Question RTX 4090 Owner's Thread!

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I don't have one, but figured I'd do you guys a solid and make a thread where people can share their personal experience with the new 4090. I made a similar thread for the 3090TI and it worked out fantastic. I know there's an army of you hardcore enthusiasts on this site that have one, so this thread should have tons of pages worth of posts in no time. Have at it!

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Not far in to the video but the issue immediately reminded me of bios vs uefi bios issues with some video cards years ago.

Edit: His Tachi mobo is retraining the memory after every time he turns off the power supply? Reseating ram I get but turning off the psu is nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea and ZGR

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Edit: His Tachi mobo is retraining the memory after every time he turns off the power supply? Reseating ram I get but turning off the psu is nuts.
I've had more than one AM4 Asrock motherboard that would retrain memory more often than it should or lose BIOS settings after power loss. Really disappointing to hear that after 5 years they still haven't fixed their bios issues.

Reactions: Ranulf

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
Hadn't looked at them or any reviews, so I had no clue what a monster the 4090 would be. Seems like you'd need extra support for the card in a normal tower case? I'd probably have to upgrade the electrical service to my house if I bought one of those (half kidding).

Thankfully I have no need for anything like that.

Reactions: Leeea

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Speaking of poor stock, I've been surprised that Newegg hasn't started up the usual Shuffle nonsense yet. I mean... they've already got the combos ready to throw into it.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I've had more than one AM4 Asrock motherboard that would retrain memory more often than it should or lose BIOS settings after power loss. Really disappointing to hear that after 5 years they still haven't fixed their bios issues.

For what its worth, my Asrock (X570 Steel Legend) has never had this issue. And as I live in California, power outages are more a norm than the exception.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I might try Microcenter. I got my 3090 there two years ago, but you have to get lucky and go in the morning as soon as you see the cards in stock on their website. It's a 45 minute drive for me

I kind of wanted the FE card though, which is only at Best Buy. It seems very well designed this time around, and is not as massive as the others.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I might try Microcenter. I got my 3090 there two years ago, but you have to get lucky and go in the morning as soon as you see the cards in stock on their website. It's a 45 minute drive for me

I kind of wanted the FE card though, which is only at Best Buy. It seems very well designed this time around, and is not as massive as the others.
My local Microcenter had a line of 15 when I was there Sunday morning. I went to pickup DDR 5 memory that I ordered online. You already know what the line was for.

Reactions: CP5670

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
My local Microcenter had a line of 15 when I was there Sunday morning. I went to pickup DDR 5 memory that I ordered online. You already know what the line was for.
Still an improvement, back in 2021, the line would be about 60 people and wrap around the building.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Still an improvement, back in 2021, the line would be about 60 people and wrap around the building.
Oh I know, I was in their line trying to get a 5950 and a 3090. They had neither the 3 or 4 times I stood in line. They had AMD stuff each time I went though. Just not the 5950. I ended up getting a 5900x from the AMD website, and the 3090 FE from Best Buy.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Ended up grabbing a 4090 FE from Best Buy this morning. Now I just need to figure out if I should pre-order a block from EK or wait until Performance PCs gets them in. I am rather surprised that EK is offering active backplates for the 4090. I know they added that as an option for the 3090 due to the rear-mounted memory getting a bit warm. Is there any indication that the power components on the back need any sort of cooling beyond a simple passive backplate?

I've also ordered a set of cables from CableMod. Given that I'm using the stock cables right now, I figured I'd just go with a full set since it's $30 for just the 12VHPWR cable vs. $99 for the whole set.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Ended up grabbing a 4090 FE from Best Buy this morning. Now I just need to figure out if I should pre-order a block from EK or wait until Performance PCs gets them in. I am rather surprised that EK is offering active backplates for the 4090. I know they added that as an option for the 3090 due to the rear-mounted memory getting a bit warm. Is there any indication that the power components on the back need any sort of cooling beyond a simple passive backplate?

I've also ordered a set of cables from CableMod. Given that I'm using the stock cables right now, I figured I'd just go with a full set since it's $30 for just the 12VHPWR cable vs. $99 for the whole set.

Congrats! I know some of us love to trash the card for it's price, but this is still very exciting. The card is insane and you'll love the crap out of it. Do share when you get your hands on it. Hopefully some firestrike and maybe even run Crysis for us? :D

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Congrats! I know some of us love to trash the card for it's price, but this is still very exciting. The card is insane and you'll love the crap out of it. Do share when you get your hands on it. Hopefully some firestrike and maybe even run Crysis for us? :D

How about some Minesweeper to sweeten the pot? :p

Oh, and don't get me wrong... I think the card is stupid expensive too. Awkwardly, one of the reasons why I wanted one is because I saw a Corridor Digital video a few weeks back where they ran the AI image generation software on their own machine and could feed their own images into it. They could send in about 8 photos of one of their personnel, and get results back featuring that person. I was all giddy like a school girl, "I wanna try!" Unfortunately, it requires a video card with 24GB of VRAM. So, my only options were the 3090, 3090 Ti, or 4090. I figured that (unless I wanted a cheap Zotac), there wasn't a ton of value in getting the old card.

Although, that did make me really bummed about the time I waited in line at Best Buy for a card. I wanted to get a 3070 to put in my girlfriend's computer as it was better suited for 2560x1440. I woke up about 20-30 minutes later than intended to go to the store and wait, and ended up a bit further back than desired. As they got close to me, they still had 3070s, 3080 Tis, and 3090s left, and I knew the guy in front of me wanted a 3090. ...and the guy in front of him got the last 3070. I only had seconds to make a decision and just went with a 3080 Ti. I should have gone with the 3090 since my 10% birthday coupon worked with it and not the 3080 Ti, and heck.. I probably could've mined the remaining $150 difference since the 3090 didn't have any limitations. Anyway, if I had done that, I would've had a GPU with 24GB of VRAM to mess around with. :p