Russian Space Shuttle for sale!

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Minimium asking-price: 6 million dollars.

<< CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- A Los Angeles radio station is planning to auction off a Russian Buran space shuttle and the minimum asking price is $6 million.

News 980 KFWB-AM will start accepting bids for the used ship on the station's web site at 11 a.m. EDT (1500 GMT) Friday. The auction closes May 22 at 6 p.m. EDT (2200 GMT).

And though there are certainly people in the Southern California area who might be able to afford their own spaceplane -- Tom Cruise has been suggested in particular -- auction organizers are not really expecting it to sell.

"We're looking at it like it probably won't, but it's just a lot of fun and people will have a good time with it," said Pam Baker, director of marketing and sales for KFWB-AM's web site.

Buran -- Russian for snowstorm -- is the name of the Russian shuttle that made one unmanned spaceflight in November 1988.

It circled Earth twice, landed automatically and since then has more or less sat in storage at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan -- along with at least one other fully-built shuttle that has been called Ptichka, which means "little bird."
>>

Source

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001

<< Minimium asking-price: 6 million dollars. >>

That IS a hot deal. Any rebates?

Feb 10, 2000
One wonders whether the Russians would be willing to facilitate a launch if the buyer paid for it. The photos alongside the story show the shuttle being launched in Kazakhstan, which is no longer part of the Soviet Union, so they may no longer have the facilities to launch it.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Looks like they copied the design AND color scheme of our shuttle :D

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
hell, I could buy that and put it in my yard on cinder blocks. Might look nice with the other 4 or 5... :D

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Don_Vito
Holy coincidence (or not)! A hangar at the Russian cosmodrome, containing a space shuttle (possibly the very one up for auction) collapsed today.

Weird!! Look at this quote from the article:

It had not been used since the Buran program was abandoned in 1993 after making one successful unmanned flight in 1988. A Buran ship was in the hangar at the time of the accident, RTR said.

Sounds like the same shuttle. Sorry guys, the insurance agency has it now ;)

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Somehow I doubt this considering the Russians wouldn't even sell Mark Shuttleworth the Soyuz capsule he rode to the ISS in. Anyways, why would an LA radio station auction it off and not the Russian government?

I also don't think NASA would be too happy with that going down considering that the Buran is a copy of our space shuttle.