running in dual channel?

azntiger0586

Jul 10, 2003
1) i have 2 256ddr400 geil rams on my motherboard and when the computer boots up, it says during the bios boot up, "Single Channel Memory or Virtual Channel Memory" am i running in single channel or dual channel? i thought it should detect dual channel automatically.

2) me and my friend has the same computer specs, only things different is the ram and the hd. i computer freezes at a random time, can be right after bootup or 10 hours later, whenever. can this be a case of bad ram or hd? i ran an error check on my hd and found nothing. did memtest for 30 min and passed all test on ram. What is the problem?

Many Thanks!

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Does it Blue screen??? If so sounds like possible ram issue...If it just hardlocks I would think it could be power issues...how is the power supply???

Evdawg

Aug 23, 2003
sounds a LOT like ram.. take his ram and put it in your pc and see what happens

azntiger0586

Jul 10, 2003
thats what i was thinking that it must be a ram problem. i am running 450 watts antec and my friend currently has 350 antec, so i dont think its a psu problem. no blue screen what so ever, it would just freeze and everything would stay in its place and u cant move mouse cursor or anything.

any reccomendation on what type of ram, preferably ddr400, around 100$ for 2 256 sticks?

would a windows xp new format and installation fix this problem? i notice my xp does take awhile to load compare to my old 1.8 p4 1.8ghz, it stays in the windows xp logo with the bue bar passing around 8 times, my old 1.8 was around 3 bars passing and it was done.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
I dont know!!! Ram problems in xp should give a BSOD which is a hardlock anyways...Straight up freezes are usually overheating of some item or a power issue....

Definitely memtest that ram and see if you get tons of errors...

azntiger0586

Jul 10, 2003
how long does memtest take? last time i ran it, i thought it was in a loop, doing the same thing for the last 30 min. it passed 5 test with no errors. how many tests are there in default memtest? many thanks.