Running hat

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
See? That's why you're a little bitch. You were born a bitch, and you'll die a bitch. If you paid any attention to anything I've ever said instead of reading from your "I'm offended!" little bitch book, a republican is about the last thing you'd assume I am. Try opening your fucking eyes every so often, There's a big world out there. Or just be a bitch. Your choice, but we both already know your path, don't we?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Awww. Look. A triggered shitty testosterone smoking Republican.

To be fair if you've read his posts @ixskllr is clearly NOT a republican. :oops:
(Libertarian maybe! ;) )

Might want to take a long look at where that particular "knee-jerk" originated. (and this comes from a proud and self-proclaimed troll lol!)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
See? That's why you're a little bitch. You were born a bitch, and you'll die a bitch. If you paid any attention to anything I've ever said instead of reading from your "I'm offended!" little bitch book, a republican is about the last thing you'd assume I am. Try opening your fucking eyes every so often, There's a big world out there. Or just be a bitch. Your choice, but we both already know your path, don't we?

I haven't read your political posts, I don't even see you post in P&N. If you are bitching about me in P&N, well I do two things there - I call out the GQP party for what it is these days, a giant turd of fucking shitty people, and the other thing I do, is call out people who are too ignorant to know how evil the GQP is. I'm a lil rough around the edges sometimes, but sometimes the truth is rough around the edges, and that is especially true with today's 'conservatives' aka fascist scum. So if you are bitching about my posts there, well there is only one rational assumption.

Also your super manly opinions on how to dress in the outdoors are also retarded.

Athletes and outdoorspeople who could run circles around both of us on mountains and in deserts and in the snow all agree, you are a moron.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
That went downhill fast, all for a running hat lol. I wear nothing but merino wool socks, winter and summer. I've worn them hiking for 5 days, they literally stand up on their own, but rarely ever stink. Cotton has it's place, mainly in the crotch of Walmart womens panties. Rich women buy panties with an alpaca lined crotch :p

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
It always astounds me how worked up people get over literal minutiae.... after a certain point it becomes obvious the topic has zero to do with the vitriol and all you accomplish is looking like an id10+.

Pro-tip: At some point it MIGHT be a good idea to wait 10 minutes or so after banging out an angry/self-righteous "rant" before clicking "post reply" and see if it still seems like a wise plan. (a lesson I've learned the hard way a few times!)

Reactions: Muse

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It always astounds me how worked up people get over literal minutiae.... after a certain point it becomes obvious the topic has zero to do with the vitriol and all you accomplish is looking like an id10+.

Pro-tip: At some point it MIGHT be a good idea to wait 10 minutes or so after banging out an angry/self-righteous "rant" before clicking "post reply". (a lesson I've learned the hard way a few times!)

I was barechested on Mount Everest making Mai Tais when I made that post. Cool as a cucumber. I had just shedded all my cotton climbing gear too. Didn't have time to wait 10 min. Had to get down, so I could bag the next peak. Felt good.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I was barechested on Mount Everest making Mai Tais when I made that post. Cool as a cucumber. I had just shedded all my cotton climbing gear too. Didn't have time to wait 10 min. Had to get down, so I could bag the next peak. Felt good.

All that "enlightened" comment gets done is making it look like he was right.

Knowing when to quit is a positive trait. (for example.... I'm out.)

Reactions: Red Squirrel

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
So should I get polyester or cotton?

I'm not reading back through all that lol.... what will it be used for specifically again? (yes I know ... underwear is for holding deez nutz!)

EDIT: Ahh I remember.... running HATS not "shorts" ROTFL! :tearsofjoy:

For short runs near home in temperate weather where "survival" won't be a factor just get any old cotton/blend head-band. (or even a tied bandana)

In cold/wet weather or where it's important to retain body-heat go for wool/poly blend with gore-tex insert.... bonus-points for "Elmer Fudd" looking ear-flaps! (and yes... stay away from cotton OR down!)

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Poly smells like ass, and the best way to not sweat when it's cold is to remove clothes so you don't sweat. Sweating's your body's way of saying "We're fucking dying! Do something!!!", and that something is cool below the sweating threshold.
Humans evolved to sweat, it allows us to perform strenuous activity during the heat of the day. Massive evolutionary advantage over the vast majority of animals that will die of heat stroke while humans are just warming up.

I sweat while running in 40°F weather in shorts and short sleeves.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
There is a reason BDUs are made from Poly, not cotton, as well.

But at the end of the day wear whatever you like. I know I'm way more comfortable wearing poly anytime I'm hot. And especially anytime I'm hot in cool weather.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
There is a reason BDUs are made from Poly, not cotton, as well.
I wear 100% cotton BDU pants literally every day. They are more appropriate for the climate. The military prefers poly because it wears better and doesn't wrinkle. But for comfort working in a dry climate, cotton can't be beat.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I wear 100% cotton BDU pants literally every day. They are more appropriate for the climate. The military prefers poly because it wears better and doesn't wrinkle. But for comfort working in a dry climate, cotton can't be beat.

When you get sweaty, cotton lets the sweat sit directly on your skin. Even if it's the only layer you're wearing it takes a LOT longer to dry than poly or wool AND cotton loses nearly 100% of its ability to "insulate" when wet. (poly retains approx 60% of it's insulation and wool retains over 80% when wet)

Even if your outer layers are synthetic and retain insulation this will at the very least result in feeling "clammy" and uncomfortable.... and when you get to serious cold it will speed chills/hypothermia.

None of the above is "opinion"..... these facts are why people say "cotton kills" again and again.

But never let it be said I'm not open-minded... anyone with CREDIBLE evidence to prove what I posted incorrect I REQUEST that you post it.

Also this: ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Zorba

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Maybe just don't be a little bitch. I've spent plenty of time in snow without a shirt on, and I've shoveled snow up to my thighs in a kilt. You put your clothes in a pack, and you put them back on when you're done. This shit isn't complicated, and I'm more qualified than 90% of the people on this site discussing exercise in hot weather, or any weather as far as that goes.

That's actually better than me lol. I've been in a tshirt in winter but never shirtless. But yeah I hate being too hot especially if it's at the point of sweating, and it's hard to cool off once you overheat especially with clothes on. When working on anything in summer I'm shirtless like 90% of the time. Even in the bush. I pay for it via getting scratched up and cut by tree branches but it's still better than being sweaty and sticky. :p In winter I will go down to a tshirt if I'm doing anything super physical.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The only button is squished himself. He's a self righteous little wise and beautiful woman that basically contributes nothing to society. He's a P&N bitch that's always on his period. He makes noise, and does nothing else. Noise and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee.

I have him on ignore, he contributes nothing but insults as he's so bitter.

Reactions: lxskllr

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
When you get sweaty, cotton lets the sweat sit directly on your skin. Even if it's the only layer you're wearing it takes a LOT longer to dry than poly or wool AND cotton loses nearly 100% of its ability to "insulate" when wet. (poly retains approx 60% of it's insulation and wool retains over 80% when wet)

Even if your outer layers are synthetic and retain insulation this will at the very least result in feeling "clammy" and uncomfortable.... and when you get to serious cold it will speed chills/hypothermia.

None of the above is "opinion"..... these facts are why people say "cotton kills" again and again.

But never let it be said I'm not open-minded... anyone with CREDIBLE evidence to prove what I posted incorrect I REQUEST that you post it.

Also this: ;)

Really no point in debating with people that think materials that block evaporative heat transfer are better in hot and dry climates and think that clothes that retain moisture are better in cold climates. Never mind that every Olympian winter and summer are wearing kits made of poly, that the military wears poly, and every manufacturer of athletic clothing uses mostly poly or wool materials.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Really no point in debating with people that think materials that block evaporative heat transfer are better in hot and dry climates and think that clothes that retain moisture are better in cold climates. Never mind that every Olympian winter and summer are wearing kits made of poly, that the military wears poly, and every manufacturer of athletic clothing uses mostly poly or wool materials.

Yeah but it DID provide a reminder of that classic Seinfeld episode so SOME good did come from it! (it is to laugh!)

;)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
as long as you aren't regularly sweating, cotton is fine. I wear loose fitting cotton pants on some hot ass days, if I know I'm not doing any activities where I will be sweating

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
as long as you aren't regularly sweating, cotton is fine. I wear loose fitting cotton pants on some hot ass days, if I know I'm not doing any activities where I will be sweating
All of my karate gis are cotton. Even my lightest 10oz Mugen orange labels are fairly soaked before a training session is over. I would say my BJJ gis are better, but since you spend so much time with other people glued to you, they really aren't. At least with the BJJ ones, you spend a lot of the time on the mats, with the top being wide open outside of your belt. That helps a little.

Working hard with a sweat soaked cotton gi clinging to you is something you quickly get used to. That said, the moment you get to train in non cotton rash guard and boardshorts you will remember why you hate cotton.

Reactions: Zorba

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Main reason I stopped buying 100% cotton dress shirts was having to iron them. 50-50 is almost wrinkle free right out of the dryer. They also wear a lot longer. I suppose they are "cooler," meaning you don't feel as put out in warmer weather, but I don't think I was super cognizant of it, it was just something I sensed without conceptualizing it. I suppose this applied to pants, too. Recently I've been partial to 50-50 T shirts over cotton.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Main reason I stopped buying 100% cotton dress shirts was having to iron them. 50-50 is almost wrinkle free right out of the dryer. They also wear a lot longer. I suppose they are "cooler," meaning you don't feel as put out in warmer weather, but I don't think I was super cognizant of it, it was just something I sensed without conceptualizing it. I suppose this applied to pants, too. Recently I've been partial to 50-50 T shirts over cotton.
Yeah, for my causal clothes I pretty much only wear cotton. Except my nylon shorts in the summer. I rarely wear true business clothes, but I do think most of those are a blend.