Question RTX3080 650w PS Computer dies same time I do, twice.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I've got a 3950x / RTX3080 being powered by an EA650 serving a Quest 2 VR wirelessly. After some concerns were raised I limited the GPU power to 75%.

The rig has been running perfect/stable in benchmarks and in Alyx. Butter smooth after a 5GHz wifi upgrade.

So I'm playing Alyx on high with ultra textures and everything working great until I drop a live grenade and decide to practice the achievement "Deadly Catch." I grab the grenade with the gravity gloves but it is too late so I die in game with grenade in hand. At the precise moment the grenade should have gone off the computer shuts off which is a weird feeling in VR.

I was quite happy to observe no damage when after a delay the computer came back to life.

I checked the MSI Afterburner settings to discover the power was at 100%. Does that need to be manually set every time?

I manually turn the power down to 75% and apply using the checkmark, then I repeat the adventure, purposely holding a live grenade and BAM the computer dies again!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
The shader effects coupled with the consistent FPS requirement may be pushing the card to its limits. It was VR that destroyed my Z77's PCIe lanes with an RX 580, despite it successfully passing Fur Mark with overclocking.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
This sort of thing is why I use 850W PSUs on my builds. I'm not running anything that would us that much power but, it's a good cushion to have if I decide to add something to the build that uses more power. In the past I've added dual GPU's to the system w/o any issues like mentioned here.

Also, going with something a bit more substantial usually comes with a better warranty as well. Over provisioning your PSU doesn't mean it will actually draw that W's listed for it 100% of the time as it only sucks juice at the level needed at the time. 850's seem to be the sweet spot for pricing as well keeping them at ~$100 or so for a fully modular unit. Going beyond 850 would mean needing several GPU's crammed into a case and then your worry changes to how to keep it from melting down due to heat.

Using pcpartpicker for most things build based shows my power draw could be ~450W w/o anything GPU related. These days though it's not unheard of some of these RTX cards in the 400W+ range with prospects with new power leads hitting 900W in the near future. If I add the 2 GPU's I was using before to the current ADL build though the I easily exceed the 850 PSU by 24W.

There's always a fine line between meeting the needs of system power and leaving yourself some cushion for potential over draws at peak needs. What worked in my prior build with mostly the same components as a 8700K obviously needs more power with 12700K in comparison. The cost difference though going from 850W > 1000W though is substantial at 50% more ($50) for a reliable brand. Comparing apples to apples with the same brand / model line. But, $50 more for the insurance of not having system halts and potential damage / data corruption is worth more in my book.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Part of the problem, I feel, is that an EA650, although a stout PSU, is very rail-limited, being an older Antec "safe" multi-rail design, with fairly low current limiters on each rail.

Combined with a very modern (higher-end 30-series NVidia GPU, which takes a high amount of "peak power"), probably is triggering current-limiting on the PSU, hence why it comes right back in a few minutes.

I think a modern EVGA 750-850W Platinum modular PSU (I picked up some 750W ones for $109 ea., not too long ago) would hit the sweet-spot for that rig.

Edit: Unless. is this an "original batch" GPU, with the M-cap/P-cap issue, where they would crash under full / extreme load, no matter what PSU you had connected? Those GPUs needed to be RMAed to mfg for a cap replacement.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I was hoping the 650w would be enough with the power capped at 75%...
That's not safe, long-term (*), and I'm not certain, that capping the overall power usage does anything to mitigate the transient current surges for the core.

Capping it in software, may work, when it's working, but a driver crash / glitch can reset power tuning back to default, and then you're screwed. Miners have to deal with this situation a lot when sizing PSUs for mining rigs.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If that new PSU desn't work for your situation, and you feel you don't need it, hit me up, and I'll buy it off you at that price you paid. (Edit: I mean the $89.99 for the EVGA 850W Gold)

Pretty sure that should fix the problem, unless it's the card and the "POScap situation".

Last edited:
Reactions: lakedude

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I'm using one of these and also used the supernova on another build and they're built like a tank.

Rebuild buy - 2021
1653187093787.png
This was the first version I bought - 2018
1653187118523.png

I would have bought another one of the G3's but the price went up ~$60 compared to the G+ and it they both do the same thing just a different "class"? marketing? *shrug* but, compared to other options they hold up and I've yet to run into an issue with them. Usually able to find some rebates on them as well which is a perk.

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
That's not safe, long-term (*), and I'm not certain, that capping the overall power usage does anything to mitigate the transient current surges for the core.

How is it implemented? If it limits core voltage especially, then it will have a substantial decrease (^2), or if just clock limit, a linear decrease in current. If both, then both. ;)

Either way, it seems best to buy at the curve on the price:capacity:quality curve right before it starts to steeply go up which is usually around 750W, give or take 100W.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I had this type of thing happen in another game (Psychonauts 2) with the wall fuse in my home. I had the speaker/sub on the same outlet as the PC, and some explosion in the game was causing both the PC power usage and subwoofer power to spike at the same time, causing a shutdown at always that point in time.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
The EVGA 850 Super Nova has been installed and sorta tested. I blew myself up twice in Alyx with no issues, however the location was not the same so I expect the load was less.

Also I don't trust my knowledge of MSI Afterburner because 3D mark had a peak power of about 50 watts less draw, exactly like it would if running at 85%. Like maybe the old setting was still in there even after being reset to 100%?

I'll need to make sure the power is actually at 100 percent and go back to the same place in game to be sure the new PS is the fix. Those gun upgrade stations must be hard to render.

Reactions: Tech Junky

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Update:

I finally got back to the same spot in the game, level 4 Superweapon and the computer didn't die with the SuperNOVA 850 but curiously neither did I. One grenade is not enough to kill you if you have good health to begin with. Also curiously the maximum wattage I could get the 3080 to pull according to HWMonitor was about 327 watts or about 25 watts less than the max it had with the EA650 so not sure why the grenade caused the computer to shutdown with the EA650 unless it was a spike too fast for HWMonitor to measure or something.

The SuperNOVA 850 came with a shorting harness to test the PS out of the system which was kinda cool. I knew right away what the little dongle was for despite not RTFM.