"RV870 story: Amd showing up to the fight"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
+1
I hope nV shares similar info about Fermi's development. Regardless of how it stacks up, there's a LOT of story there for sure.

the focus group will let you know all about it :biggrin:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
AMD has sideport, in theory can be used for the same thing. So while ATI is able to deliver performance/size, they soon will be able to bring multi-gpu's.

The description of "sideport" sounds very interesting. Synchronizing GPUs? Would this imply a type of load balancing? Maybe that would explain ATI's concern over increased power usage with this feature? (load balancing calculations require additional power)

It could also be "sideport" will be useful for synchronizing APUs with discrete GPUs. I starting to believe this could be true since Carrell , in the article, said "don't be suprised if you hear about sideport again".

Kuzi

Sep 16, 2007
Very nice read. As some of you mentioned I wish we got similar articles about Nvidia's GPUs.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Very good article. One can be permitted to be jealous of Anand, having access to engineers of this caliber and being able to discuss issues like this. Great stuff. I think it illustrates how it is still possible to innovate in America and to compete effectively if one doesn't have blinders on and lives in a reality-based world.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
His desire to do this wasn’t born out of pure lunacy, Carrell does have a goal in mind. Within the next 6 years he wants to have a first generation holodeck operational. A first generation holodeck would be composed of a 180 degree hemispherical display with both positionally and phase accurate sound. We’ll also need the pixel pushing power to make it all seem lifelike. That amounts to at least 100 million pixels (7 million pixels for what’s directly in front of you, and the rest for everything else in the scene), or almost 25 times the number of pixels on a single 30” display.

This idea of a first generation holodeck sounds very interesting (to say the least).

Hmmm....but how expensive will this 100 million pixel display be? What sort of applications could it be used for? Could this be sold as a high end workstation device for increasing efficiency?

P.S. Regarding the secrecy of "Sunspot" this would explain why LCD manufacturers haven't come out with ultra thin bezel designs. Hopefully that changes in the very near future.

Last edited:

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Good read, just wish the writing was better. It's a shame that the site is becoming increasingly a destination for other media outlets for information in computer hardware/IT, yet the writing is still stuck, in many cases, with 8th grade grammar use.

That's what happens when web sites don't use editors (like "real" news sources use) and the author may have English as a second language.

English is my second language. My guess is that it is the second language of many people here.

Then again my English, while not perfect, is probably better than most native speakers. :twisted:

Edit: When you mention Steve Jobs vain is appropriate usage.

:awe:

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Ironic with missing pronoun, the double for, and over use of commas.

Maybe replace the second for with to acquire or something?

Edit: Use is redundant when referring to grammar as a whole.

Edit2: It would seem the best way to subordinate the second clause would be

"hardware/IT; yet in many cases, the grammar is stuck at an 8th grade level"

Edit3: With regards to your complaint here

Your critism is really taken out of context and actually mostly punctuational. If you subordinate the first sentence onto the second it reads quite nicely.

becomes

Edit: I notice some changes have been made already and maybe some more are needed.

Edit: When you mention Steve Jobs vain is appropriate usage.

Muphry's law never fails!

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I love articles like this. You can read about the technical specs and benchmarks of hardware at any random computer website you happen to click on. But to be able to read interviews with the people responsible for that hardware, the decisions they made and the reasons why they made those decisions is rare indeed.

Please keep bringing us more of these, Anand.

dreddfunk

Jun 30, 2005
I love articles like this. You can read about the technical specs and benchmarks of hardware at any random computer website you happen to click on. But to be able to read interviews with the people responsible for that hardware, the decisions they made and the reasons why they made those decisions is rare indeed.

Please keep bringing us more of these, Anand.

+1

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Good article... even more so given the irony that Nvidia did not show up to the fight.