Question RTX 4000/RX 7000 price speculation thread

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
My prediction: The entire generation will be 2-3X msrp on ebay and at retailers. RTX 3000 series will be sold along side the 4000 series because only a few will be buying RTX 4000 series who are willing to pay $1500 for what should be a $300 RTX 4060. Not enough supply to meet demand by a long shot, pricing will be through the Oort cloud. PC gaming is dead. Your thoughts?

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I don't know if that's going to be the case. We're already seeing a massive influx of GPU stock and GPU's staying in stock at rapidly decreasing prices. The market may not be back to normal by the time the new GPU's launch, but I think it will have changed significantly from the landscape of the previous launch in late 2020.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I don't know for sure, but I do kinda think prices should be decent, given the supposed performance increase for both series. My concern is the rumors of crazy power draw and new PSU connector types on some cards, which would be a non starter for me. The 3090 power draw is bad enough, I feel that should be the max of a single card out of the box.

Also, I saw a deal today, an MSI custom cooled 6900XT for $1049 at Microcenter. That actually sounds really good.

Reactions: CP5670 and Tlh97

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Welp, it'll depend on launch volume and mining performance. I'd expect a ~20% price hike just due to economic conditions. But if the new cards mine at twice the MHR/Watt - doomsday :(.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I expect launch volume to be a joke and the cards will definitely make mining profitable again. The hash rate will be insane and will make up for the current loss in profits. If a 4060 performs anywhere near a 3080 and has an msrp close to $400, can you imagine the scalpers and miners gouging each other's eyes out in front of Best Buy during the drops? I can. That 4060 will sell on ebay for more than a 3080 does right now. These cards won't be available for at least 6 months after release, assuming Ethereum mining dies from proof of juicy steak.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I do see the top cards to be an alternative to SLI/CF and being priced accordingly. But as long as the price/performance/power consumption ratio is reasonable I don't have a problem with that. Especially as it will work in every game and not have microstutter problems.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I expect launch volume to be a joke and the cards will definitely make mining profitable again. The hash rate will be insane and will make up for the current loss in profits. If a 4060 performs anywhere near a 3080 and has an msrp close to $400, can you imagine the scalpers and miners gouging each other's eyes out in front of Best Buy during the drops? I can. That 4060 will sell on ebay for more than a 3080 does right now. These cards won't be available for at least 6 months after release, assuming Ethereum mining dies from proof of juicy steak.

ETH successfully merged PoS on the final testnet. I know PoS has been delayed by years, but it finally looks to be on track to be implemented this year. This looks to happen before AMD 7xxx and nvidia 40xx release so no, no matter what hashrate 40 series will have, there will be no coin to mine, mining will no longer be an issue.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I don't know for sure, but I do kinda think prices should be decent, given the supposed performance increase for both series. My concern is the rumors of crazy power draw and new PSU connector types on some cards, which would be a non starter for me. The 3090 power draw is bad enough, I feel that should be the max of a single card out of the box.

I wonder about this too. It seems like the 4090 will essentially need a new platform to support its power use, including a new PSU and maybe an AIO cooler as standard.

To be honest, the existing cards already run games very well. I'm not sure what I would even play on a new card that I can't currently play. Maybe VR simracing or RT without DLSS.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I wonder about this too. It seems like the 4090 will essentially need a new platform to support its power use, including a new PSU and maybe an AIO cooler as standard.

To be honest, the existing cards already run games very well. I'm not sure what I would even play on a new card that I can't currently play. Maybe VR simracing or RT without DLSS.
Yeah, the power rumors at the top end are concerning. It's like back to Fermi days. However, midrange cards typically tend to have much more reasonable power consumption since they're not clocked/overvolted to the tilt. 3070 had roughly 2080ti performance while running 60W less. There is a good chance 4060ti/4070 will have better power/efficiency numbers than 30 series.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Remember, once there was also tri and quad fire /SLI setups. They also consumed quite a lot of power.
Lol, I remember the days of dual-GPU/ROG Ares cards. Just threw power consumption out the window just for that extra 50% fps at like double the power. On the bright side, next gen cards appear to be better than 2x power for 1.5x performance. Top Lovelace appears to offer the same perf/W as Ampere with 2x perf and 2x power. Top RDNA3 appears to be a little more power efficient with 2.5x perf at 1.5-2x power.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

ETH successfully merged PoS on the final testnet. I know PoS has been delayed by years, but it finally looks to be on track to be implemented this year. This looks to happen before AMD 7xxx and nvidia 40xx release so no, no matter what hashrate 40 series will have, there will be no coin to mine, mining will no longer be an issue.

What's stopping someone from just making another mineable coin? They will call it Derpthereum and everyone will completely lose their minds and start selling their houses, harvesting their children's organs, robbing banks etc just to get GPU money so they can mine. Then scalpers and miners will engage in hand to hand combat in front of Best Buy again, ripping each other's throats out and tea bagging the fallen all for a 2% chance at getting a card at MSRP so they can flip it for 3X the money or mine on it. You can't see that happening? It's definitely happening. They can just keep making another coin. Why not?

• Haha
Reactions: Tlh97 and psolord

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
What's stopping someone from just making another mineable coin? They will call it Derpthereum and everyone will completely lose their minds and start selling their houses, harvesting their children's organs, robbing banks etc just to get GPU money so they can mine. Then scalpers and miners will engage in hand to hand combat in front of Best Buy again, ripping each other's throats out and tea bagging the fallen all for a 2% chance at getting a card at MSRP so they can flip it for 3X the money or mine on it. You can't see that happening? It's definitely happening. They can just keep making another coin. Why not?

I won't claim to be a cryprocurrency expert by any means but there's a darn lot more going on than "here's a new GPU mineable currency, everyone jump aboard the profit train, choo-choo".

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Even if the prices are high initially, they won't stay there for long.

Intel will be releasing their GPU's this summer, and Ethereum miners should be unloading their stockpiles around the same time once that crypto migrates to Proof Of Stake.

I'm hoping that the confluence of those two events will hopefully cause a supply glut and much cheaper prices.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I won't claim to be a cryprocurrency expert by any means but there's a darn lot more going on than "here's a new GPU mineable currency, everyone jump aboard the profit train, choo-choo".

I get the feeling a high school kid could write one of those for a class project over the weekend. At least that's about as much respect as I have for or even care to know about the stupid coins. All they do is disrupt and destroy things. Miners kick dogs and sell babies into slavery.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
What's stopping someone from just making another mineable coin? They will call it Derpthereum and everyone will completely lose their minds and start selling their houses, harvesting their children's organs, robbing banks etc just to get GPU money so they can mine.

This all depends on there being an actual market for that coin. There are a ton of coins that almost no one wants to have and are thus quite worthless.

Mining of a specific coin is only profitable for the medium term if:
- People actually want to pay decent money for what you mine
- The difficulty of mining is low enough that mining earns more than it costs.

New coins with little demand fail on both. As soon as you start mining them in quantity, the market is flooded with new coins way beyond demand, so prices will fall a lot. Also, the difficulty goes up really fast for coins that haven't been mined that much, so you very quickly start to mine far fewer coins for the same expenditure. So the combined effect is that profitability of mining will fall like a stone.

Bitcoin and Ethereum are a bit special in that the demand is large and kept growing, so mining kept being profitable for a long time (although ASIC mining outcompeted GPU mining for Bitcoin and Ethereum profitability has deteriorated a lot already). Even without proof of stake, mining for Ethereum can't be highly profitable forever, as it would require a permanent growth in demand for Ethereum.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

The hard part would be convincing the bag holders that the new cryptocurrency is worth something. Most of the "professional" crypto investors at this point either think that Proof Of Work mining is a huge waste of electricity (which I agree with), or they're Bitcoin maximalists who think that any crypto that isn't the OG Bitcoin is worthless. That's why you see Proof Of Stake crypto like Luna or Solana becoming popular now with the non-maximalist crowd.

Sure, you might be able to sucker some crypto noobs into buying it, but even those people are becoming a rarity. Most of the new generation crypto suckers already fell for the Dogecoin hype and its various Dogescam clone tokens, and they aren't going to be so gullible next time.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I get the feeling a high school kid could write one of those for a class project over the weekend. At least that's about as much respect as I have for or even care to know about the stupid coins. All they do is disrupt and destroy things. Miners kick dogs and sell babies into slavery.

Ok... then do it! Fork a GitHub repo of (insert minable token here) and start your own blockchain!

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
OK, I'll put us back on topic. I think that the "4080" when it comes out will have an MSRP of $1,699. You're not going to be able to buy one of that price right away, though.

When I buy mine, I'll have to buy it with Dogecoin just to annoy Moonbogg :)

Reactions: Shmee

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
OK, I'll put us back on topic. I think that the "4080" when it comes out will have an MSRP of $1,699. You're not going to be able to buy one of that price right away, though.

When I buy mine, I'll have to buy it with Dogecoin just to annoy Moonbogg :)

I think with how tumultuous SKU designations have been across the last few generations it will be extremely hard to predict where the actual designations will lie, both performance and price wise. Given the 2080 was $800, and the 3080 was $700 (MSRP for FE), I think it would be a stretch to think Nvidia will take that designation and price it up to more than double historical standards.

That being said, I don't have a better guess at what is going to happen. IMO all we can do is wait and see.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
I think with how tumultuous SKU designations have been across the last few generations it will be extremely hard to predict where the actual designations will lie, both performance and price wise. Given the 2080 was $800, and the 3080 was $700 (MSRP for FE), I think it would be a stretch to think Nvidia will take that designation and price it up to more than double historical standards.

That being said, I don't have a better guess at what is going to happen. IMO all we can do is wait and see.
I wouldn't count out Nvidia to charge more for the 4080, especially since it will be on TSMC N5. Nvidia won't have the cost savings they enjoyed with Samsung. Maybe not $1600 but I would easily expect north of $1000.