Rummy turned down Time Man of the Year award

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: DaiShan
Originally posted by: Czar
definetly the right choice for Rummy, very honorable
but why should he get the award in the first place?

Agreed on both counts, classy, but why was he up for the award? Bush was nominated for Nobel Peace prize, so who knows.

Crazier yet, arafat won it!

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Even if every single event/meeting in that article is accurate . . . calling the Time recognition an award or honor for Rumsfeld is pure BS.

Time Man of the Year isn't an "honor" in the true sense of the word, at least by the stated standards of Time Magazine. By Time's own standard, the choice is supposed to reflect the person who had the biggest impact on news during the course of the year. Adolph Hitler was named as TMOY sometime in the 30s, IIRC. The "award" is designed as more a recognition of a person's newsworthiness more than an affirmative statment of the inherent goodness/badness of the recipient.

By either standard, however, I think Time made a wonderful choice.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Maybe you should inform The Hill and the various AT P&N pinheads that think Rumsfeld did something honorable by recommending others for this honor.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Czar
definetly the right choice for Rummy, very honorable
but why should he get the award in the first place?

AFAIK Time gives that for "Newsmaker of the year" and Rummy definately made the most news this year. Of course, being the worthless piece of trash that Time is, they've been pandering more and more. The american soldier this year, Guliani (yeah, I am sure he made more news than Osama) in 2001 etc.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Whitling
JohnGalt, I loved the part where you said, 01/07/2004 2:10 PM (NEW!)

"I didn't know Donald Duck was on the cover before...oh, wait, you are trying to funny by calling people with whom you disagree names...oh, I get it...thanks for playing. "

Oh, is this different from the thread where I said I was still waiting for the ballyhooed terrorist attack before mid-February and you said, "I know you're waiting, hoping, and wishing.?" [Quote is approximate.]

Is this the same JohnGalt?

Yes, it is the same...did I resort to name-calling? Your logic, reasoning, and word comprehension leave little to be desired.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
You know the rules Whit. Ridiculing is encouraged, name calling is frowned upon.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
If Rumsfeld had any honor he would commit seppuku publicly at dawn outside the Arlington National Cemetary.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
GrGr:

Yes, the only honorable thing to do.

Although, admitting he and Bush made a collosal blunder going into Iraq would be almost as acceptable.

-Robert