Rumsfeld asks Congress for $128b more for Iraq

minibush1

Sep 14, 2003
Rumsfeld asks Congress for $128b more for Iraq
Last Update: Thursday, September 25, 2003. 8:10am (AEST)

US Secretary of Defence Donald Rumsfeld has urged the Congress to quickly approve another $128 billion for Iraq's reconstruction.

But some politicians are reluctant to grant the funds.

Mr Rumsfeld says the money is vital to ensure Iraq is thoroughly rebuilt.

"I believe our nation can afford whatever it needs to defend our people," Mr Rumsfeld said.

But some Senators, including Democrat Robert Byrd, say the American people did not realise what they were signing up for.

"The American people have never been told that we're going in that country to build a new nation," Mr Byrd said.

Senator Byrd says Americans were told the US was going into Iraq to remove its weapons of mass destruction, not to recreate the political landscape in the Middle East.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
..... $83billion... and another $128billion

the US can do this alone right?

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
That can't be right. Nothing I have heard indicates they are asking (at this point) for more than the $87 billion. That would be like asking for eleventy billion dollars.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
While it wouldn't surprise me if it were true, is there any chance that $128B (Aus) is about $87B (US)?

Never mind, I just looked it up. At today's exchange rate, they're the same. No news here.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
whew -- thanx bowfinger, i was about to go on an anti-bush regime rampage at that dollar figure outrage! lol

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
While it wouldn't surprise me if it were true, is there any chance that $128B (Aus) is about $87B (US)?

Never mind, I just looked it up. At today's exchange rate, they're the same. No news here.

"US Secretary of Defence Donald Rumsfeld has urged the Congress to quickly approve another $128 billion for Iraq's reconstruction."

So your estimate is correct, HOWEVER Rumsfeld himself is asking for more resources ($87 Billion on TOP of the $87 Billion asked by the President Himself) 87+87 = $174 Billion US dollars... :Q

Good ol' Rummy.. :|

JackStorm

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2003
Rumsfeld and the higherups at the pentagon can't be trusted...They're always up to no good and asking for more money for whatever funky sh!t they're up to at the moment.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Rummy should just do this on the cheap. Perhaps him and Bush can dispatch the faith-based neighborhood healers to Iraq. After all, they're getting the federal money now, they can get their asses over there and help.

galperi1

Oct 18, 2001
jeez, why can't they use this money to subsidize or maker higher education in the US free like in other countries in the world :( I'm sure all this money we are spending on Iraq could cover it or at least most of it

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
It's too late to talk about how we should be spending money. Bush has already commited our country to a massive boondoggle. And contrary to popular belief . . . "we wuz fooled", Sen. Bob "Spend every dime in the Treasury" Byrd . . . either Mitch Daniels or some other administration bean counter gave a war estimate in the $200B range late 2002-early 2003. And Shinseki gave a troop estimate of several hundred thousand and occupation for several years. You people didn't listen. While some of us took to the streets, many of you just hopped on the War Bandwagon. Now you are jumping off and pointing the finger at Bush. The Bushies deserve a lion's share of the blame but in a democracy the people are ultimately responsible for the actions of their leadership. Hell 50% of America thinks Bush is doing a good job.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
you dolts, if you weren't so busy looking at ragtags all over the globe trying to find anything negative about the bush administration you could pull your head out of your ass and see that it means $128B australian, or $86,834,999,932 US dollars. This is nothing new it's what was proposed some time ago.