Running i7-4770K on Asus Maximus VII Hero with no GPU black screen

tickyour

Dec 14, 2004
Hi,

I'm running Asus Maximus VII Hero mobo with Intel i7-4770K CPU and no graphics card, but when I boot, the monitor turns on, but remains black. Nothing displays. I tried clearing the CMOS, but nothing changed.

I plugged the monitor in to the DVI port on the mobo and this cpu should have integrated graphics to run just fine without a gpu.

Any suggestions? Much appreciated.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Were you using a video card previously in this system?

If so, you likely just need to clear your CMOS, so your BIOS will default back using the onboard graphics as a default.

Edit: I somehow missed you stating you already cleared the CMOS.

So I guess my next question would be is this a system that worked fine for a long time, and suddenly started having the issues you described, or is this a new system that you just got?

Lastly, when you cleared your CMOS, did you unplug your PC from power altogether?

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Does the monitor support other inputs? If so, make sure you have it set to the correct one.

tickyour

Dec 14, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I tried the VGA port, but then the monitor remains completely off. I tried clearing the cmos with power off, but didn't help either.

I resigned myself to purchasing a low end gpu and abandon this no graphic card endeavour. It would have been good to get it to work, as this pc would be used for desktop computing only.

tickyour

Dec 14, 2004
Okay guys, this is getting weirder...

I purchased a MSI GT 1030, when booted, the resolution remains very low at 600x800. I was able to install Windows, but it did not let me change the resolution. I attempted to update Windows and install nvidia drivers and the screen went black, monitor turned off. I could never get this fixed no matter what I did. I tried to reinstall Windows, clear cmos, remove ram sticks... So I thought the motherboard is bad.

I got a Asus B85M-G motherboard and the problem persists!! The odd thing, even with GPU unplugged, it does not boot from on board graphics, in fact, screen turns on, but remains black. Could the cpu be bad? These are essentially the same identical issues with a new gpu and a new mobo.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Have you tried using different hdmi cables? Different screens?
When you attempt to install the Nvidia drivers, what does it say?
If you take the card out and run on Intel graphics, are you continuing to get the bad experience?
Out of curiousity, where are your new parts coming from, and are they all "brand new"?

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
What are or what were your cpu temps in bios? It very well could be over heating that is causing the issue. Otherwise it could be the cable or the monitor. How are you clearing cmos? Are you using a jumper or the button? Try removing all components and reinstalling them. Including the power cables to the case, sometimes when power button switches and reset switches are installed wrong, wonky things can happen. Start with the bare minimum first, with the gpu. When the screen goes black, I assume the system is still on? Aka fans are spinning. What cpu heatsink are you using and did you apply new thermal paste or use the stock stuff? What power supply are you using? A lot of times when power supplies start going bad they can have issues like this. I highly doubt it's a bad cpu or motherboard as the system is starting / running. It sounds more like a power supply, temp issue, overclock issue, bios issue, hdmi / dvi cable issue etc. Hopefully you get this resolved, keep us updated.

tickyour

Dec 14, 2004
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions.

The back story to this is that I am using parts left over from a gaming pc upgrade. In just completed that upgrade and this is certainly not the first build i have done. Hence was don't think I made any of those rookie mistakes as not applying thermal paste or poor cooling etc. The monitor and cables have been in use before this and work fine, I am honestly perplexed as to what the issue is.

It is so strange that it boots, but resolution remains extremely low, even in bios it doesn't display the full screen. When tried to install nvidia driver's, screen goes black and remains blck until reboot. However, screen did go black randomly too. Screen goes "in and out" some times in bios. Even stranger, monitor turns on with on board video, but nothing displays.

I am using a new 500W psu. I will attempt to bring in a alternative monitor to be sure