 1080p/60Hertz.

I know that both cards could be beasts for my resolution but the fact that I do not fanboy neither company makes the choice going to coin flip side :p

Also, I saw on reviews that there aren't very big differents on temperatures for the custom models. But I think that it is clear that the 1060 is a better OC'er than 480. At least on pure MHz's that it hasn't equally gains on each card.

crazzy.heartz

Sep 13, 2010
Here are the results of an online Poll from techpowerup.com

2z9l8ah.jpg

Also -

x4maut.png

Quote:

Looking at the graphs, switching from DirectX 11 to DirectX 12 mode, AMD GPUs not only don't lose frame-rates, but in some cases, even gain frame-rates. NVIDIA GPUs, on the other hand, significantly lose frame-rates. AMD GPUs tend to hold on to their frame-rates at 4K Ultra HD, marginally gain frame-rates at 2560 x 1440, and further gain frame-rates at 1080p. NVIDIA GPUs either barely hold on to their frame-rates, or significantly lose them. AMD has on multiple occasions claimed that its Graphics CoreNext architecture, combined with its purist approach to asynchronous compute make Radeon GPUs a better choice for DirectX 12 and Vulkan.

Original - https://www.techpowerup.com/225696/...ce-drop-on-deus-ex-mankind-divided-directx-12

crazzy.heartz

Sep 13, 2010
Time and again, gamers have regretted buying nvidia GFX cards with less VRAM compared to their AMD counterparts. This makes 4GB/8GB RX 470/480 cards a better option than 3GB/6GB gtx 1060 from the get go..

Furthermore, having DX 12 hardware present on chip on RX 480, makes it better poised for future games to be released using DX 12 & Vulcan API.. Same cannot be said for Nvidia Gtx 1060 that lacks DX12 hardware.

Hell, even Google is using Vulcan for their next Android & other Major game devs are jumping onboard as well.

Ex.-

2zqent5.png

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/225813/...an-this-november-dx12-multi-gpu-next-february

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Here are the results of an online Poll from techpowerup.com

2z9l8ah.jpg

Also -

x4maut.png

Quote:

Looking at the graphs, switching from DirectX 11 to DirectX 12 mode, AMD GPUs not only don't lose frame-rates, but in some cases, even gain frame-rates. NVIDIA GPUs, on the other hand, significantly lose frame-rates. AMD GPUs tend to hold on to their frame-rates at 4K Ultra HD, marginally gain frame-rates at 2560 x 1440, and further gain frame-rates at 1080p. NVIDIA GPUs either barely hold on to their frame-rates, or significantly lose them. AMD has on multiple occasions claimed that its Graphics CoreNext architecture, combined with its purist approach to asynchronous compute make Radeon GPUs a better choice for DirectX 12 and Vulkan.

Original - https://www.techpowerup.com/225696/...ce-drop-on-deus-ex-mankind-divided-directx-12

Time and again, gamers have regretted buying nvidia GFX cards with less VRAM compared to their AMD counterparts. This makes 4GB/8GB RX 470/480 cards a better option than 3GB/6GB gtx 1060 from the get go..

Furthermore, having DX 12 hardware present on chip on RX 480, makes it better poised for future games to be released using DX 12 & Vulcan API.. Same cannot be said for Nvidia Gtx 1060 that lacks DX12 hardware.

Hell, even Google is using Vulcan for their next Android & other Major game devs are jumping onboard as well.

Ex.-

2zqent5.png

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/225813/...an-this-november-dx12-multi-gpu-next-february

And with all this, we come to one FACTUAL conclusion.
The gtx1060 is the faster, less power using, quieter, and gives off less heat , and overclocks better than the 480. and is the better card for the same money.

When it comes to Vram, a gtx1060 will never use 6gb and the 480 won't even come close to using 8gb.
Both will run out of gpu power before it uses the memory.

Anyone have some facts to debate?
Please no could be's, might be's, someone told me's, the future could be , might be, or looks like it could be, the trend is, it was like that 6 years ago, or any other argument that has nothing to do with the gtx1060 being the faster , quieter, less power using and better overclocking card for the same money as the 480.

Last edited:

kondziowy

Feb 19, 2016
And with all this, we come to one FACTUAL conclusion.
The gtx1060 is the faster, less power using, quieter, and gives off less heat , and overclocks better than the 480. and is the better card for the same money.

When it comes to Vram, a gtx1060 will never use 6gb and the 480 won't even come close to using 8gb.
Both will run out of gpu power before it uses the memory.

Dude, you don't have to repeat the same thing multiple times in one thread. Usually that is not a good sign. Your opinion has been heard. Let the thread owner make his own decision. There are pros and cons of both cards.

Games that require 6GB minimum today are ME:Catalyst, Deus Ex MD, DOOM, and that is at 1080p.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Dude, you don't have to repeat the same thing multiple times in one thread. Usually that is not a good sign. Your opinion has been heard. Let the thread owner make his own decision. There are pros and cons of both cards.

Games that require 6GB minimum today are ME:Catalyst, Deus Ex MD, DOOM, and that is at 1080p.

Dude, it looks like I do need to repeat myself because you missed the point.
Its not my or anyones OPINION I want to be heard, its the FACTS.

I will give the FACTS one more time.
For the same money the 1060 is the faster, less power using, quieter and better overclocker than the 480.

Does anyone dispute the facts? Are theses not the measurments we have been using on this and every forum for like 20 years?
price = even
quiet = 1060
power consumption =1060
performance =1060
overclocking =1060
drivers= even?
VR performance = 1060

Last edited:

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
As you are seeing, there is a lot of strong opinions here.

Allow me to present a different argument.

Both the RX480 and GTX1060 are able to play the same games at usable frame rates presently. In other words, it does NOT matter if one is slightly faster at present. You will be able to use them the same way.

I see this as the critical statement. You want to keep the card for 3 years.

That means that the most important consideration is how you think the card will perform later on when you will need as much performance as possible.
By wanting this we have to try and predict the future, and this is something we all do everyday even if we do not realize it. Forget about those who say, forget about predicting the future.

The last few generations have shown AMD cards to hold up better as they age. Nvidia cards that were as fast as the same price AMD card are now quite slower. This is in addition to the present transition to DX12 and Vulkan where most expect AMD to excel.

To me the choice is clear. Go AMD.

Reactions: Creig and Final8ty

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012

Right now the GTX 1060 is marginally better mostly due to its better performance in DX11 titles. Rx 480 is the faster card for DX12 / Vulkan. But you want to keep the card for atleast 3 years.Lets say you would want to keep the card for 4 years. I would advise you to look at the past couple of generations. GTX 680 vs HD 7970 and R9 290X vs GTX 780 Ti or R9 390 vs GTX 970 and R9 390X vs GTX 980. Kepler is downright pathetic today and is simply rubbish in DX12 / Vulkan. HD 7970 / R9 280x embarasses GTX 780 in most modern games. Maxwell fares slightly better but still gets destroyed in DX12 / Vulkan games.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...9-radeon-rx480-8gb-performance-review-24.html

AMD's GCN legacy is in the consoles - PS4 used a Pitcairn derivative GPU and Xbox One used a Bonaire derivative GPU. PS4 Pro uses a modified version of Polaris 10 GPU aka Rx 480 and Xbox Scorpio is most likely using a next gen Vega based GPU. AMD is also pushing GPUOpen aggressively to help bring console optimizations to the PC. This almost guarantees that Rx 480 will perform very well for the next 3-4 years. Anyway do your research and choose wisely.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
In other words, it does NOT matter if one is slightly faster at present.

OH I get it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Its ok for the 1060 to be faster, quieter, use less power, overclock better and have better VR performance, but if Maddie says go AMD , we should go AMD.

When you guys who fall for this are done buying your cards ,I have some swamp land to sell you that in my opinion is not that wet and could become dryer in the future.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Right now the GTX 1060 is marginally better mostly due to its better performance in DX11 titles. Rx 480 is the faster card for DX12 / Vulkan. But you want to keep the card for atleast 3 years.Lets say you would want to keep the card for 4 years. I would advise you to look at the past couple of generations. GTX 680 vs HD 7970 and R9 290X vs GTX 780 Ti or R9 390 vs GTX 970 and R9 390X vs GTX 980. Kepler is downright pathetic today and is simply rubbish in DX12 / Vulkan. HD 7970 / R9 280x embarasses GTX 780 in most modern games. Maxwell fares slightly better but still gets destroyed in DX12 / Vulkan games.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...9-radeon-rx480-8gb-performance-review-24.html

AMD's GCN legacy is in the consoles - PS4 used a Pitcairn derivative GPU and Xbox One used a Bonaire derivative GPU. PS4 Pro uses a modified version of Polaris 10 GPU aka Rx 480 and Xbox Scorpio is most likely using a next gen Vega based GPU. AMD is also pushing GPUOpen aggressively to help bring console optimizations to the PC. This almost guarantees that Rx 480 will perform very well for the next 3-4 years. Anyway do your research and choose wisely.

Maxwell, the 7970, the 280x , the 780, the 780ti have nothing to do with PAscal and the 1060 vs the 480 for the same price.
ANd that goes for consoles also.

Status
Not open for further replies.