Run your car with water

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: shira
Originally posted by: Evadman
Instead of using the engine, you should just put a windmill like device on top of the car to charge the battery and power the electrolysis machine. The wind that you generate by driving is free right?

Damn, we could power the country if we did that.

You're being sarcastic, right? I mean, you DO know that any wind used to drive the windmill equates to extra drag on the car, which must be overcome by the motor working harder, which means more fuel burned?

Duh. It is the same concept as running a car on water.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
As I said, if splitting water with the generator applies no more drag to the engine than normal use, this will work. How much power you get I don't know, but this could all be shortcutted by using the electricity to run an electric motor that drives the car in addition to the gas engine. The whole issue is in the question of how a car generator works, does it supply a constant and maximum drag to the engine at all times or only while charging. If constant and maximum then there is an inefficiency that could be tapped, but more efficiently by an electric motor than hydrogen conversion. But even greater efficiency would be had by freewheeling the generator when not in use.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
-snip-
The whole issue is in the question of how a car generator works, does it supply a constant and maximum drag to the engine at all times or only while charging. If constant and maximum then there is an inefficiency that could be tapped, but more efficiently by an electric motor than hydrogen conversion. But even greater efficiency would be had by freewheeling the generator when not in use.

I'm pretty sure the alternator does not have constant drag, when it kicks in to charge drag is increased and vice-versa. IDK what the extra drag measures though.

(BTW: We haven't used generators on cars for many decades now.)

Fern

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: Harvey
I don't know if they're enough of a scam to be illegal, but they're certainly breaking some laws... of physics and chemistry.

If they're trying to separate the hydrogen from the oxygen in water, it's time to cue the theramin. They're ignoring the fact that it takes more energy to do that than they can reclaim from burning a low energy fuel like hydrogen.
:confused:
Per unit volume, yes, hydrogen does have fairly low energy, at least in the gaseous state. You're trying to compress the least-dense element in the Universe into a small enough space to be useful, without producing enough pressure to be insanely dangerous.

Energy is produced when water is formed. It's quite a stable molecule. You're not going to get energy out of it by turning it into hydrogen and oxygen. Simple as that.

If you've got a certain number of hydrogen and oxygen atoms, and react them to get 100W, you'll get a certain quantity of water. If you want to separate that water into hydrogen and oxygen, it's going to take at least 100W to do it.

Stupid people....."Duh, gee, gasoline is a clear liquid, and so's water! We should be able to use it in engines to produce energy!"

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Uh, well, I'm not sure their claims are true about mileage and such but you can do this. The issue that people seem to forget about is that alternators are usually oversized(duh) and thus have excess generation capacity. It'd be interesting to note the increase "drag" on the engine by using 100% of the alternator instead of ~75% though to see if the potential energy released by the water in the form of oxygena and hydrogen would make up for that extra usage. But yes, it does "work" to an extent - meaning that you can build this, put it in your car and it will run. A guy at work did just that. He never did realize any milage increase but we were surmizing that his system was too small and/or he had significant oxy/hyd leakage so it wasn't being sucked into the intake. I will also note that there are many FREE sites that discuss this so anyone who would PAY for this type of information is a gullable putz :D

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7
I don't know if they're enough of a scam to be illegal, but they're certainly breaking some laws... of physics and chemistry.

If they're trying to separate the hydrogen from the oxygen in water, it's time to cue the theramin. They're ignoring the fact that it takes more energy to do that than they can reclaim from burning a low energy fuel like hydrogen.
:confused:
Per unit volume, yes, hydrogen does have fairly low energy, at least in the gaseous state. You're trying to compress the least-dense element in the Universe into a small enough space to be useful, without producing enough pressure to be insanely dangerous.

Energy is produced when water is formed. It's quite a stable molecule. You're not going to get energy out of it by turning it into hydrogen and oxygen. Simple as that.

If you've got a certain number of hydrogen and oxygen atoms, and react them to get 100W, you'll get a certain quantity of water. If you want to separate that water into hydrogen and oxygen, it's going to take at least 100W to do it.

Stupid people....."Duh, gee, gasoline is a clear liquid, and so's water! We should be able to use it in engines to produce energy!"

I recognize all this. It's just that hydrogen is so readily combustible that I wouldn't call it a "low energy fuel," especially when measured per unit mass.
The problem is not hydrogen as a fuel, but that almost all the hydrogen on earth is already locked up in water (and other compounds).

I think what Harvey meant is that hydrogen is not a fuel (or energy) source. It could, through fuel cells, possibly be a good form of energy storage, but that technology is still very expensive and a long long ways from being affordable.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
CADsortaGUY

Do you think that the excess electrical capacity of a car charging system would produce hydrogen at any useful rate? I would think any production would be quite small.

I live in Ohio, and I am sure I know what would happen to my water tank in the winter.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Uh, well, I'm not sure their claims are true about mileage and such but you can do this. The issue that people seem to forget about is that alternators are usually oversized(duh) and thus have excess generation capacity. It'd be interesting to note the increase "drag" on the engine by using 100% of the alternator instead of ~75% though to see if the potential energy released by the water in the form of oxygena and hydrogen would make up for that extra usage. But yes, it does "work" to an extent - meaning that you can build this, put it in your car and it will run. A guy at work did just that. He never did realize any milage increase but we were surmizing that his system was too small and/or he had significant oxy/hyd leakage so it wasn't being sucked into the intake. I will also note that there are many FREE sites that discuss this so anyone who would PAY for this type of information is a gullable putz :D

Tuners use underdrive crank pulleys all the time. It's not that big of a difference.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Fern
-snip-
The whole issue is in the question of how a car generator works, does it supply a constant and maximum drag to the engine at all times or only while charging. If constant and maximum then there is an inefficiency that could be tapped, but more efficiently by an electric motor than hydrogen conversion. But even greater efficiency would be had by freewheeling the generator when not in use.

I'm pretty sure the alternator does not have constant drag, when it kicks in to charge drag is increased and vice-versa. IDK what the extra drag measures though.

(BTW: We haven't used generators on cars for many decades now.)

Fern

An alternator is an AC generator and one I also think it kicks which makes this hydrogen idea stupid.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
The real idea of using water as a fuel is based upon the oxidation of aluminum metal in water.

rxn: 3 H2O + 2 Al --> Al2O3 + 3 H2 this reaction is extremely exothermic. So yes you produce hydrogen from water by dropping in some aluminum powder.

However... several huge problems:

Tons of energy is required to reduce Al2O3 back to pure aluminum so, in truth, Al and water would only a 'an energy carrier'... not an energy source.

When cheap energy is available from solar, hydro, geothermal, nuclear, etc. the aluminum water system could be used as a energy carrier.

But by the time solar is major contributor to world energy landscape... other superior energy carriers will be incredibly improved such as electric via ultra-capacitor batteries or compressed air (as mentioned above).

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
As I said, if splitting water with the generator applies no more drag to the engine than normal use, this will work. How much power you get I don't know, but this could all be shortcutted by using the electricity to run an electric motor that drives the car in addition to the gas engine. The whole issue is in the question of how a car generator works, does it supply a constant and maximum drag to the engine at all times or only while charging. If constant and maximum then there is an inefficiency that could be tapped, but more efficiently by an electric motor than hydrogen conversion. But even greater efficiency would be had by freewheeling the generator when not in use.

Some vehicles actually have the computer control the output depending on load and some even shut it off under certain conditions in order to increase EPA ratings.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I think what Harvey meant is that hydrogen is not a fuel (or energy) source. It could, through fuel cells, possibly be a good form of energy storage, but that technology is still very expensive and a long long ways from being affordable.

I think what Harvey meant is, it would take more energy to separate free hydrogen from oxygen than the amount of potential energy in the hydrogen gas you'd get. Assuming we haven't transcended the laws of physics, there is no "pill" or other chemistry that will separate the hydrogen and oxygen comprising water and deliver a large quantity usable potential energy... even if you include all the power of all the wishes and all the fairy dust in the known and imaginary universe.

In other words, I smell bullshit. Those jokers belong in jail.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

I think what Harvey meant is, it would take more energy to separate free hydrogen from oxygen than the amount of potential energy in the hydrogen gas you'd get. Assuming we haven't transcended the laws of physics, there is no "pill" or other chemistry that will separate the hydrogen and oxygen comprising water and deliver a large quantity usable potential energy... even if you include all the power of all the wishes and all the fairy dust in the known and imaginary universe.

In other words, I smell bullshit. Those jokers belong in jail.

Okay... that's what I thought you meant. But that's not quite the same as saying "low energy fuel like hydrogen."

edit: and I already brought up the 1st law in this thread. As an energy source, hydrogen from water fails.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

Okay... that's what I thought you meant. But that's not quite the same as saying "low energy fuel like hydrogen."

I meant that, as well. As Jeff7 noted, hydrogen doesn't have that much potential energy per unit volume. Fuel cells are a more efficient conversion process than burning it, and that makes hydrogen fueled vehichles possible, but adding some mystery oil to water in a conventional internal combustion engine is pure fantasy, and anyone selling it as such can only be a fraud.

If you believe this crap, I'd like to tell you about some time shares in a bridge someone's selling. :p

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Anyone who has actually read through the thread would know that I don't believe in the Brooklyn Bridge being sold here.

H2 gas per unit volume is a relatively low energy source, but per unit mass is quite good. And it's highly reactive with zero carbon emissions. It would be a near perfect fuel except for the fact there hardly isn't any naturally available on earth.

I'll quit split hairs here though, because what you meant is that H2 from water is a negative energy fuel.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Actually, there are but three basic forms of energy in the Universe.

There are the basic nuclear processes of fusion or fission which involve converting mass to energy. And that process is basically a one way process

Then there are basic chemical reactions which can occur at only temperatures below where electron orbitals exist can around a atomic nucleus. And such chemical reactions can be driven either way in what amounts to a zero sum game.

Then there are a special set of chemical reactions where energy from the photons create chemical reactions which can power a life form. And where the beginning product of a plankton cell is important and the end product of a pig or a human is a parasite in that very process. As far is yet known, planet earth is the only known place in the universe where life in any form exists.

And there we must consult the higher life forms such as humans because they are assumed to be best able to think. And there was no higher thinker than someone like Einstein who has quite correctly pointed out that there is nothing in the entire universe known to be infinite except for one thing.

And that quantity is human stupidity itself.

So there you have it folks, we need a human stupidity engine and anandtech is a good place to start. We can thus generate infinite power.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Lemon law

And there we must consult the higher life forms such as humans because they are assumed to be best able to think. And there was no higher thinker than someone like Einstein who has quite correctly pointed out that there is nothing in the entire universe known to be infinite except for one thing.

And that quantity is human stupidity itself.

So there you have it folks, we need a human stupidity engine and anandtech is a good place to start.

And it was either Harlan Ellison or Robert Heinlein who tied them together by observing, " The two most abundant things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." :cool:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa
CADsortaGUY

Do you think that the excess electrical capacity of a car charging system would produce hydrogen at any useful rate? I would think any production would be quite small.

I live in Ohio, and I am sure I know what would happen to my water tank in the winter.

That is the issue at hand here, is the added fuel(oxy and hyd) to the mix more than the extra engine load.
However, there are other considerations since you are changing the oxygen content of the intake air - potentially making for better or more efficient burning of the liquid fuel. OR potentially changing it enough to confuse the "computer".

But yes, you have to deal with water freeze but if it's located in the right place, it will use the engine heat to warm/melt and then start the process. It wouldn't work for short commutes in that case.

But again, you'd have to run tons of trials just to get some good repeatable data, and lastly you'd need long term trials to make sure corrosion isn't a factor due to browns gas and any other gases released(due to not using PURE water), etc.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
why did it take 4 dollar per gallon gas to come up with this? Sheesh, I would think IF this were true we would see water powered cars hitting the markets like next week.... Unless your government wants you to continue to pay for high gas prices???

Maybe there is a conspiracy going on. Money talks and BS walks, I guess when you see the guy dead taken out by big oil industry then you will know he might have had a pretty good idea. What about the car that ran on air? I still don't see any reason why we are still selling cars that get less then 40MPG. But....I'll let you do the math.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: ericlp
why did it take 4 dollar per gallon gas to come up with this? Sheesh, I would think IF this were true we would see water powered cars hitting the markets like next week.... Unless your government wants you to continue to pay for high gas prices???

Maybe there is a conspiracy going on. Money talks and BS walks, I guess when you see the guy dead taken out by big oil industry then you will know he might have had a pretty good idea. What about the car that ran on air? I still don't see any reason why we are still selling cars that get less then 40MPG. But....I'll let you do the math.

This isn't new.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
I developed a car that runs on piss.

There is a retractable attachment for male and female drivers.

"Never stop for piss breaks again!" is my slogan.

Comes with built in toilet paper dispensers located right below the cup holders.

The leather seating option is strongly recommended.