Question Rugged external drive recommendations?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I've been using Transend StoreJet USB 3.0 HHD rugged drives for a few years with good success. I'm running out of space and the drives are getting long in tooth so I'm looking to replace them. They will bounce (literally) between laptops and desktop which range from Thunderbolt 3 to USB 2.0. The drives will bounce around in my briefcase while traveling off-road often; hot car, freezing expected. The Samsung SSD T7 Shield just reviewed by AnandTech looks like a possibility and I looking for other suggestions. Minimum 2TB capacity needed.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
At the moment or recently, I've done an inventory of some large ThermalTake USB2 and Startech-hot-swap SATA boxes and drives. Four of the TT boxes will go to the recycler with the old disks inside them. the Startechs may come in handy over the next couple years.

I acquired a laptop, and sometimes I need to get a quick backup or clone from either the lappie or a desktop. So I bought some 1TB SK Hynix NVME P31's and some little aluminum "heat-sink" external cases for them (INEO) which are powered exclusively by the USB3 connection. The NVME's are about $100 apiece. You can say that's expensive. The 2TB drives are about $250 apiece.

A lot of folks would say the price per GB is too high for that, but the INEO boxes are very small, easy to transport, easy to mount and plug in.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I had a T7 Touch that broke, and I'm waiting for Samsung to send me my credit so I can replace it. After reading the review, I'm leaning towards the Shield too.