* Promise the voters everything, deliver on almost nothing, but keep promising that the Promised Land is just around the next bend.
* Fan resentment as much as possible without actually starting a riot.
* If a riot starts, blame it on the other guy.
* Remember that some people are naturally credulous, some are naturally lazy, some are stupid, some are disadvantaged and content to remain that way, and some are born civil servants. Find these people and make them your constituents. If you take care of them, they will take care of you, pretty much in perpetuity. Thats the deal.
* It is a surer thing to buy or steal an election than to win it.
* Never run an honest race if you can help it.
* Try to eliminate your opponent before the election. Challenge his filing papers, seek to have him removed from the ballot, get your friends in the media especially if one of them is also your campaign manager to call their lawyers and dig up any weapon to hand, including broken beer bottles, pool cues, and your opponents sealed divorce records. Then tell people, more in sorrow than in anger, what a skunk he is.
* Always do it for the children, because even though your richer supporters dont have any kids, your poorer ones have millions of them.