Rumor: Microsoft slaps warez in the cheek! ???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PCResources

Banned
Oct 4, 2000

<< Wow... some of the most idiotic conversation I've read in a while. Spy goodies? Give me a break. Would you want to work hard on something and then have people steal it from you? I wouldn't think so. In fact, you'd take whatever measures you could to stop it... I won't even start on the comment about the trained monkeys. >>

I think he was referring to security holes, there are a big bunch of them in WinXP, there are a big bunch of them (still) in W2K and NT4...

About linux, more game developers are turning to linux, corel have their suites ready, you have five free office suites for free... But no, you cannot get MS Office, and most games are still not converted...

It will take a few years, and the only reason that it takes that long is that people like you are not willing to understand that Linux is a real alternative...

If Microsoft implemented HW protection, Linux would be the biggest OS over night... that is the real truth, now MS is taking the first step towards stopping pirating their products, soon enough their sales will be 1% of what they used to be...

That is what i think, most people are happy about W2K, but if they had to pay for it, their tune would change...

Patrick

Lyquid

Jul 10, 2001
I don't need to be convinced to use Linux. When it has what I want, I'll use it. When it behaves the way I want, I'll use it. I won't use it because other people hail it as the alternative and say it's better because it's open source; Open source may be better, but then again, it may not. That's for everyone to decide on their own.

Security holes... maybe, but that doesn't say anything about the security of Linux. If someone wants to break into a machine, he'll do it regardless of which OS is running... A network or computer is only as secure as the admin makes it - keep that in mind.

Whatever... doesn't matter in the end. This reminds me too much of the arguments that start over which is better for graphics (mac or pc)... in the end it doesn't really matter except to the person that uses it. And then end results can be good or bad depending on who is at the keyboard.

Like I said before... whatever.

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
PCResources, whats wrong with XP, seems like your taking the words of ms bashers who havent used XP. RC1 is extreamly bug free and smooth. It is a definate enhancment over 9x and 2k. The faq that Linux is the future may be true but not at the moment, people are still sucking up the windows OS and linux is no where near the consumer market. XP is the next OS and everyone will take it just as MS pitches it (execept hardcore linux people and you ;))

PCResources

Banned
Oct 4, 2000

<< PCResources, whats wrong with XP, seems like your taking the words of ms bashers who havent used XP. RC1 is extreamly bug free and smooth >>

What is wrong with XP? Compared to what? I don't like W2K either, in about four SP's or so it will be bug free i guess...

To understand what is wrong with XP you have to know what is wrong with W2K, it has to do with workarounds, and no small workarounds, major ones... You see, in W2K there were no bug fixes, there were workarounds that provided new unexpected errors in the OS and caused it to grow into the massive resource gulping monster that it is, XP is in no way different, it still is the basic kernel, with a few add ons.

In Linux, there are no such things, if something does not work, it is completely rewritten and analyzed, no need to add files that will make the errors work there...

This is just one of the flawes that comes with ANY MSOS...

Believe me, i am using no one elses words, that is why i am considered an arrogant person around here, i speak my own mind, and i rarely agree with the general opinions...

Patrick

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
damn, you're just bashing down MS aren't ya there :) You gotta admit tho, MS has done one hell of a job getting a comsumer OS out there. Can't say much about networking and servering tho....

PCResources

Banned
Oct 4, 2000

<< damn, you're just bashing down MS aren't ya there :) You gotta admit tho, MS has done one hell of a job getting a comsumer OS out there. Can't say much about networking and servering tho... >>

Actually, no, i am not bashin MS, i just post their mistakes, it is not my mistake, it is their, i'm just pointing it out to the consumers...

A consumer OS? Did they create a consumer OS or did they just try to do their best and pushed their PR very hard?

Think about it, MacOS was (and i do mean was) a great consumer OS before MS ever thought of windows, Linux with the X window system is just as good as MS... The games are lacking but the apps are up to date...

I think that MS is trying to dictate the rules for the market, i know that most consumers wont like that, i think that MS is going to be one lonely company in the end... that is what i think...

Patrick