Rumor: Kim Jong Un will test a Nuclear (H bomb) ICBM in the southern pacific ocean

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
That's 10,000+ km from North Korea, to prove that he can threaten the US mainland. This is what I am hearing. I think there is a possibility it's true...

This most recent threat to exterminate all of North Korea by Trump has opened up a whole new ball game. You can tell by the fact that for the first time Kim Jong Un himself is making statements through north korean news agencies. Trump basically threatened genocide for even threatening to attack the US or its allies. That basically means that in order to save face, Kim must show that he is not BSing. He has no other option. I think Trump is setting this up without having the slightest idea what he's done. He thinks Kim can be bossed around.... and he doesn't care or doesn't understand the consequences.

I don't pretend to know how the US military will respond to this... but I am concerned it won't be good. The one person I spoke to indicated this would be sufficient to provoke an attack by the US... at which point world war will break out. I am closing all of my positions tomorrow. Everything. Not even joking here.

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah if he launches a live warhead all bets are off.

Can't wait to see the rhetoric when the Winter Olympics are in South Korea next year. No way Kim passes up that chance to be a nuisance.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
I will leave my EFX puts open because F that company. Everything else goes to cash.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Isn't it great to have been born in the 80s? I'm just barely old enough to remember fearing nuclear war. I bet these new kids don't even know what they've been missing. Mushroom clouds are pretty cool if you can watch them from far away.

It's been nice while it lasted, I guess. I'm definitely gonna order an iPhone X because god knows that's the last iPhone we'll get if this goes down.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Link: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/21/kim-jong-un-trump-north-korea-threats

Has anyone ever tested an ICBM with a live warhead on it? I can't imagine what the response would be if he does that. I hope at a minimum we'd attempt to shoot it down.

I can't believe how bad Trump has fucked up the NK situation. He is basically taking the raving lunatic approach. It is really sad when Kim Jong-un seems like a better leader than the president of the US.

Reactions: Ken g6

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Has anyone ever tested an ICBM with a live warhead on it? I can't imagine what the response would be if he does that. I hope at a minimum we'd attempt to shoot it down.

If Kim launches a live nuke, I want North Korea wiped off the map.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Link: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/21/kim-jong-un-trump-north-korea-threats

Yes, the US did it in 1962. http://military.wikia.com/wiki/W47

The W47 is the only US ICBM or SLBM warhead to have been live fired in an atmospheric missile and warhead test, on May 6, 1962. This event took place during shot Frigate Bird which was part of the Dominic test series. While stationed off Johnston Island, the American submarine USS Ethan Allen fired a Polaris-A2 missile at an open ocean target point in the vicinity of Palmyra Atoll.

twjr

Jul 5, 2006
As someone from the south pacific, I'd really prefer that you kept this squabble to the northern hemisphere.

If NK goes through with this threat then shit is going to hit the fan.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
So, this is really where the problem with our tweeter in chief starts getting real, really fast. He says whatever he feels like without any kind of thought or direction. He also can't be seen as weak or shown up by anyone publicly. He also can't back down. His mental condition(s) prevent it. Shitty circumstances when you're talking about nuclear war with two raving lunatics on either side of the conflict.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Best response would be to shoot it down before it detonates. If you try and fail though, that could end up being the worst response. That said, this situation just keeps getting worse and Trump is the main reason.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016

If North Korea is "wiped off the map" without attacking anyone China will retaliate. Russia very well might also. You could see an attempted decapitation strike on D.C. and wherever else they think Trump might be.

The real question I have is at what point do the KGB or Chinese intelligence decide that decapitating the US is a better option than nuclear world war.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
This is the problem with threatening a country with abject extermination, sanctioning it and getting other countries to sanction it economically, refusing to negotiate with it on equal terms... an then finally refusing to believe it has any capacity to retaliate. Eventually the bullied kid on the playground fights back and the bully better hope the kid doesn't actually bring a knife to the fight.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

... You are going to take a shovel there and dig up the whole country and throw it out to space? Cuz anything short of that is going to get a shit ton of people killed.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
If North Korea is "wiped off the map" without attacking anyone China will retaliate. Russia very well might also. You could see an attempted decapitation strike on D.C. and wherever else they think Trump might be.

The real question I have is at what point do the KGB or Chinese intelligence decide that decapitating the US is a better option than nuclear world war.

This can't be done as far as I understand. ICBMs have a lengthy travel time, enough so that there is ample time to know they are coming and launch in return. This is why nuclear war spells the end of life on the planet. I suppose they could park a sub off the US coast and nuke Trump from there, but even then there will be sufficient time to respond.

In short, that hypothesis is madness and will not happen I expect, as it would only catalyze WW3 and our extinction, not prevent it. If they were wanting to do something like that, I believe they would go for a much simpler assassination attempt, rather than a nuke!

A realistic potential though is that nutcase Trump nukes NK and that will provoke a nuclear response from either China or Russia, then the Earth's ecosystem dies out for the most part, it goes through another mass extinction event, and that is that. Back to square one and maybe in a few hundred million years another self-aware species emerges that does not produce complete fuckups like Trump and Kim-Jung :D

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
This can't be done as far as I understand. ICBMs have a lengthy travel time, enough so that there is ample time to know they are coming and launch in return. This is why nuclear war spells the end of life on the planet. I suppose they could park a sub off the US coast and nuke Trump from there, but even then there will be sufficient time to respond.

In short, that hypothesis is madness and will not happen I expect, as it would only catalyze WW3 and our extinction, not prevent it. If they were wanting to do something like that, I believe they would go for a much simpler assassination attempt, rather than a nuke!

A realistic potential though is that nutcase Trump nukes NK and that will provoke a nuclear response from either China or Russia, then the Earth's ecosystem dies out for the most part, it goes through another mass extinction event, and that is that. Back to square one and maybe in a few hundred million years another self-aware species emerges that does not produce complete fuckups like Trump and Kim-Jung :D

I was more thinking the KGB would target Trump himself. Trump is the problem here, not Kim Jong Un and not the GOP leadership. It couldn't be that hard considering Trump surrounds himself with people who will do anything for money and have very low morals. I can imagine that his own son might consider a Dacha near the Kremlin and a few hundred million roubles as a better than a prison cell in the US or nuclear war.

We all know the Trumps are prone to be manipulated by Russians. Maybe the Russians will off him when they see he is endangering their schemes with world war.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Diplomacy is not working. It never does, because diplomacy is not a deterrent. That North Korea even has an H-bomb capability is proof enough of that. Decades of sanctions and slaps on the wrist, and yet they still developed the capability.

Time to call North Korea's bluff. If North Korea decides to fling an H-bomb into the Pacific, that demands a response from the international community.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010

I have a better idea -- how about you, Trump, Kim, anyone else who casually threatens nuclear war, and especially the dumb shit American conservatives who are directly responsible for this idiocy when everyone with a brain knew this was likely to happen get wiped off the map instead. The world would be a hell of a lot better off for it.

For fuck's sake, this is why we don't let people like Dump or yourself into the White House.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Diplomacy is not working. It never does, because diplomacy is not a deterrent. That North Korea even has an H-bomb capability is proof enough of that. Decades of sanctions and slaps on the wrist, and yet they still developed the capability.

Time to call North Korea's bluff. If North Korea decides to fling an H-bomb into the Pacific, that demands a response from the international community.

Whether diplomacy is the right solution is a separate argument from Trump's comments. He is throwing fuel on a fire. And I agree that it seems in danger of escalating precisely to a point that demands response.

If Trump et al. were to work with international allies on a coordinate plan of action to address North Korean escalation and shut his trap, then this would be OK. So far his actions have been to publicly call out foreign nations with neither warning nor nuance. That's deeply concerning.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If North Korea is "wiped off the map" without attacking anyone China will retaliate.

Launching a live nuke is an act of war. China can !@#$ off at that point.
The study predicted that roughly 2.4 million people could eventually die from cancer as a result of atmospheric testing.

Last edited:

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
It might be time to trot out one of our anti missile laser platforms and kill the bird. A good test for us.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Yes, the US did it in 1962. http://military.wikia.com/wiki/W47

The W47 is the only US ICBM or SLBM warhead to have been live fired in an atmospheric missile and warhead test, on May 6, 1962. This event took place during shot Frigate Bird which was part of the Dominic test series. While stationed off Johnston Island, the American submarine USS Ethan Allen fired a Polaris-A2 missile at an open ocean target point in the vicinity of Palmyra Atoll.

Wow, interesting, thanks for the info.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I have a plan. Ignore him. Throw every conceivable sanction on him we can and ignore him. I am surprised there are sill things left to sanction. He knows if he ever did anything to another county other than flap his lips or fire a missile into the ocean the whole world would come down on him. His self preservation is strong so he won't. IMO we should get the majority of troops out of NK.

Ignore him, ignore Kim.

Last edited:
Reactions: Homerboy

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
If Lil Kim launches a live nuke in a non threatening manner it should be viewed just like any other countries launch. If he deliberately sends it over a population center or detonates it near a populated area or shipping lane then that is another matter indeed. If he's crazy enough to do that then the world will be forced to respond to a tangible act. Mouthing off is not justification for war!

Reactions: Thebobo

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Even if we attack NK, there will not be nukes flying around from China or Russia. They are are smart enough to isolate the conflict in just that reason. The most they would do is scramble their armed forces to defend NK and we will be fighting over that territory. Unfortunately, NK and SK will suffer, possibly Japan as well depending on how NK lashes out. But in the end, any battles or engagements fought between the US and Russia + China will be over NK and possibly SK. China and Russia will not be nuking the US and vice versa, it is foolish to even consider that.

As for NK launching a live nuke, if it confirmed there is a live warhead in the ICBM, the US has to shoot it down and both China and Russia probably will not defend NK at that point. Unfortunately, there are only three bad endings to NK launching a nuke. One, we shoot it down, NK shells SK and we have to flatten them. Two, we fuck up on shooting down the nuke and the world sees that we are now full of shit, NK laughs it up and has even more leverage on the international stage. Three, the ICBM fails and accidentally falls on Japan. Japan gets fucked and we have to flatten NK, in the process SK also takes a ton of damage.

The only solution right now is China telling NK to shut the fuck up and stop it.

If he deliberately sends it over a population center or detonates it near a populated area or shipping lane then that is another matter indeed.

That's the problem, any nuke test into the Pacific by NK will have to either go over SK or Japan. Which is indeed another matter.