Run PhysX on second card

Apr 4, 2015
I was looking at something recently and it seemed like the author said he was using a second GPU card to run PhysX. What do you guys think he meant by that? Was he using it SOLELY to run PhysX?

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
If you have two Nvidia cards (you CAN NOT use secondary GPU with AMD installed at all, it will force disable phsyx acceleration due to Nvidia's drivers) you can use the 2nd as a dedicated gpu for physx, it only works in a few games like batman or borderlands.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
They don't need to be the same card. If you want to do SLI then you'll need the same card.

I wouldn't recommend buying a dedicated physx card, if you have an older gen card you can throw it in there to test it, but I wouldn't spend the money for a new (or even used) card. Like I said, there are only a few games that even work with it.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
They don't need to be the same card. If you want to do SLI then you'll need the same card.

I wouldn't recommend buying a dedicated physx card, if you have an older gen card you can throw it in there to test it, but I wouldn't spend the money for a new (or even used) card. Like I said, there are only a few games that even work with it.

I'll second this - there are so few games using Physx to make this worth it.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I have a dedicated 750ti for physx. I have to say it's kind of a waste of time.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
If you have two Nvidia cards (you CAN NOT use secondary GPU with AMD installed at all, it will force disable phsyx acceleration due to Nvidia's drivers) you can use the 2nd as a dedicated gpu for physx, it only works in a few games like batman or borderlands.

I miss the days of working Hybrid PhysX :(

Not sure why Nvidia wouldn't want to sell a dinky little GPU to AMD users. Money is money!

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Last I knew, it was only on 8/8.1 that you could run two GPUs using different drivers at once. Before then, I thought that was not workable. So it'd have to be a PhysX card like we had years ago...and we all know how that went.