Russia's military says may have killed IS leader Baghdadi

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
Well we have heard this before, Russia's military says it may have killed IS leader; West, Iraq are skeptical.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-syria-baghdadi-idUSKBN1970O2

The Russian Defense Ministry said it has investigated whether a Russian airstrike in Syria killed Daesh leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the TASS news agency reported Friday.

The airstrike targeted a meeting of Daesh leaders and was carried out on May 28, the agencies cited the ministry as saying.

Senior leaders of the Daesh terrorist group were meeting at the time of the May 28 strike, the ministry said in a statement by Tass.

"According to the information which is now being checked via various channels, Daesh leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who was eliminated by the airstrike, was also present at the meeting," RIA news agency quoted the ministry as saying.

Baghdadi, who has a $25-million bounty on his head, has managed to evade being killed or captured by the U.S.-led anti-Daesh coalition throughout its more than two-year campaign in Iraq and Syria. Sporadic rumors have continued to mount that he was killed in a variety of U.S.-led actions, but little evidence has surfaced to support those claims.

r

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
Oh wow, Russia actually broke out the guided munitions rather than just laying dumb bombs into cities? Color me surprised.

I'd doubt they got him, and doubt even more that it'd make a big difference though.

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah I'm skeptical on this one. They stated they targeted a massive meeting of Daesh leaders but it seems unlikely they would congregate like that after years of being incredibly careful to no do exactly that.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
I hope they are right, and didn't just bomb a bunch of civilians and then call them militants afterwards (US style).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I hope it's true.

Side thought: I wonder how Donny will feel, if Russia did what he can't do, and so Donny can therefore never do something as cool as Obama. :(

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Oh wow, Russia actually broke out the guided munitions rather than just laying dumb bombs into cities? Color me surprised.

I'd doubt they got him, and doubt even more that it'd make a big difference though.

We use guided supposedly and are closing in on 2000 civilians killed in 4 months of bombing.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
We use guided supposedly and are closing in on 2000 civilians killed in 4 months of bombing.

We definitely do drop guided bombs. Which begs the question of just how sobering the atrocity is from the Russians dumping sticks of dumb bombs into cities like it's '44.